Wind

Guest boesman

Guest boesman

Hi, was just wondering if Adelaide is very windy? You always hear of how warm and lovely the weather is in Aus, but seaside towns can get lots of wind for most of the year.

Also, are one allowed to bbq on a real fire at home and at campsites or is only gas allowed?

Cheers.

Whenever I've been in Adelaide its not been noticeably windy. Not like I am used to in the UK. Its been warm to hot, occasional breeze, dry, the occasional downpour and then back to warm to hot and breeze (feeling warm). And this is on the beaches as well as where we stay. I've never been in the depths of winter however. Adelaide is in the gulf so it tends to be different to further down the coast. I know when we went down to Victor Harbor for a few days each time it was markedly different and windy, even on warmer days. The water was much cooler and choppier as its the open ocean and the climate changes for it. But for sure I'd expect it to be nippy in winter in Adelaide and of course the water isn't really thought to be swimmable. But then after seeing some of the bonkers people over here going for a daily dip 365 days a year off the coast of the Channel I'd have said Adelaide in winter to swim would be tropical in comparison :wink:

I'm sure others will be along later with their findings for you :cute:

Guest bishop3912
Hi, was just wondering if Adelaide is very windy? You always hear of how warm and lovely the weather is in Aus, but seaside towns can get lots of wind for most of the year.

Also, are one allowed to bbq on a real fire at home and at campsites or is only gas allowed?

Cheers.

Hi I live in the foothills of the Mt Lofty Ranges in Happy Valley and my houses faces out to towards the sea with amazing views, for this pleasure we pay with the wind!! (well it is winter!) most days we get a light breeze, but when it is rain or a north-westerly we get it quite bad, to an extreme that the windows & doors rattle and the howling round the side of the house can freak my kids lol. Ive also experienced a summer, albeit in a flat suburb, when it was a light warm to hot breeze (depending on temp), but it does burn your nose/mouth when the temps hit a high of 40+ lol. U get nothing like the Freemantle Doc like they get in Perth.

Guest The Dimmocks

It does get very windy here at times. It has been 22 today but windy with it. Had a few weather warnings due to strong winds at times. I remember a few weeks after we arrived it was really really windy and lots of trees got blown down.

This site may help with regard to open fires for BBQ's http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/fire_restrictions/fire_danger_season_dates.jsp.

Sure someone will be able to add a bit more about the wind. Our house is windy most days :biglaugh:

Well when I used to live in Port Noarlunga (34 years ago) they did some of the filming for Storm Boy on the beach. Now one particular scene was for a big storm well as there was no wind they put some huge fans on the jetty to create the storm effect. The funny thing was that the following day there was one of the biggest storms to hit that area for years and if I remember rightly the jetty was damaged!

So in answer to your question - yes it can get windy!

Guest The Dimmocks

Yes there are lots of flies, I have become a very good fly swatter. Lots of ants too, bite your feet if stand still long enough in an ant line LOL.

Guest cornish Busdriver
Yes there are lots of flies, I have become a very good fly swatter. Lots of ants too, bite your feet if stand still long enough in an ant line LOL.

I spend ages watching the ant lines and put things in the way just to see them go round lol lol lol.

It is actually quiet interseting to watch them work, i just hate the inch ants, even with a whole can of mortine the buggers still dont die.

Guest Kazzarazza

It can get windy in Spring but usually drops out for Summer and Autumn. Also depends on which part of Adelaide you are - the weather forecast will always have stronger winds south of Marino Rocks and across to the hills. North of Marino and the plains are generally calmer with warmer and much drier weather. Flies usually arrive in Spring but are generally gone before Christmas.

Cheers, Kazza

Flies usually arrive in Spring but are generally gone before Christmas.

Really? When we did our recce in '07 it was late Feb/early March and one of the things we noticed was just how many flies there were. Not noticed their numbers drop off from Christmas onwards since - will pay more attention this year!

Jim

Guest loopylisa

Its the mozzies u wanna be concerned about not the flies. I used to have to frequently take antihestimines as a child due to the amount of mozzie bites I'd get!!!