Gravy granules - are they illegal?

Guest edenfieldpoms

Guest edenfieldpoms

Hi, we recently went on a reccie and at the airport we were asked if we had any gravy granules on us, what's all that about?

Are they illegal or something? Lol

I did notice in the shop bisto and oxo cubes are really expensive.

Ta april

Guest edenfieldpoms
Can't remember what exactly you are allowed to bring in but you must declare anything that you bring off the plane with you from sweets and gravy lol

Yeah I know, just thought that it was weird specifically asking for gravy granules.

It just made me laugh

April

I bought bisto (chicken & beef) back with me from a recent trip to uk. I just declared all my food on the customs form & wasnt asked any other questions.. I got through no problem. ( although they did comment that Marmite was horrible & should be eating vegimite!!) My inlaws have always bought some in for me too!

Guest Rich&Susie

Hi,

As with what others have said, our in laws recently came over and bought us some bisto gravy granules. They had no problems bringing them in, but customs were keen to check that it wasn't the chicken variety.

Rich.

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering why people were bringing gravy granules in.....until we had some Aussie gravy recently! Now I know why. It smells bloody horrible!

Just checked tescos online, and there's no mention of egg in the chicken variety.....and the colouring (E150c) is used in both chicken and the veg versions. Will perhaps order both varieties and see what happens. If they bin one, it's only a quid and we still have the other!

As for granules being grounds for divorce......lets just say it's the lesser of the two evils compared with mine!

We'll be fine then as we only ever use the beef one :cute:

I was wondering about proper Bisto, in the brown packs. I'd reckon if they allow the instant granules they'd allow the proper gravy. Mind you, I tend to make my own so use Oxo cubes or some such and home made stock if I have it.

Guest guest3462

I know someone who has english sausages sent in every month!! Sad I know but if it floats your boat - and I wouldn't begrduge anyone their little english luxury especially as I am the chicken bisto queen!!! :-)

The Iga foodland in Seacombe gardens (only a small one) has started to sell Beef bisto at normal reasonable prices, ( not like the overpriced lolly uk shops!!!) The owner has started to get in a few more UK items due to so many of us being here, so its worth keeping an eye out in some smaller shops & speak to the owners if there is something you want, as they are normally independant shops and will supply to demand if they get asked enough!!

Guest Martin and Val

If it helps we buy Marmite at Coles and they also stock Goldenfry Smooth and Rich Gravy Granules which we used to buy in the Iceland shop in the uk! Really nice and just as good as bisto. :smile: