driving licence

Guest jamdon

Guest Helchops

I believe that you're allowed three months when you arrive, at which point you need to sit a theory test but not a practical.

I was trying to find out that If I applied for an International Driving Permit (costs around £6) whether I'd be allowed to drive for 12 months - does anyone know?

Guest Mitchell

You're allowed 3 months on a normal UK license if you have PR and no you don't have to sit any tests. Just go into your nearest service sa and buy an SA one. If you have a temp visa you can stay on your UK one until you get PR. The international license doesn't make any difference.

Guest tinkham_lee

as long as you are a temporary resident (be it 3 months or 5 years) you can drive on your English licence. once you get PR you have 3 months to get it changed to aussie licence,

Driving on your English licence, you will have to carry your passport in your car to prove you are a temporary resident if you get stopped by the police, you will have to use your passport as ID and Car insurance will be more expensive. I am a temporary resident but got an aussie licence to make life easier and so I don't need to carry my passport.

Guest Mitchell

Getting an SA license is easier all round even though you don't have to until you get PR. It counts towards your 100 point checks for renting and stuff, no problems with the police when you get stopped (and they stop you a lot here especially on bank holidays) and you can fly domestically in it.

Guest guest3462

I have been here almost 3 years on a temp visa and have never ever carried my passport with me just because I was using my UK licence. The police never asked to check when I have been routinely stopped and my insurance is no different now as a PR to when I was on my 457 visa. We even got a car loan to finance the cars albeit that it was for the term of the visa life. I have been done for speeding twive on my UK licence and the fines were exactly the same amount as my aussie mates (still ridiculously high IMO), but no points were put on my UK licence!

The worst thing you have to do to get your aussie licence is go and sit with all the bogans in the rego office!!!

Hi all

Does a uk licence count in Adelaide or do i need to sit a test because i have been driving for many years and have MANY bad habbits .

James[/quote

lol - think this was one of my biggest worries also - don't worry they only take your money and don't make you take any tests. As has been said also if you're driving on a UK license you only get the fines and not the points. Points system is different here - you start with 12 and lose them?!

• 4 weeks later...

Found it generally much better than our part of the UK except they don't understand how to use a roundabout here!

Few really bad ones wherever you are and, away from 'rush' hour most seem far more patient here in the hills (good job considering how long you wait at traffic lights)

• 1 month later...
Guest ozdreamsa

Hi guys, I am wondering whether there is any restriction for recently obtained license from overseas. I am on the way to get my driving license from outside oz before entering Adelaide as PR. Should I be able to covert to SA one without any test?

Hi guys, I am wondering whether there is any restriction for recently obtained license from overseas. I am on the way to get my driving license from outside oz before entering Adelaide as PR. Should I be able to covert to SA one without any test?

Think it all depends where overseas you are getting a license from. Uk is pay a fee and wait for it to turn up in the post. Need I'd though for it I.e bank card proof of addy etc as well as the license

Guest Squareman

Consider yourselves fortunate. My licence is South African, so I had to do the theory AND the practical test! The examiner for the practical was a pom, so I thought I'd be ok, but he failed me 35mins into the test when the roads merged into one and failed to indicate. They are VERY strict here! Got it second time around. All in all, the process cost me around $800. Its $235 a pop each time you do tje practical!

114 Giving way when entering or driving in a roundabout

(1) A driver entering a roundabout must give way to:

(a) any vehicle in the roundabout;

We were on the lefthand lane of a 2 lane but small roundabout, signalling that we were leaving at the next exit when a carcame from the left and drove straight in front of us (elderly lady driver and looking straight ahead - did not even glance our way and no signal whatsoever!) She carried on oblivious while we screeched to a halt and other drivers looked on in amazement.

Guest ozdreamsa

Hi BrianS,

I am getting the license from Japan. I have searched some sites and realized that it will be ok to convert it to OZ license, need to translate the license though. But not sure whether there is a time restriction (i.e someone can convert their Japanese/ British license after XX months later from the issuing date??).