Thinking of getting a puppy!

Guest bidsandrew

Guest bidsandrew

We know this is stupidly irrisponsable but are concidering getting a puppy! We have only been here 5 and a half weeks but we are missing our dog so much. Although we are not trying to replace him (that would be impossible) we really want another doggy friend.

We have seen some puppies that are Staffy x Ridgeback which look like a nice combination.

Our question is how much are vets fees and general costs of dog ownership here? Also are some vets alot cheaper than others or are they all about the same? Are there any vets practices we should avoid? We live in Moana.

Cheers

Have you looked at the Animal Welfare League and RSPCA? Cross-breeds here seem to be sold for lots of $$$ but if you get one from one of the centres you will save money there, plus all their animals are desexed and have had first vaccinations, and you will be giving a home to a very well-deserving animal.

http://animalwelfare.com.au/pets/find-a-pet

http://www.adoptapet.com.au/

PS This is my favourite: http://www.adoptapet.com.au/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=180144&result=10&statusID=3

Think most vets are about the same we had our dog at vet about 10 weeks ago to have a tooth out and a small cist removed $800 had her down the beach about 4 weeks ago hurt back leg tore ligiments another op last week to get pin put in not much change out of $3000 so vet bills can get expensive

Guest guest569

We use the vets at Noarlunga. They are pretty good. I think they all charge the same (ish). Our dog did her crucial ligament last year and cost us $3700 !!!! Luckily we have petplan insurance so only actually paid $100.

Guest Guest5035
Have you looked at the Animal Welfare League and RSPCA? Cross-breeds here seem to be sold for lots of $$$ but if you get one from one of the centres you will save money there, plus all their animals are desexed and have had first vaccinations, and you will be giving a home to a very well-deserving animal.

http://animalwelfare.com.au/pets/find-a-pet

http://www.adoptapet.com.au/

PS This is my favourite: http://www.adoptapet.com.au/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=180144&result=10&statusID=3

I'm with Diane, loads of needy dogs and pups via rescues which may be less for a crossbreed or pedigree. A ridgeback cross could be taking on a big challenge (I know a ridgeback or two and they are not for the fainthearted and can be challenging to train).

PLEASE PLEASE do not buy from a shop, go to the AWL/RSPCA or the adopt a pet, we go once a month to the AWL with a tray of tinned dog food, and you will find some cracking dogs there.

Stevo

Guest Barney Rubble
We use the vets at Noarlunga. They are pretty good. I think they all charge the same (ish). Our dog did her crucial ligament last year and cost us $3700 !!!! Luckily we have petplan insurance so only actually paid $100.

Crikey, that reminds me to follow up on the pet insurance !

We had two great dogs from Wingfield, truly great pets who grew up withthe kids.

Now we have a puppy and am learning fast !

PLEASE PLEASE do not buy from a shop, go to the AWL/RSPCA or the adopt a pet, we go once a month to the AWL with a tray of tinned dog food, and you will find some cracking dogs there.

Stevo

Very well said. We got ours from AWL at Wingfield...fantastic little girl. Animal shelters are at breaking point for both dogs and cats. Don't line the pet shop owners pockets!!!!!

Guest Squareman

Adopt A Pet is a joke. You do a search for a small puppy and a 5 yr old pit bull looking thing covered in facial scars comes up. They let you choose a dog based on your lifestyle through a colour coded thing but that doesnt work well either. The same mutts come up each time.

We know this is stupidly irrisponsable but are concidering getting a puppy! We have only been here 5 and a half weeks but we are missing our dog so much. Although we are not trying to replace him (that would be impossible) we really want another doggy friend.

We have seen some puppies that are Staffy x Ridgeback which look like a nice combination.

Our question is how much are vets fees and general costs of dog ownership here? Also are some vets alot cheaper than others or are they all about the same? Are there any vets practices we should avoid? We live in Moana.

Cheers

www.sadogrescue.com

In case anyone is interested in why not to buy from a pet shop or any 'breeder' who can't show you parents, proper papers etc

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/dont-put-cruelty-on-your-christmas-list/story-e6frea6u-1226228854124

I am truly horrified at the amount of puppy farms that exist in Aus. And that so many dogs in pet shops and the for sale ads etc come from them. Its bad in the UK but at least our pet shops don't sell live pups. Though places like Gumtree are heartbreaking as so many dodgy ads for dogs are placed, people giving their pets away or selling them on (some end up being rehomed to turn up dead 24 hours later having been used as live bait for dog fighting). A proper rescue or a decent reputable registered breeder are the best places to go to these days.

Please, to the OP, those pups you like the look of, do you know the people, are they a planned litter, have you seen the parents, are they going to be vaccinated and so on. Had a proper vet check also. If not I'd be very wary as to where these pups may really have been born or bred. I know of many people fooled into thinking the pups they see at a persons house were actually born there etc. When often they are dumped in that day for people to view from a puppy farm or backyard breeder.

