Any Scots watching the Scotland game at the Dublin today?

Guest Squareman

Yeh yeh in your dreams......

Perhaps you could clarify something for me though - I read that even if Scotland come third in the group (and after all, it was Soctland that made Romania look hard to beat, wasn't it?) they still have a chance of going through to the quarter finals - can you explain please? I thought it was just the top two teams in each group, or is there something about the points score overall the teams in all the groups having some bearing on qualification?

By the way, I was in the pub on the corner of Carrington and Pulteney Streets in the city last night - great atmosphere for anyone looking for a good pub that's showing the games. There were even a few supporting France in there last night... Dunno what the pub name is - just said Coopers Ale House on the outside as far as I could see.

no 3rd place qualify, and also scotland played romania's 1st team with their second string england played romania's 2nds with their first team ;)

Looks like England must have played the Argies second team too...funny that....

Great game yesterday though, but far too much kicking away possession for me. Should have played Dan Parks from the start with his great kicking for touch, but such a shame that last drop goal attempt was unsuccessful...

Guest guest2184

I think the confusion on 3rd place qualification is on what they qualify for.Top two in each group qualify for the Quarter Finals of the 2011 World Cup (and as 2011 WC Qarter Finalists automatically qualify for the 2015 World Cup)Third in each group automatically qualifies for the 2015 World CupFourth and Fifth have to play in the qualifying stages for 2015 World Cup.Therefore there is a distinct advantage to finishing third in your group (you "qualify") but it has nothing to do with this year's Quarter Finals.It would be interesting if any 6N team failed to finish third or higher as Europe only has 3 "qualification" spots for the World Cup for the last three World Cup they've been given to the top 2 sides over the two years before the World Cup in the European Nations Cup and the side that comes third plays off against the South American qualifier (so at this WC Georgia, Russia and Romania (who beat Uraguay in a play-off)). They'd have to come up with a whole new tournament if a 6N side needed to enter the qualifiers. I didn't realise the Coopers Ale House was called the Earl of Aberdeen, I've only ever heard it called the Coopers Ale House. I watched the Lions v South Africa games there in 2009 and it's a great pub. It's the best pub I've been to in Adelaide by a mile but then I never go out so I'm probably not the man to ask.