Fat flyers should pay more

Toni

Guest Adelaide_bound

My (skinny) hubby always said it should be done on overall weight, to total your baggage and personal weight, so he would get more baggage, and me far far less (having a huge bottom!). Now he has a bit of a toy shop awning, I think he has changed his mind a little, but I do actually think its a bit of a fairer idea overall I guess.

As a (slight) fatty, the humiliation aspect, to me, is a good thing - might shame some of us piggies into losing the weight we desperately need to finally! (I do not blame big bones, genes or anything else for my size, I am just a greedy guts). Unlike having a medical condition, most people who are chubbies don't really have an excuse for it, we just eat too much and don't move enough. If you have a medical condition, fair enough (I know my brother put on shed loads of weight when he had cancer for eg, because of the drugs), but 'slow metabolism' or 'bad genes' isn't a medical condition, its fooling yourself and making excuses (I know, I've been to Denial, not just a river in Egypt!).

I agree - I am bit larger than is comfortable and its created a few health issues for me too. I hurt my foot a little while ago and I am sure it is not healing so quickly because of the extra weight and because of lack of exercise it isn't taking much for me to put on weight at the moment which is very annoying as I am not eating a whole lot. But I love food too.....good food mind you, and wine and chocolate and..........

I just hope we don't become a society where we make larger people feel "emotionally uncomfortable" about it. It would be awful to go back to the dark ages where people made fun of large people. I know it still happens but it isn't politically correct or even a "nice" thing to do.

Gotta say I'm all for this one.

With airlines making seats narrower and less leg room to fit in more seats, there is nothing worse than being crammed in next to someone who is too big to fit in a normal width seat, and overflows into your space. I hate this 'jostling for use of the arm rest' thing and if someone is pressed up against my legs from thigh downwards, I'd like to have a choice of their identity!

I don't think this is aimed at those who are "a little overweight" (which includes me I might add) but more at those people that really should buy two seats if that's the width they are going to take up!

How would they work that to make it fair though? For instance someone of 6ft would be charged more than someone of 5ft! That makes them no more overweight just taller. Gets you thinking in allsorts of directions.

Guest Adelaide_bound
How would they work that to make it fair though? For instance someone of 6ft would be charged more than someone of 5ft! That makes them no more overweight just taller. Gets you thinking in allsorts of directions.

If it was a dead level set that included your luggage, then imho its not against tall people really, at the end of the day its because of the fuel that person uses up with their total weight on the plane - whether that is because they are chubby, or tall or have lots of bags is the same imho. I know you can't adjust your height but you can the other two, but my brain sort of goes, yeah, not 100% fair, but life isn't really - and being tall has its advantages over being a real real shortb*m so its not all bad :) (struggling every time you go to the supermarket because you can only reach the bottom three shelves is embarrassing lol).

I guess they could do it on BMI instead? Whilst that doesn't work for health purposes particularly well (ie if you have a lot of muscle you don't have a good BMI), in this case it might just work?