Gibson guitars

Pommyspark

Hi I have a small collection of Guitars, Gibson, Fender and martin, plus a few that came over from Aussy called Legacy. Looking at ebay and gumtree in Oz, they seem to be fetching good money over there. When i was last in Oz didnt see many music shops, Im beginning to think we may be a bit spoiled that way in the uk. Q Is it a good idea to bring them all over rather than try and sell em here, can you easily replace quality guitars over there? they are not fetching good money in the uk at the moment. Be a shame and I may regret it.

Guest nickcoumbe

Definitely bring them and you can lend some to me :)

I had 15 guitar and loads of amps etc and I slimmed down before we came and ended up only bringing one with me. As long as there is room in the container bring all the music gear you can!

There are three quite good shops in the city and a couple I haven't tried on the outskirts. I like mainly 80's type guitars and tend to buy second hand. I haven't seen a lot of those type of shops, but new guitars are not as expensive as I thought (which is about the only thing I can say that for).

Guest pye green baggie

Hi there , i would say bring your guitars with you ,from what i have seen so far there are not lots of music shops and the guitars are quite expensive compared to the uk . I am just waiting for mine to arrive in the container ,so i will let you know what condition they are in after the trip.

Thanks you lot, its really hard to make decisions, I have loads of studio, which I know Im not going to be able to use for at least a couple of years, while we set up and make some money but I love my gear, just sold mixing desk drum kit, got a tannoy 15inch 600w powered sub, its like half a coffin and if you stand too close will put you in one lol, but cant let go aarrrr.. Just going to have to make space.

Hi there Pommyspark. I am Wizzywozza's husband. I had a 32 guitar collection, which covered Fenders, Gibsons, Squiers(JV series), Tanglewoods, Epiphones, Danelectros, and a multitude of old and unusual guitars, plus i had a huge collection of Amps and FX pedals(including the entire collection of original 50s Danelectro which took me years to acumalate). anyways i sold off everything i had apart from 3 Fenders and a Gibson SG Junior. I bitterly regret selling them all off, as i miss everything i had. If i knew then what i know now, i would have found a way of bringing everything i had over with me. prices here are around 20% - 30% more than what you pay in the UK. i have rebuilt a collection of sorts, and now have around 10 guitars, 2 drum kits, and about 5 amps, and a few FX pedals, but will never have the quality collection i had in the UK.

On the bright side, there are infact quite a few music shops around Adelaide. Local to me there is Frets and Sticks, and Southern Music. Then 15 mins down the road is Derringers (when i first walked in there 5 years ago i thought i had died and gone to guitar heaven), also the Ibanez Guitar Centre (Galaxy Guitars) in brighton Road is a great little shop specializing in (you guessed it) Ibanez, but also Gibson and Fender, they also have a great range of Acoustics. In the city there is Billy Hydes, Allens, another Derringers (just a small one), Harrisons Music, Fret Co (a luthiers and secondhand guitars), and Twang Central(which specializes in old and Vintage guitars, as well as new guitars). All of that within a square mile. moving north of the city there is Ceceres Music, and Holden Hill Music. I know there are other small music shops dotted around Adelaide that i have yet to discover, but i have listed all the main ones.

i hope this all helps, and good luck with your move........Rick.

I notice you have Legacy guitars. Rebadged Epiphones, all made in the same factory. I have a Legacy 100 watt head and 4 by 12" cab, exactly the same as the Epiphone, only $400 cheaper.

Hi there Pommyspark. I am Wizzywozza's husband. I had a 32 guitar collection, which covered Fenders, Gibsons, Squiers(JV series), Tanglewoods, Epiphones, Danelectros, and a multitude of old and unusual guitars, plus i had a huge collection of Amps and FX pedals(including the entire collection of original 50s Danelectro which took me years to acumalate). anyways i sold off everything i had apart from 3 Fenders and a Gibson SG Junior. I bitterly regret selling them all off, as i miss everything i had. If i knew then what i know now, i would have found a way of bringing everything i had over with me. prices here are around 20% - 30% more than what you pay in the UK. i have rebuilt a collection of sorts, and now have around 10 guitars, 2 drum kits, and about 5 amps, and a few FX pedals, but will never have the quality collection i had in the UK.

On the bright side, there are infact quite a few music shops around Adelaide. Local to me there is Frets and Sticks, and Southern Music. Then 15 mins down the road is Derringers (when i first walked in there 5 years ago i thought i had died and gone to guitar heaven), also the Ibanez Guitar Centre (Galaxy Guitars) in brighton Road is a great little shop specializing in (you guessed it) Ibanez, but also Gibson and Fender, they also have a great range of Acoustics. In the city there is Billy Hydes, Allens, another Derringers (just a small one), Harrisons Music, Fret Co (a luthiers and secondhand guitars), and Twang Central(which specializes in old and Vintage guitars, as well as new guitars). All of that within a square mile. moving north of the city there is Ceceres Music, and Holden Hill Music. I know there are other small music shops dotted around Adelaide that i have yet to discover, but i have listed all the main ones.

i hope this all helps, and good luck with your move........Rick.

