Trying to get my bearings........

Guest ladyarkles

Guest ladyarkles

..... but not being helped by the fact that the bloody sun is moving in the wrong direction and you can spell Glenelg backwards as well as forwards!!

Hubby and I sat, hand in hand in a bar, watching the sunset off the beach the other day - it was a lovely, romantic moment.

Then we both went "Ey oop!" (note northern accent) "Sun's on t'blink! It's gone t'wrong way!" (I'm from London, so I don't know why I write like a baker from Rochdale)

We watched in stunned silence as the sun moved from right to left in the sky? WTF? We got our map out and tried to reconcile our point of view with the direction in which we faced. Toyed with the idea that maybe the sunset in the East in South Australia.

Dismissed that idea, went back to the bar for another couple of ciders and got tiddly enough that we didn't care if it set in the East and then popped up again five minutes later wearing a sombrero.

In the cold light of day (don't ask me which direction I was facing) we checked this phenomena out on Wikipedia (yeah, I know; consider your source) and found that this is (apparently) quite normal for the Southern Hemisphere. Sun moves right to left in the sky here, unlike the UK where it moves left to right. That is of course if you can find the bloody thing in the first place.

Well, slap me with yesterday's kipper! Who knew? Not me.

I was just absorbing that fact when I find out that Glenelg is a palindrome (no, not somewhere where they ride those funny looking bikes) and reads the same written from back to front. Crikey!

I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Now all I need is for someone to tell me that it isn't going to snow at Christmas and the adverts on TV don't appear randomly at the most dramatic moments in the plot.

What do you mean, "that's right"?

:confused:

I'm going for a lie down in a dark room..................................

~ Rachel

PMSL.....

Yes you are now in the southern hemisphere and the sun does seem to go the wrong way and it also is in the North rather than the South. It will seem the norm soon enough. I can't get to grips with the stars. Back in the Uk I could find my way around using them. Here I haven't a clue. Yes I can spot the Southern Cross but thats about my limit. Must say when I first moved here and noticing that Orion was upside down brought it home to me that we really was in Australia. LOL

PMSL.....

Yes you are now in the southern hemisphere and the sun does seem to go the wrong way and it also is in the North rather than the South. It will seem the norm soon enough. I can't get to grips with the stars. Back in the Uk I could find my way around using them. Here I haven't a clue. Yes I can spot the Southern Cross but thats about my limit. Must say when I first moved here and noticing that Orion was upside down brought it home to me that we really was in Australia. LOL

There's a really good Iphone app (apparently - I haven't got it yet!) where you can point your phone at any constellation and it will tell you which it is! And - so I was told by an aussie star person - if you look at the gaps between the stars in the southern cross you can see a giant emu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_astronomy)

Never underestimate just how confusing north being south and viceversa really is. I think without really considering it, people in the N hemisphere have their brain set to the sun in the north and people in the south likewise set south. I've been here for 18 months and my sense of direction is awful whereas in the UK it was really good.

Never underestimate just how confusing north being south and viceversa really is. I think without really considering it, people in the N hemisphere have their brain set to the sun in the north and people in the south likewise set south. I've been here for 18 months and my sense of direction is awful whereas in the UK it was really good.

You have got it bad haven't you. For those in the North the sun is in the South and for those in the South the big ball of gas is in the North. :biglaugh:

Oh how I understand..driving down from Salisbury to the city used to confuse me all the time..felt like we were going North because the sun was behind us..and the fact the North wind was the hot one...and the "man in the moon" is on his side LOL...mind you Aussie hubby now has the opposite problem in the UK, and says he now realises why we say there is a man in the moon cos the face is up straight..he'd never noticed it before LOL