Fascination with built in wardrobes...

Kingpin

Lighthearted question here so go easy on me....

What is the fascination with built in wardrobes in Australian homes??? I am just not getting it. In some of the homes we have looked at they are so big, other than a bed there isnt room for any other furniture. Is it just me?

Walk in wardrobes I understand. BIR, mystery to me...

Sarah

We are building again and I'm not keen on the sliding wardrobe doors, so we have 2 opening doors this time. Plus they are cheaper ;-)

You do get used to them and you tastes will change - honestly

Tina

We also shipped a wardrobe over and its now a storage unit full of camping gear in the garage.

My built in robe has mirrored doors, 2 chests of drawers inside, extra shelving for jumpers etc as well as above the hanging rails, 2 rails one side and longer single rail on the other (still room for a tallboy, armchair and reading lamp and blanket box if required as the room is 5 metres long!!! - so far I'm using an old pine and white chest of drawers in the alcove next to the walk-in and ensuite bathroom - with shower and spa bath)

DSC02183.jpg

DSC02165.jpg

I was only trying to give advise trying to help out but if you don't like the answers don't ask silly questions.

Have beautiful free standing ones shipped over....:frown:

Well get a house with out built ins easy as that, plenty of houses with out most older houses don't have built ins.

Er...yes. As I said "lighthearted" thread. Jeeeezz.

I much prefer built ins, even had them in the uk. So much better for storage if they are designed well, a stand alone unless it was built well will go all wobbly and crap. My opinion of course