Watch out for snakes in Seaford Rise

sduffy

hi guys,just in case those in Seaford Rise havent seen the Southern Times Messenger this week there is an article warning of several sightings of brown snakes at the new commercial rd wetlands.This is land between commercial rd and Grand Boulevard,Seaford Rise.Snakes were spotted near to the play equipment just off Grand Boulevard.

Be alert!!!!!

Sue

Guest katsmajic

I ran over a snake out at mannum last week - it was already dead i reckon - but saw 2 lovely stumpys out that way too.

Work colleagues have said theyve had snakes already out at Mt Barker....yuk.

we must have been lucky when I lived out Port Noarlunga way as our cat always went out and usually disappeared for about a month during summer. Never cam back any worse for wear and it used to be snake that got caught rather thatn the other way round. There were countless times that it would bring one back throw it up in the air and pounce it again and again an again - til it was dead or it just used to bring them back dead basically saying hey look what I've got AGAIN!

i live in christies beach and take my 3 labradors out daily...and in the 12 yrs i have been here..iam pleased to say i have only ever seen 1 snake..in the wild...so to speak...and that was in the water works grounds...i was til very recently looking forward to moving to a house at seaford rise...just near the wetlands ...just of grand boulevard...

i would have taken my grandchildren to that park frequently....and taken my dogs accross that wetland to get to the beach every day...it didnt happen...it prob wasnt meant to be...upon reading this...my disapointment had lessened...

we must have been lucky when I lived out Port Noarlunga way as our cat always went out and usually disappeared for about a month during summer. Never cam back any worse for wear and it used to be snake that got caught rather thatn the other way round. There were countless times that it would bring one back throw it up in the air and pounce it again and again an again - til it was dead or it just used to bring them back dead basically saying hey look what I've got AGAIN!

Our cat was only about six months old at the time - it found a baby brown and brought it back in its mouth - we think the snake must have bitten him inside his mouth because there was no obvious bite mark anywhere on him, but his back legs started to go wobbly (brown snake venom causes paralysis, which works its way up the body until it eventually stops the heart). OH took both cat and snake (in a jar) to the vets - which according to the vets was a good thing to do as it saved about $500 on tests to determine what sort of snake had got him. Cat was fine after a night on a drip, but they couldn't do anything for the snake, as unfortunately its head had - somehow - become detached from its body...

Guest Benny Hill

Yea there are lots of snakes in Seaford Rise.......And as time goes on there are more and more......

Now that they building even more houses there will be even more snakes.....

Be alert for your local snake...!!!!!!!!

Benny Hill

its a lizard...arrgghh...thanx for that diane...

and more and more snakes...oh dear....thats not good ...but yeah guess its to be expected in you go invading their territory...eh...

jackie

Got to say when I read threads like this it reinforces my sympathies for the snakes! If people are careful and sensible (and a tad humble in what they decide they have the right to kill) then there's little to worry about. You'd be far more likely to get hit by a bus than killed by a snake - and as far as I know buses have been seen in Seaford without causing a panic!

Jim

snakes were a huge reason as to why i didnt want to live in the countryside when we moved here...i come from a village...and i used to love walking along the river every day with my dogs to the next village...12 years ago...the country was very remote..and i dont drive..

so..i choose the seaside ...because ..i love the sea...the sea side..but i also respect it...and its inhabitants...i love walking by it...and love watching it at its wildest...but....barring a paddle..i do not go in it...

i still love the countryside...but...i would not live in it...invading spaces that arent yours...on land or sea...is asking for trouble...and yes i guess...i didnt class seaford rise...as country...well..not as i know it.....but...touche...it's their space..and...iam happy to leave them to it...

jackie...

yes there are...

and...iam accutely aware of that...as ive no doubt all dog owners living by the sea are...which is why i walk them on the beach ..via real roads and footpaths ...and not ..via dunes....and ..in snake season...where doubful ...ie ..round the bottom of the bluff...i ensure they have their leads on...i work on the better safe than sorry theory....

jackie.