Australia lucky country / ripped off

Guest Guest5035

Guest Kazzarazza

Lucky country for those living here and working in a place where the minimum wage is close to $16 per hour.

Ripped off for those visitors who are only getting an exchange rate of 1.60 and working in a country where the minimum wage is 5.80 pounds.

In other words, it's all relative.

I didn't need to read this as its been plain obvious since i have been here that people are ripped off. There are no watch dogs or other parties that step in to control this. Just look at how much the fuel can fluctuate. They ramp up the price when they know there will be high demand. That wouldn't happen in the UK.

One of the things I find curious here is the fact that the presenters of radio shows speak the words of commercials themselves. Fine on breakfast radio and stuff like that, but there is a Consumer Affairs programme on one of the AM channels here, that addresses issues, confronts politicians, alerts listeners to dodgy practices....and then the presenter in his still very serious this-is-stuff-consumers-ought-to-know-about voice, does an ad - so you are left wondering just how independent the advice and viewpoints actually are in the rest of the programme. I find this very dodgy....but could just be me! Almost wrote to the radio programme and complained, but was worried it's an aussie cultural thing and I'd be left looking like a whinging pom! I do miss the BBC....

Guest zamunda

Ok here is my take on this....

... we have to look at the bigger picture. Being happy in any place (to me) is the sum (not talking financial) of all things.

If we are to nit pick on the individual details then we are going to be depressed and misserable.

After all, isn't that why we all want to move to Oz. surely Oz has something better to offer than where we currently live (or lived)?

No matter where you go, there is always a price to pay. The question is.....whether the price is worth it (in overall sense).

So forget the price of bananas/ movie tickets....look at the bigger picture :)

Guest Adelaide_bound

I don't get this idea of 'being ripped off' because things cost more - surely it is only a rip off if you think the price is say $1, but you actually get invoiced $10, or if you buy something thinking it is fit for purpose, but it breaks the first time you use it or it is not fit for purpose?

If you know something is $10 when you go to buy it, and you hand over your $10, then surely its not a rip off, its something you have chosen to buy at that price (when you had the option to not buy it at all/buy a different once/buy some alternative/and so on (delete as appropriate)).

If you then complain its a rip off, then surely you are a bit dim for actually giving money for something you didn't think was worth it - 99% of the time there's an alternative, even if that means just going without (the only thing I would say is different is utilities as if they are anything in Oz like they are here, with 500 different tarriffs, not even Mastermind champions, the energy minister nor Genius level IQ people can work them out, so you don't really know what you are being charged up front there - but that's more misleading than a total rip off imho still.)

After all, isn't that why we all want to move to Oz. surely Oz has something better to offer than where we currently live (or lived)?

No, that isn't why everybody who makes the move does so. Not everyone is running away from where they are. We didn't expect it to be better than the UK, just provide us with a different experience for a while. It was the adventure for us, not because we thought we were in a bad place and Australia was better - which is just as well because so far in our four years it hasn't proved better, just different!

Jim

wesand mel and jimandadel are clearly correct, there is less consumer protection fact no diispute. There is also weaker legislation on many areas, environmental protection is significantly weaker. One example consequently the rate of asbestosis is three times higher than England. On consumer issues look at protection for housing, getting your bond back from a landlord is much more tortuous and less immediate than in UK, it can be kept 6 months theoretically although you can apply to the state body for it, but it is potentially a slow process if the landlord is difficult. It took 3 months from Toop and Toop for me while they sat on the interest.

Whether you like Australia or not there is no harm in pointing out what is wrong, as foreigners we can bring something and teach something why not. What kind of person comes and just accepts it all as better, one who is too lazy to think, not to say somethings are not better

The fuel price in the UK is always ramped up.

I wasn't saying that the fuel price his not high in the UK. What i was trying to point out was that the prices in the UK would only fluctuate 1-2pence a day but here it can be 10-15 cents a day.

Also I am not moaning about being here in Australia as i do love it here. I'm just pointing out a fact. If i was in England i would also have opinions of the way things are done there. I think its called caring or maybe i am just a winging Pom. I do wonder sometimes.

I wasn't saying that the fuel price his not high in the UK. What i was trying to point out was that the prices in the UK would only fluctuate 1-2pence a day but here it can be 10-15 cents a day.

Also I am not moaning about being here in Australia as i do love it here. I'm just pointing out a fact. If i was in England i would also have opinions of the way things are done there. I think its called caring or maybe i am just a winging Pom. I do wonder sometimes.

Love the 10 - 15 cents a day fluctuation - i take it you have to fill up on a tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday?

Nothing wrong with caring or whinging good for the soul.

Guest zamunda
No, that isn't why everybody who makes the move does so. Not everyone is running away from where they are. We didn't expect it to be better than the UK, just provide us with a different experience for a while. It was the adventure for us, not because we thought we were in a bad place and Australia was better - which is just as well because so far in our four years it hasn't proved better, just different!

Jim

I did not say everyone was running away from something. Everyone is looking for something different (which can also be looked at as "better").

We used to live in the U.S for quite a while before we moved to Africa. And quite frankly Africa has given us a load of memories (good ones) to cherish (just as the U.S. did). Now Oz has come along.

I guess as long as we remain humans we will always find something to complain about.

We are all looking for something better/different.....whats the difference.

Enjoy the ride whilst is lasts. We don't live for ever. :smile:

Guest zamunda

Yes..quite correct. We get ripped off where ever we live.

just look at what is happening in the world. Large corporations get into trouble and the tax payer has to bail them out. Yet during the good times it was only the shareholders that got paid dividends. And the rest of us continued to buy their crappy products so they could continue to get their dividends.

Software companies rush to release products into the market and then expect us to report back to them of any flaws so they can fix them. So who is the g/pig? don't forget we paid for it too :)

...the list goes on.

Guest Adelaide_bound
What kind of person comes and just accepts it all as better, one who is too lazy to think, not to say somethings are not better

I would say that its not one who is too lazy, rather one who is not arrogant enough to think they automatically know better.

Guest Guest5035
You must let me know what dictionary you use if these words mean the same thing.

It's getting to the point on this site that people can't voice an opinion unless it's gushingly positive.

Jim

what goes around comes around:tongue:

:wink:stevo

Guest zamunda

Hi Jim and Adel

We all are simply putting in our two cents on this whole thing. No need to get upset.

Yes it is crazy to pay a premium on things (what ever they my be), but unfortunately it is all over the world.

Some may be happy in one place, some not so happy. Thats why we move on.

Like I said earlier, for me, life is too short to be mad about things. So I look at the bigger picture and try be happy.

I was only trying to put things in a different light.

Peace :cute: