What I miss v What I love

Guest loopylisa

Guest loopylisa

Hi all,

4am and awake with stomach ache :wideeyed:. So thought I would start a fun thread of things you miss about you UK and things you are looking forward too or enjoy about oz, could be food, events, places etc anything!!!!

What I will miss

-The UK high street and fashion availability(Topshop, Primarni, River Island, Clarks, Office etc!!!)

-Autumn and the leaves

-Xmas when its cold and snowy(although not on xmas day), wooly hats and gloves and icy breath and a red nose and coming inside and warming up

-Family and friends

-My car

-Lack of mosquitoes

What Im looking forward to

-Being with my boy

-Smooth roads to drive on

-Nicer beaches

-Being able to eat outside alot more

-Being able to dry my clothes outside alot more

-Farmers union iced coffee, balfours frog cakes, bubble o bills, haighs choccies, lamingtons!!!, bubble tea, teevee snacks, BBQ shapes, burger rings

-BBQ weather

In this exercise I actually realised I am not going to miss as much as I thought I would. That is until I get back to oz perhaps!

Guest bishop3912

This will be a good thread to read lol.

What I miss about UK:-

The UK High street and shops & clothing choices

Having a lovely warm house with central heating and double glazing

Snow

Family and friends

Being able to pop to Europe for breaks & holidays at a really cheap price

Not having to watch every penny

Great cadburys chocolate, cheese and onion walkers crisps, Double Deckers, Fab croissants, onion rings

Supermarkets being open 24-7 (sad I know lol) (& not being shut on bank hols)

Robins & Squirrells

What I like about Adelaide

Close proximity to beaches

parks & playparks

free BBQs at the park

seeing Koalas, Roos, parrots and Eagle outside my door

You have to be careful with a thread like this, the fun police will be out telling you that you aren't allowed to miss anything from the UK.

I still miss a greasy cafe selling breakfast butties on door stop bread.

What I love is "the warm weather". I know it's shallow, but it just makes you get outside and explore. There's so much to see in the UK too, but it's so grey so often you end up not going.

Guest Guest75

What I miss from the UK................

Family and some lovely friends who just can't make it out here.

Real Yorkshire Fish and chip. Flakes of juicy white Haddock fried in beef dripping.

Nice old country pubs on a Winter Sunday afternoon. Could do with a few local boozers around these parts.

Some of the banter with my old friends and business associates.

Game and clay shooting on a Sunday morning with a raging hangover.:wacko:

Mrs Tyke............... my love is visiting rellies in the UK for 7 weeks!!!!!!!

What I love about Australia ...............

The freedom.

Aussies saying how it really is.

The Aussie "way" (mateship ,always offer help and stuff).

The space.

New friends and actually having time for them.

The ability to be out and about in winter.

So many places to see and explore - and that's just SA!

The Flinders, a special place.

Opportunity to buy and use a boat.

Going out very early with mates fishing with a raging hangover. (didn't I just nearly say that?):goofy:

The wildlife.

Just small things sometimes............ here I am sat in the office,window open,warm breeze blowing in,looking through the oranges growing in the garden towards the sea.

Some of the things I miss are not really there any more if you know what I mean, just a memory now.

I'll shut up now............:cute:

Guest cornish Busdriver

What i miss

Looking out back of the house and seeing a bloody big castle

Biker partys without being raided by cops

Lush green fields, the smell of sillage and cow crap in the morning (i did live near a farm lol lol lol)

The moors (Dartmoor and Goss moor)

Cornish roads

Fishing ports

REAL PASTIES, spingo and real ale

Fishing on the Tamar or the cliffs at Rame Head

Building bikes in a mates garage

What i dont miss

Snow, Rain, Hail and ice

Busting my ass working all the hours for a crap pay cheque

The cost of living (bloody expensive in Kernow)

Traffic jams

Road tolls

Too many different languages

Political correctness

Class based enviroments

What i love about South Australia

A lot like Kernow but sunny lol lol

40C + days in the summer

Being able to afford my dream house

Great pay each week

Fishing

Classless enviroments (kind of)

Friendlyness

Aussies saying how it really is.

The Aussie "way" (mateship ,always offer help and stuff).

Living by the beach

Chilled out, do it later life style

Watching dolfins playing or bloody big sting rays in the surf.

