Transfer of Car Ownership

AussieRob

2 years ago my partner and her then 16 year old daughter purchased a car and held the registration in joint names, with my partners name first.

Now her daughter is 18 it is time the vehicle was solely in her own name and took full ownership and responsibility.

We have just phoned the vehicle registration department and we would have to pay stamp duty on the change of title, even though it's not really changing, it's just having a name removed.

Is this really true ? and If so then no matter how honerable your intentions, you should register the car directly to the real owner.

It's about 3.5-4% of the vehicles value I think. So depending on how much it's worth, it could be quite a bit. I just had to pay $562 for mine.

Can't you just leave it in joint names?

We could leave it in joint names, but when the car was first purchased it made sense for my partner to be the main name for Rego, possible fines, etc... To make sure that everything was paid for on time, but now she's working and she's older she really should be able to manage her car herself, it's not a biggy, but it makes sense to give her some responsibility. Let's say that as kids they have no responsibility for money, and the rego was due and she failed to pay, then my partner would be first in line to get fined. Also if she wanted to sell it, then she shouldn't really have to ask her moms permission, it is her responsibility.

yeah I did read that. but we're not really buying or selling, and you can only transfer title between de-facto partners. I think it only works out to $100 - $140, but it seems silly just to pay stamp duty when all your doing is removing a name.

Ce la vie...