Drink Driving

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Many many years ago in the UK i got pulled by the cops and breath tested, at that time you could say that my last drink was only a few minutes before and i could have 20 minutes "grace" from the drink to being tested. I was under...but while i waited, they went over the car looking for a reason to give me a ticket, they never found one.

Just wondering if the same 20 minute applies here or even if it still applies in the UK ???

Stevo

Guest cornish Busdriver

Still find roadies funny

When you call into the bottle shop on the way home from work and they offer you a roadie (one for the road)to have on ya way home lol lol lol

First of all I will just make clear that im totally against any drink driving like most.However, Lynnsteve - you mentioned that you are allowed 20 mins grace in the UK- what a load of nonesene! Why would someone who has just downed a pint choose to wait 20 mins- all this will do is make your alcohol reading higher.... (after only 2 mins after downing a pint the alcohol as not ahd time to absorb).Also, if your over the limit your over the limit - no policeman is gonna sit there for 20 mins waiting until you feel that your reading has got better.

Leeo, the 20min is to clear the alcohol that's in the mouth and thus giving a false reading. By waiting 20min and having a glass of water, the mouth is clean, so the only alcohol that affects the test is the alcohol on the breath (which is what the test is calibrated to measure).

So if you're stone cold sober and have a beer and test straight after, you'll blow over, even though your blood alcohol is way below the limit. By waiting 20min, yes the alcohol from the drink will have properly entered the bloodstream and increased the blood alcohol limit, but the alcohol in the mouth will have cleared and give an accurate reading (which if you've only had one beer, should still be under the limit)

Still find roadies funny

When you call into the bottle shop on the way home from work and they offer you a roadie (one for the road)to have on ya way home lol lol lol

I ride a motorbike and filter though traffic regularly, at least once a week I see someone drinking a bottle/can whilst driving, men and women, when I brought this up at a bbq over half the males said that there was nothing wrong with it, when I suggested that they shouldn't be drinking and driving the reply/excuse was "that perhaps that was their first drink of the day and thus they wouldn't be over the limit".:arghh:

I ride a motorbike and filter though traffic regularly, at least once a week I see someone drinking a bottle/can whilst driving, men and women, when I brought this up at a bbq over half the males said that there was nothing wrong with it, when I suggested that they shouldn't be drinking and driving the reply/excuse was "that perhaps that was their first drink of the day and thus they wouldn't be over the limit".:arghh:

Drivers get fined for using their mobile phone (in hand), is that the same if they are drinking from a bottle?

Cooler

If its your first beer and your driving then its the same as driving with a can of coke or water as your not over the limit.As for this being the same offence as a mobile phone whilst driving - I doubt it. If you went to court for driving whilst drinking a bottle of water and ended up with a mobile phone offence which warrents 3 points and a few hundred dolalr fine then you would be pretty gutted.

In brief the 20minute wait is on the recommendation of the maufactUrer of the intoxilyser.

I would suggest that if you argue about the twenty minute grace period the cop may then give you a good cause defence and suggest you re consider your options.

The RBT (Random breath test) is a screening device and gives the police the suspicion that you may be committing the offence.

Under section 47 RTA you can then be required to provide a sample of breath for analysis.This is then conducted at the station, I would suggest that by the time you get through the procedureu and the preamble of the BA operator, 20 minutes would be a distant memory, as may you licence maybe.

The point of mouth alcohol highlights the reason why the officer may choose to wait,as the body will breakdown alcohol by the organs, namely the liver, see George best for meaning of bad liver.

As it deals with the alcohol the average body will reduce it's alcohol level by between .O2 and .04 per hour this is an agreed scientific level he in SA.

So for example blow .083 at 5.30 pm get an instant loss of licnece for 6 months due o the level on the ILOL.. Game the blood option and attend hospital, supply blood at 20.00 reading states .043 ... The maths is around the level but you would still have to attend court and possibly argue the fact in a trial.The twenty minutes is a guideline and one that would certainly not give you much defence when the BA instrument gives a reading over the prescribed limit.

Oh And consider the other factors, loss of employment, death of innocent members of he public and he impounding fee of 848.20.

Maybe best wait a little longer if you think 20 minutes is not long enough.

Guest Guest5035
I don't know about the 20 min thing but they have been cracking down on drink driving. Just be a good boy and don't drink and drive, naughty naughty.

lisa

thats one thing i don't touch if i'm driving now.

stevo

Guest lastboyscout
IMO the level should be ZERO.

stevo

I agree, the system over here is confusing, they should make it clearer how many drinks you can have not measure the standard drinks etc.etc

Best thing to do is not drink at all :wink:

Not saying right or wrong but this is perfectly legal in uk also.

Guest cornish Busdriver
Very true, and changing stations on the radio, but its not the fact that you are drinking an alcoholic drink, i have a friend who was fined for eating a pasty at a traffic lights in south wales lol ;)

That could be bacause it takes 2 hands to eat a real pasty

Guest tinkham_lee

In UK it is illegal to have an alcoholic drink open in the car. My mate got stopped because his friends were passing round a bottle in the back, Although he hadn't been drinking he got fined as he was the driver and its was his responsibility.

Over here, it is illegal to eat or drink whilst driving and you can be done for driving without due care and attention.

The UK to my knowledge does not have a open vessel restriction in place, that may have changed from 2009 but I doubt that legislation has changed. I am aware the united states does have that law, but I think you may have only been given half a story.In regards to here, if you are observed to be not in proper control or driving with consideration or attention, you may be prosecuted. Observation from a Patel officer of a driver stuffing his/ face with a food item, reading a map or applying lip stick may result in such a charge.Try selecting park in a safe position applying hand brake and enjoy the pasty lip stick or what ever else is in your hand.I really find this amusing 64 road deaths over 655 serious accidents and people want to drive undertaking house hold chores.You deserve every demerit point given, you could end up killing somebody I know!!!