The list just goes on and on and on and on

Guest Adelaide_bound

This is a great thread imho - and it makes me a happy bouncy girl to read all the 'what I miss' lists and think either 'hmm, nope, personally won't miss that' (not that I'm taking anyone's miss list away from them, all perfectly valid misses) or think 'hmm, business opp for cornish pasty company' lol.

Roll on next Jan!!!! (and I can't do lists as I'm not there yet so would be pure fantasy I'm sure....)

Guest cornish Busdriver
This is a great thread imho - and it makes me a happy bouncy girl to read all the 'what I miss' lists and think either 'hmm, nope, personally won't miss that' (not that I'm taking anyone's miss list away from them, all perfectly valid misses) or think 'hmm, business opp for cornish pasty company' lol.

Roll on next Jan!!!! (and I can't do lists as I'm not there yet so would be pure fantasy I'm sure....)

Was thinking bout opening up a real pasty shop but mum wont give me her secret way of making them lol lol lol

Guest loopylisa

I also forgot to add the english countryside, from the west country and its really beautiful around here. Its interesting to see that I will miss other things people miss too, the english country style pubs definitely. I also wont miss the class type system. Dartmoor is gorgeous. I used to work in dartmoor and nearly got stuck there in the snow once, but I turned around and then lots of people got stranded in the snow.

But 6 weeks to oz and counting....

Guest SA Great

What I miss

Speedway and Music

What I Love

Everything else!!

Space

Better Houses

Weather

Beaches

Blue Skies without a cloud

Places to use a boat

Non snobbery

Lack of royal family

No crap papers like the Sun and Mirror

Lamingtons

Iced Coffee

Room to move

Heaps of trees

Big Cars

A massive selection of different restaurants and cultures

Guest loopylisa

Yeah I recently read an article in the paper which said 30 ways you know you're getting old. Listening to radio 2 was one of them! lmao. As an aside I remember returning to the UK after 10 years in oz and waking up the next morning and my auntie alarm clock radio playing radio 1 and I was freaked out by the accent(having grown up listening to predominantly Australian accents!). It was one of those where am I moments when you'e just waking up. It was kinda trippy. I really like Triple J though!

Am laughing at this thread!

I miss family, friends, France & Europe, knowing where and how to get stuff! I miss buying alcohol with my food shopping!! Really weird not knowing celebrities in the magazines or on TV. Missed that Christmas buzz last year. But I dont actually miss the UK as such.

I love the weather, wildlife (most of it), scenery, attitude, lifestyle, my job, and the food. I love the fact that I have met people from all over the world here! I am excited what the future will bring for my daughter, and wish I had been brought up here!

Guest loopylisa

wish I had been brought up here!

I will go and thank my parents then! :notworthy: Joking aside, you have every right to be excited for your daughter. I have some fab memories of childhood, cycling in the evenings along the old railway track in reynella, playing cricket on the oval opposite my house with my dad and bro and running through the sprinklers on the way home and telling my mum they 'just popped up on us' when we came home like drowned rats. I know it might not sound like much but they are great memories I will treasure forever and I am looking forward to settling down with my aussie Mr Loopy and raising some little aussies of my own! :biggrin:

Guest loopylisa

I owe this next one to my itunes shuffle... Shakin stevens Merry Xmas everyone... not just that but us Brits love our xmas music at parties and discos, I just dont remember it being the same in oz.

Guest loopylisa

They have dancing with the stars in Oz, they also have australia's got talent and the x factor but no Katie Price as yet. I think the ozzies got it right in shipping Peter Andre over to the UK lol

Guest moviemummy

Love this thread. Thanks everyone.

No real idea yet as we're not there, however I know for sure I will not miss Scottish weather - no sunshine at all today just glad it hasn't rained! Really looking forward to the sun and being outside more.

L x

What i miss about the UK.

1. Beer gardens, with a pint and some crisps.

2. I suppose i should miss family but as yet i dont.

Thats it Folks, nothing else to report!!!!!!!!!!!

What i love about Australia. 1. Weather (Most of the time)

2.location of my house, close to the beach.

3.we have a swimming pool.......

4.most of the people are great and down to earth.

5. Wildlife

6. Space to breathe.

Could go on but i wont........

Loving Australia..............Far Out!!!!!!!