I notice you have Legacy guitars. Rebaged Epiphones, all made in the same factory. I have a Legacy 100 watt head and 4 by 12" cab, exactly the same as the Epiphone, only $400 cheaper.

Hi Rick, wow many thanks for that, I didn't know that about the legacy, I have a les paul Diamond in black, replica of the 50's gibson with 'c' neck and EMG's, and as it turns out hoping to secure a deal on the real thing today, a legacy gothic SG with EMG's, and a Bass I think. I bought loads of them when sound control went bust over here a few years ago and sold most on, I heard they were an Aussy brand. just sold a lovely trans black epiphone wildcat last week,, I will bring all I possibly can, and try and sell what I dont need there, just dont know what to do with it when it get there. Its really funny chatting to you cos all my mates spend all their spare time at football matches or listening to it, I spend all my time in music shops or in my home studio, you sound more like the latter lol. Are there any clubs that support untrained musicians in Adelaide, like a hang out centre for wannabe artists?, I always wanted to set something like that up over here, but never had the time, plus theres to many kids here that just want to rip off your gear,, just a thought, I wish there was somthing like that for me in the early 80's, anyway thanks mate maybe meet up one day.. Jay

Hi there Jay. Yup I am the kind of guy who spends all my time in a music shop or in my little home studio. I do teach guitar for a living, and play drums for a Rock and Roll band made up mostly of current and ex students. Hope to be gigging by this time next year. I have absolutely no interest in football whatsoever lol.

There is a club supported by Holden Hill Music just north of Adelaide, my stepson used to be a member and played bass in a band that was put together by them. Here is a link to their site. http://www.weekendwarriors.org.au/Default.asp?ID=9 you may need to join the site to look around it. - Rick.

Hi there Jay. Yup I am the kind of guy who spends all my time in a music shop or in my little home studio. I do teach guitar for a living, and play drums for a Rock and Roll band made up mostly of current and ex students. Hope to be gigging by this time next year. I have absolutely no interest in football whatsoever lol.

There is a club supported by Holden Hill Music just north of Adelaide, my stepson used to be a member and played bass in a band that was put together by them. Here is a link to their site. http://www.weekendwarriors.org.au/Default.asp?ID=9 you may need to join the site to look around it. - Rick.

Fantastic, book me in for some lessons !!!

There is quite a large music scene here in Adelaide, particularly for amateur bands looking for gigs. My son's band played at something called Scorcherfest at the weekend - there were 40 bands of all different ages playing there over the course of the afternoon, some from interstate, and that was just one event that weekend - I think there were a couple of other similar things going in in different venues around the place! Once you start looking, there seem to be hundreds of small groups of people promoting live music around the place, so I'm sure you'll fit right in. The people in the guitar shops seem to be a really nice lot too, so once you start chatting to them, they'll introduce you to someone else, who will put you in touch with someone else...and so on, and so on! Adelaide is very much like that, so I'm sure your hobby will be a great way to start building up a network of likeminded mates once you get here.

There is quite a large music scene here in Adelaide, particularly for amateur bands looking for gigs. My son's band played at something called Scorcherfest at the weekend - there were 40 bands of all different ages playing there over the course of the afternoon, some from interstate, and that was just one event that weekend - I think there were a couple of other similar things going in in different venues around the place! Once you start looking, there seem to be hundreds of small groups of people promoting live music around the place, so I'm sure you'll fit right in. The people in the guitar shops seem to be a really nice lot too, so once you start chatting to them, they'll introduce you to someone else, who will put you in touch with someone else...and so on, and so on! Adelaide is very much like that, so I'm sure your hobby will be a great way to start building up a network of likeminded mates once you get here.

Thank you so much Diane

Hi Diane ..... did you go to Scorcherfest?? My boss's daughter is the drummer in a band that played there ..... they're called Cyclosa. What's your sons band called? ...... I've forgotten! Did it go ok for them? I heard there was quite a crowd there!

Sharon

Hi Sharon, yes we were there. James' band is called Black Stump (https://www.facebook.com/BlackStumpAdelaide) and they were the first band on in the upstairs bar. Didn't get to see Cyclosa unfortunately (but will search them on youtube and fb now :smile:) but there were some other excellent bands playing - "Crossing Red Lines" were great, as were "50 In The City". It was a great afternoon of music of all sorts, with plenty of people there so a really good experience for the boys. How did it go for your boss's daughter?

Diane