Carbon Tax

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

I see the Carbon Tax has just been announced by the Greens, or was it Labour, or was it the Independants, can't remember whos running the goverment or country at the moment. Anyway i see they are saying tax cuts upto $80k earnings to cover the $10 a week rise in everything, what about those that earn slightly more than that?? I think i might have to look at becoming a bogan and go get all the benefits.

My 2 kids live at home and are both 18 plus, one works the other doesn't, no benefits coming in for them, no relief from the goverment.

As said on a previous thread regarding $90k and baked beans, looks like from July2012 i'll be eating baked beans, cooked on a camp fire,(not gas or leccy or even wood, too many emissions) lit by candles and shopping at Coles for the next year to stock up on beans!!

But the rise of $10 is only actually for the 1st year, wonder what will happen from then on,?:err:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/industries-hit-taxpayers-protected/story-e6frea6u-1226091658865

$7 a week worse off

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/breaking-news/no-money-tree-to-help-all-families-with-carbon-price-costs/story-e6frea73-1226091696530

stevo

Guest PhilC

I saw on the news that anyone earning less than $150k a year would get some sort of rebate, so I guess that effects most of us and if you're earning more than $150k you can probably afford the carbon tax!

Once again those who study hard and get decent jobs, or those who just plain work hard bear the brunt of the tax increase, while the rest get subsidised. Where is the incentive to work hard either in school or at work? And why no carbon tax on car fuel?? Where is the incentive for people to ditch the gas guzzlers? Julia Pilchard should be shipped back to Wales & dropped in an abandoned coal mine. I came here hoping for a fresh approach, but I am just re-living the last 20 years in the UK. It seems Australia is intent on copying and making the same mistakes and also has a new Margaret Thatcher in charge with no credible opposition. I'll try extra hard now to buy as much as I can from overseas and spend as little of my hard earned money in Australia as possible.

oh by the way Phil.....no higher earners can't afford the blooming tax!!!

High earners can't afford $10 a week or $520 per year!! Surely you jest?

I understand compensating the lower earners, as $10 a week is much higher proportionally to their low incomes and under these measures you are still entitled to partial compensation if you earn up to $150,000 per household.

Lol. Welcome to the whinging Poms in Adelaide forum.

Tax is part of life. You don't have to pay it, you can live off the land and live in a cave. If you wanna be part of the civilised world then you have to pay the price.

Chill, it'll be sunny soon.

I was thinking that we are lucky enough to get a tax rebate! The cost of living would have got higher and we could just put up with it. I won't grumble at an extra $510. They say that if you earn less than $80k you are a low income earner, and I thought I earnt a good wage and I don't anything like $80k pa! There will always be people who whinge, what choice do we have?!

Tax is part of life. You don't have to pay it, you can live off the land and live in a cave. If you wanna be part of the civilised world then you have to pay the price.

Where is this land you can simply move onto? Do I have to put my name on a waiting list? Any more taxes get announced and all spare caves will be occupied!

The whole Carbon Tax issue is a complete farce and a rip off, it wont make a blind bit of difference to Australias output of Carbon emmisions, i doubt if ours would even register on the scale, America, China and India cause the majority of carbon Emmisions, ours is neglegable!!!And Global warming is a load of Tosh as well......if it wasn't one thing it would be another, governments will always find ways of squeezing more money from Tax-payers!!!!!!!!

Simon

I saw on the news that anyone earning less than $150k a year would get some sort of rebate, so I guess that effects most of us and if you're earning more than $150k you can probably afford the carbon tax!

I for many years have agreed with this sentiment, but as time goes by and you become luckier in life, you still only live to your means, whether you earn $40K, $80K or $150K. I guess non of us have sympathy for people who earn that much, yet in many instances these are the people who went to Uni for years to become lawyers and doctors, and already pay the highest amount of tax. Should we keep slugging them for more. I guess they will still have to pay more towards the queensland tax when that starts as well as any new taxes that kick in during labours time in charge.

So, by the Gov's own modelling (provided as scenarios at the ABC site: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/07/10/3265828.htm), a family with one earner on $65k and with one child under five will be $43 worse off in the first year. If the same family have both adults working (but collectively still earning the same $65k) they'll be $393 better off, and if that family get more highly paid jobs and between them earn $100k then they'll be $21 better off at the end of the year. Can someone explain how this is fair? :err:

Plenty of examples to mull over but the inconsistent results make the modelling look a bit random!

Jim

Guest Guest5035

Where i work, we have been told as a national wide company the Carbon Tax will cost us $12 million in the first year alone, wonder who will pay for that..the customer??

Stevo