Guest bidsandrew

Thank you all for your replies. We didnt know about puppy farms etc before you all told us, sounds horrible and I did wonder were the pet shops got their animals from, now I know!

We did get a puppy, the ones we liked originally. The rescue homes just didnt have what we were wanting. We have 2 young children and although I would love to give a loving home to an older dog I just dont think it is wise not knowing what treatment they have had in the past and also I always worry why they are being rehomed.

We went to see the puppies, both mum and dad (definitly the mum and dad by looks) were good natured and healthy albeit very big dogs! The guy had had them all vet checked, vaccinated and wormed. Im not sure whether they were a planned litter or if the guy was just making some money (which did concern me even before your post snifter) but everything else was fine.

He has been home with us for 3 days now and he is brilliant. He has a lovely temprament and has settled so well. It does make us miss our dog in the UK even more but im sure in time we will love this little one just as much.

You have opened my eyes to how the pet shops always have pets in them and it does make me sick but all you can hope is the people that do buy them give them a loving home.

Guest Barney Rubble

Great news all round.

Don't forget PET INSURANCE !

Ours has just come back from the vet and needs injections for allergies !

Apparently walking him over the reserve is not good for him which is why lately he doesn't want to put his harness on ! (Unless it is the dog park, loves that)

He is a pedigree and did all what was posted above and is a beautiful puppy but the bloodshot eyes was quite distressing.

BTW, puppies think Xmas trees are fair game too:swoon: part of marking their terratory i s'pose

Great news all round.

Don't forget PET INSURANCE !

Ours has just come back from the vet and needs injections for allergies !

Apparently walking him over the reserve is not good for him which is why lately he doesn't want to put his harness on ! (Unless it is the dog park, loves that)

He is a pedigree and did all what was posted above and is a beautiful puppy but the bloodshot eyes was quite distressing.

BTW, puppies think Xmas trees are fair game too:swoon: part of marking their terratory i s'pose

Awww., glad you've gotten to the bottom of it with him though. There must be something growing there or some such that irritates him or causes an allergic reaction. One of my old dogs had a few allergies but once we knew what the cause was we simply avoided contact with the things as much as possible and had some stuff on hand or just gave the vet a call if it flared up.

Good luck with him. What breed is he may I ask? I adore doglets and would love to see a pic if you've got a spare one floating round.

Thank you all for your replies. We didnt know about puppy farms etc before you all told us, sounds horrible and I did wonder were the pet shops got their animals from, now I know!

We did get a puppy, the ones we liked originally. The rescue homes just didnt have what we were wanting. We have 2 young children and although I would love to give a loving home to an older dog I just dont think it is wise not knowing what treatment they have had in the past and also I always worry why they are being rehomed.

We went to see the puppies, both mum and dad (definitly the mum and dad by looks) were good natured and healthy albeit very big dogs! The guy had had them all vet checked, vaccinated and wormed. Im not sure whether they were a planned litter or if the guy was just making some money (which did concern me even before your post snifter) but everything else was fine.

He has been home with us for 3 days now and he is brilliant. He has a lovely temprament and has settled so well. It does make us miss our dog in the UK even more but im sure in time we will love this little one just as much.

You have opened my eyes to how the pet shops always have pets in them and it does make me sick but all you can hope is the people that do buy them give them a loving home.

Glad things checked out. It does sound possible the litter were an accident, but the owners were responsible and cared for them properly. Crossing a staffy with a ridgeback isn't a common mix anyways, at least not that I've come across. You may end up with a very large energetic dog so make sure your yard is escape proof :cute:

TBH most people with cross breed pups (unless those designer popular cross breeds like labradoodles) tend to be accidental breedings. Although I do always feel that if they are truly responsible they'll have had their dogs neutered and so unplanned litters can't happen. Of course, they may make a few $$$/£££ in the process. So many litters we get handed in at the rescues are cross breeds are often accidental litters and the owners haven't been able to sell/rehome the pups and so pass them on to us :( They've often never even raised a litter of pups and think its a doddle and we tend to get more 'leftovers' in the crossbreed litters (as in less are sold). The ones annoy me are the 'breeders' of pedigrees who do the same and often those dogs are in poor health or suffering some kind of skin problem or lacking social skills. We can usually work out which ones are puppy farm litters and not sold. Makes me mad.

Guest Barney Rubble

He's an Australian Shepherd :wubclub: and sniffed out his present from under the tree this morning and tore the paper off, pretty smart but he out the back playing in the sprinklers so he'll be outside most of the day now.

Will post a picture soon once i get the dinner going on the BBQ.

Agree withthe alergies thing, just going to work it out what it is then the de-sexing bit :skeptical: but we don't intend to breed him and he is just starting to discover female dogs too :jiggy:.

Hope you all have a great Xmas :xmas14: