Snowtown anyone?

Guest WhatNow?

Guest Glindy

I have seen it, it is very good, but I felt it was a bit drawn out, I think it was about 20 minutes too long, and quite a depressing movie too, but to be honest I expected that.

:D

Guest WhatNow?
I have seen it, it is very good, but I felt it was a bit drawn out, I think it was about 20 minutes too long, and quite a depressing movie too, but to be honest I expected that.

:D

I agree, the first half was far too long and, as you say, very depressing, more so when it was a very accurate portrayal of the ordinary lives of much of the population here outside of the leafy suburbs. I think it should be on the list for anyone migrating to see as it paints a very different picture of (one part of) Australia than 'Wanted Down Under'. Although most of us wouldn't choose to live in the areas where these events took place, some of us may have to work with people that do and it could be a bit of a shock when you've come here with rosy specs on...

Poverty, evil and lawlessness can flourish anywhere, not just in the inner cities of the UK.

Guest moonraker1959

Apparently (review in newspaper)said people were walking out of the cinema,because some scenes were just too awful.I don't watch horror/murder type movies,and until I read that review I might of been tempted as I have been to Snowtown!To whoever said in a post earlier about not showing that type of thing in "Wanted Down Under"(I think you were referring to some of the suburbs/country places/people)I think they should make a series that does'nt show people having BBQ's on beaches drinking champagne,and maybe show a different side to Australia that the average pom does'nt see.I drove my OH around a few choice suburbs last time we were back,and he was quite shocked how some people live.I know,because many years ago,when I first got married we started off in one of those suburbs and it was'nt pretty at all.Saved up every cent we could,and after 2.5yrs got the hell out of there!

Guest WhatNow?

Moonraker you are quite right - and it was me who said that...I have also seen them and they are indeed not a pretty sight. It would give people a more balanced view if they saw some of these places.

And I bet she wouldn't have been surprised if it had been a murder...

By the way, a couple of people walked out when we watched it. I think that if you had only read the newspaper reports you might have thought it would be 'entertaining' in a 'Silence of the Lambs' way...sadly it was all too realistic.

Guest moonraker1959

So was it really gruesome?Someone told me there was animal cruelty in it?I think that would put me off????I try and watch aussie movies,last one I watched was Samson and Delilah.It was extremely slow and pretty boring too tbh,but OH quite enjoyed it!lol

I went to see it with my wife last week and it was grim. How they managed to make life look that depressing in South Australia I dont know. It was very grey and gloomy (type of filming I think) and it did portray a very crap picture of life in those areas. It reminded me of Britain...

Thinking back though, it could have been filmed on many of the council estates in Nottingham where we're from. Used to have to go to a lot of them for work and they were just the same. Probably have a lot more crime in those parts of Nottingham too.

I think the difference is that a lot of the stuff that happens in places like that just doesnt get reported anymore.

Calling it "country" South Australia is a bit of a stretch though. Only one of the murders was committed in Snowtown, (the last one) but unfortunately they got stuck with the label because most of the bodies were found there. The murders were mostly committed in Salisbury North, Murray Bridge, and a few other outlying towns. Hardly the middle of nowhere..

The film is quite graphic in a few places, but much of what occured is left to the imagination which is probably a good thing. That said, if you are easily disturbed, dont watch it. It is quite depressing.

Guest WhatNow?
I went to see it with my wife last week and it was grim. How they managed to make life look that depressing in South Australia I dont know. It was very grey and gloomy (type of filming I think) and it did portray a very crap picture of life in those areas. It reminded me of Britain...

Jim, they didn't have to make it look like that - it really does. There are tracts of Housing Trust homes in many suburbs that look just like the ones in the first part of the movie. A friend of mine worked in Modbury for Community Services and tells me that there are areas of several streets that look just like that even in Modbury (as there are in most parts of any city). The houses were supposed to be at Waterloo Corner, a 30 minute drive from Adelaide, but as a previous poster said much of it was filmed in Davoren Park. These are the outlying suburbs that fall into the category 'North' that so many people seem to have heard about.

The locals have a word for places and people like this which new migrants will maybe not have heard - it is 'feral' and is very descriptive.

This is why those of us who have been here a while will tell anyone who asks on this forum that there are good and bad bits of all suburbs and it is dangerous to generalise. One way to tell how 'nice' or 'desirable' an area is, is the average property price, which is available on Domain.com along with all sorts of other demographic information such as the proprotion of people from different countries of origin, and the age distribution of the area.

Guest SA Great

It reminded me of Britain...

LOL thats gold. I have seen the movie and thought it was excellent. The hand held camera work at the start made me feel sick but it got better as it went on. I really liked it. Could have been shot in Oldham which I was unlucky enough to drive through a couple of years ago.