Swimming Pool Problem ...........

Guest Lulujim

Guest Lulujim

Hello All,

I've got a couple of questions that may have a simple answer (before calling someone out). Can anyone help?

I've got two issues with my pool. Not sure if they're connected.

1. When I move my multi-port valve to backwash, rinse, or waste the water runs to waste. This means I can't backwash my pool! I've had the multi-port valve off and there's no obvious damage and the gasket is good. Strange!

2. I've got good return water when on re-circulate, but when I move to filter then the pressure drops significantly and the return is not very powerful. The reading on the pressure gage doesn't go up too much though (from 90+ to just over 100 kpa). As such, I'm also struggling to vacuum the pool as there's simply not enough suction when on filter.

Can anyone shed any light?

I'm sure a backwash would help, but can't do one without spraying my garden with pool water!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

Iv'e had loads of problems with mine,it's a constant battle with me to keep it clear and fresh.As many Aussies have told me,they are not worth the effort 365 days a year,for a few days enjoyment.Mines Butyl lined,inground and removable.Anyone want the full caboosh in return for filling in the hole and making good?Can't be asred with Pools.:skeptical:

Guest Guest5035
Iv'e had loads of problems with mine,it's a constant battle with me to keep it clear and fresh.As many Aussies have told me,they are not worth the effort 365 days a year,for a few days enjoyment.Mines Butyl lined,inground and removable.Anyone want the full caboosh in return for filling in the hole and making good?Can't be asred with Pools.:skeptical:

funny how the novelty wears off for about 4 months good use.

stevo

We have had a pool for years...overseas and now one here in our Christies Beach rental house.

I have asked my OH and he says that it sounds like the spring on the multiport valve...they stick after a while...try lubricating it (the spring!)

The pressure is far too high. It should be running at around 40 to 50 and once it gets up to 90 or 100 there's too much pressure for the water to be circulated on filter. You are right that this would be solved by backwashing. Is there an inwards leak....is it drawing air into the system? This will cause the pressure to rise and the flow to reduce.

Swimming pools are bottomless money pits...you may as well stand there and chuck dollars into a hole!

They are ok if you have young kids....and the cost of running them can be reduced if you get the chemical balance right.

Anyway...get that spring working or buy another multiport valve....Clarke Rubber in Christies Beach...but they aren't cheap! The last time I was overseas I brought a Barracuda back...quarter of the price of buying it here. (not a real barracuda Stevo...a pool cleaner!)

Tamara

Guest The sparky
Hello All,

I've got a couple of questions that may have a simple answer (before calling someone out). Can anyone help?

I've got two issues with my pool. Not sure if they're connected.

1. When I move my multi-port valve to backwash, rinse, or waste the water runs to waste. This means I can't backwash my pool! I've had the multi-port valve off and there's no obvious damage and the gasket is good. Strange!

2. I've got good return water when on re-circulate, but when I move to filter then the pressure drops significantly and the return is not very powerful. The reading on the pressure gage doesn't go up too much though (from 90+ to just over 100 kpa). As such, I'm also struggling to vacuum the pool as there's simply not enough suction when on filter.

Can anyone shed any light?

I'm sure a backwash would help, but can't do one without spraying my garden with pool water!

Many thanks and Merry Christmas!

If its a sand filter backwash goes to waste (run untill water is clean)

Rinse goes to waste (after backwashing run on rinse for 30 secs)

Then put to filter

Guest Barney Rubble
If its a sand filter backwash goes to waste (run untill water is clean)

Rinse goes to waste (after backwashing run on rinse for 30 secs)

Then put to filter

The Sparky (ironic as so am i) has got it right :cool:

Backwash until the little glass window goes clear, if really bad then it could take a few minutes.

Once clear, rinse and away you go.

Our pool is 12 years old now so kids don't use it too much but as my mate jokes about the pool not getting much use i just tell him it doesn't get as much as his lawn mower does either :tongue:

Pools are fun especially once kept in trim, nothing like sitting in a noodle chair on a warm evening listening to music looking up at the stars. Depending on the weather nearer the day we'll move NYE to here so kids/adults can cool off during the evening.

Personnally i think Spa's are more hard work (don't have one of them) what do others think, Pool or Spa ?

I agree Barney, we love our pool and have used it nearly every day for the last month, but we do have young kids whos friends seem to love it as well, im thinking of getting a turnstyle put in and charging them.....Weve only had ours since july so i suppose it's still a novalty, but after spending all that money im gonna use it till ive got my moneys worth!!!! Just finished cleaning it now so im off for a dip!!!!!!!!

Simon

Guest Barney Rubble

Ha Ha been there !

Turnstile is an ideal thought, we used to let the kids run amuck for hours then feed them then have the adults turn later in the evening once they had been fed and put on a dvd or movie to keep them occupied.

Now the pool is more of a gardening chore than a chemicals one but considering i'm allergic to cut grass (winner winner winner !) i'll keep the pool for a long as possible.

Just got to move the solar heating to make way for the solar panels now, $900.00 electricity bill :wacko: is painfull to say the least