Home content's

Guest jamdon

We have a house full of furnicture,tv's computers and the rest has anyone any tips on how to get rid of it before we come over . We were thinking of selling it individuly or get a second hand store to buy the lot but don't know which would be best any help would be apreciated.

Guest guest7008

Hi, the good stuff I would put on E Bay - you would be amazed at what people buy!! Also this weekend on E Bay is free insertions so won't cost anything!! Also we are going to do an "Open House Furniture Sale" - advertise in the local paper etc and put stickers on all the stuff you are selling - people come and buy it for a decent price - the 2nd hand shops will come and buy it but will give you next to nothing for it - thats ok if you have really old stuff that wouldn't sell - but 1st I would try e bay - house sale - etc and then the stuff that don't sell - donate to charity - the really crap stuff - take to your local skip - and anything else then get the 2nd hand shop people round - think it really depends on the quality of your stuff - when we eventually sell our house we will do a house sale and e bay and the rest - off to the skip!! Good luck xx

FWIW if its decent you may want to consider bringing it with you. Some stuff can work out expensive to replace once in Aus. A whole container costs around £4000 but a part one will be less obviously. You can ship personal effects or the entire house, whatever suits you. Some of our stuff would be really hard to replace once in Aus so shipping it makes sense (our bed for example, no way could we afford it once over there).

I'd consider Gumtree, ebay,Freecycle and the local paper free ads. House clearances won't pay you much at all.

Had great success with Gumtree the rest went to charity or given away to friends and the 'good' stuff is coming with us. Shipper coming on Wednesday so have been having a final clearance while sorting stuff into piles - pictures and mirrors, Computer and electricals, china and glass, ornaments, books etc.

Have half a load at around 2500 + insurance.

Completion date is not settled but we're pretty close and we can stay with family - won't book the flights till the money from the house sale is in our bank account

I would defo look at shipping things over!!!! we have shipped over 9 large boxes, 2 beds (1 king size, 1 double) 2 x TV's, total cost £1000.00. The cost of electrical items and furniture differs so much... I wish we had shipped more things over now!!.

I would get some quotes, we used a local company in Leeds called GB liners, but they will give quotes for all over the uk,, its defo worth a quote.