UK & Customs 1 way flight.

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

When entering the UK from australia on a 1 way ticket, do customs interogate you why you are entering on a 1 way ticket? Thinking of getting a 1 way ticket as not sure when returning.

Stevo

Guest Guest5035

Wonder if they require proof of circumstance though?? The other option, is to buy a return, but not sure of time length in the UK. I will buy a return, and fly after about 6 weeks, but the wife not sure.

Stevo

Guest guest3462

Did you not maintain dual citizenship? The most important thing to do IMO!!!

If not, you can reapply for a UK passport and renenter that way. You are after all a UK citizen by birth and can then go for a UK/Aussie dual citizenship.

Guest helene73

I would buy a open ended ticket as your a Ozzie now!

Is it worth the risk of getting pulled and deported,or spending hours in the airport while they check your story out. A single to them sets alarm bells off, you know what they are like on those border control type programs ;)

good luck :)

I didn't renew my European passport, I got an Aussie one instead. I found that there was no queue at all entering the UK at Heathrow whilst all the European passport holders had a massive queue. I must admit though, I did get interrogated at passport control asking why I was visiting the UK and I even had a return flight booked! Bloody cheek!

I would buy a open ended ticket as your a Ozzie now!

Is it worth the risk of getting pulled and deported,or spending hours in the airport while they check your story out. A single to them sets alarm bells off, you know what they are like on those border control type programs ;)

good luck :)

Those rubber gloves and cold gel...ooeer...lol

HG

Son tried on his Aus passport when coming back from Paris on the train, they weren't going to let him in as he didn't have a return out of Uk so he pulled out his UK one. Many Australians are dual cits and hold two passports. If you travel regularly, it just make things easier and seeing as they last for 10 years it is a good investment. Many Aussies don't think of themselves as less than Aussie because they hold dual citizenship either. It's usually the expat new citizens who feel this need to totally shrug off their heritage as they have identity problems......:P

Guest cbeeb

they do not bother we all done it last year as it was way cheaper than buying a return in australia, 2 adults 2 kids saved more than 3K. Definately the way to go

I'll always keep a UK passport, even when I'm an Australian citizen. A british passport is a very handy thing to have.

You might think differently if you had to pay for two and why bother anyway?

When we came to England a couple of weeks ago, the guy at customs wanted to know why we didn't have British passports as well as Australian ones and was a bit rude about it all.

I explained that we were Australian citizens, needed our Australian passports to come home and didn't want the expense of buying each of us British passports when we already had Australian ones...he wasn't convinced but we just smiled and thanked him for his advice to buy them whilst we were over.

LC

Guest Guest5035
You might think differently if you had to pay for two and why bother anyway?

When we came to England a couple of weeks ago, the guy at customs wanted to know why we didn't have British passports as well as Australian ones and was a bit rude about it all.

I explained that we were Australian citizens, needed our Australian passports to come home and didn't want the expense of buying each of us British passports when we already had Australian ones...he wasn't convinced but we just smiled and thanked him for his advice to buy them whilst we were over.

LC

I reckon you got the same bozo we got last September, did he have a suntan

stevo

Unless you've actively renounced your British citizenship, then you are still British too...

Edit to add: however if you enter on an australian passport on one way ticket, shouldn't be a problem, just make sure you've got evidence of available funds with you to buy that return ticket (bank statement or credit card limit letter). Oh and remember you have to abide by the rules of the visitor visa and not overstay...