how to become a teacher in SA?

Guest mark&rachel

Guest mark&rachel

hello all

A friend of mine is looking at the prospect of bercoming a teacher (primary mainly) but has no degree etc.

Is this possible to do whilst keeping another job to pay the bills? What is the process.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Guest Adelaide_bound

Unfortunately, probably not - teachers need a 4 year full time degree, so it depends on their situation and expectations - could they cope with the workload and a part time job, and the part time job earn enough to pay for essentials? People do do it, but it is a struggle. There is no work-to-teach route in Australia, like in the UK (the GTP) - the GTP is not recognised in Australia (you don't say whether they are in SA already, or in the UK), so if they were in the UK they could not take this route and Australia don't offer anything like that.

There is a scholarship scheme to recruit science/maths teachers in SA - http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/hr/pages/jobscareers/newbeginnings/ but it is only $14,000 so don't think that would be a workable wage, again it depends on your friend's specific circumstances/needs I guess.

There is some more info for general teacher requirements here~:

http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/hr/pages/jobscareers/teachervacancies/

and here:

http://www.teachinginsa.sa.edu.au/pages/home/university/

Hope that helps a bit. Have to say, there is *not* a shortage of teachers in Australia really, from what people in Australia currently that are in teaching/experience of teaching etc there, unless it is a country school, its a bit like the UK - constant rumours that teachers are needed, when the reality is that 50% of new graduates cannot get a teaching job at the moment...

Guest Nick11

Personally I would your friend to save her money and do another degree as contrary to the adverts...there are no teaching jobs and probably wont be for at least 10 years. My friend is a Decs primary teacher and she was telling me there is a fantastic year 1 teacher at her school who has been on contract teacher for 30 years!!!! I am not kidding. She said that every year she has to wait for the beginning of the new school year before finding out if she has a job for that year. She has never been paid holiday pay in 30 years!!!!!

I am also surprised at how religious many schools appear to be in Adelaide. In the advert it will say at the start....committment to jesus christ, regular church attendance, committed christian and the fact you may be an excellent teacher or IT professional or administrator seems to be secondary consideration!!! A friend was once told the reason she did not get a teaching job in Adelaide was because she did not come across as 'religious' enough in the interview.

hello all

A friend of mine is looking at the prospect of bercoming a teacher (primary mainly) but has no degree etc.

Is this possible to do whilst keeping another job to pay the bills? What is the process.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I know quite a few people who have trained to be a teacher and worked whilst here. I would say that this would be much harder if you have children. It is more common for people to have jobs and study - from my experience. I would echo what Nick and Jessica are saying re job prospects. The situation may change, but I can't see how that would change very quickly. Nursing is a good route into a profession that pays well, certainly for a one year Enrolled Nursing course (approx $7,000). Only two year needed after that to become an RN and you can work as well.

Cooler

Guest Jennet

I teach animal care in Further education this academic year will be my 4th teaching year, i have approx 12 years experience working with animals been a manger for the RSPCA etc, i am in my second year of a BA in Education and Training i will not be completing the 3rd year as i will be moving to OZ next summer (2012) i wonder if i could top the BA in Adelaide that could help me get a good job , how is Further Education teaching jobs, or jobs working with animals i fancy becoming an education Officer in a Zoo or animal sanctuary etc any info on this guys????

Guest mark&rachel

Guys and Gals , thanks for all your help. He does have kids so il let him know all this.

Its a tough one. He does shift at the mo and just wants a better family life i guess.

Guest Nick11

If your mate is the main earner in the family....he should think twice about doing a teaching degree as job prospects are zilch... contrary to those stupid adverts on the tv which is purely a knee jerk reaction by the government to a situation which will not happen for at least a decade...

I teach animal care in Further education this academic year will be my 4th teaching year, i have approx 12 years experience working with animals been a manger for the RSPCA etc, i am in my second year of a BA in Education and Training i will not be completing the 3rd year as i will be moving to OZ next summer (2012) i wonder if i could top the BA in Adelaide that could help me get a good job , how is Further Education teaching jobs, or jobs working with animals i fancy becoming an education Officer in a Zoo or animal sanctuary etc any info on this guys????

Working in further education usually in a TAFE or a RTO (Registered Training Organisation) is hard to get into and hard to get perm work. A lot of people are on casual contracts (no holiday or sick pay or guarantee of hours) and the people that have perm contracts do not leave because they know they will struggle to find another perm contract. The education and training industry is struggling in some areas at the moment. Have a look on www.seek.com.au under education and training. Usually to teach in the VET (Vocational Education and Training) sector you would need a Cert IV TAE qualification.