What do you have to carry when driving ?

minty

You are only allowed a certain amount of time to change your licence over think its 3 months. When we came over we had to sit your driving test again and I only made it by a few days or they would have taken my licence off me, I know now you do not have to sit your test but you still only have a certain amount of time to change it over.I am sure someone will know.

nah u dont you be ok, ive not even changed my licence... bad i know but u just need your licence and you are fine

Guest Jo&Phil

There is some useful information here about driving on an overseas licence .......... you need an SA licence when you're a permanent resident but fortunately (!) no longer need to take the test!

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport,+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

yeah i know, i spoke to my friend who is a police officer and he adv i will get a caution but thats all, ...

Don't believe them! Have yet to hear of anyone getting a caution for anything, rather than the far more popular fine! Even heard of someone whose P plate had come unstuck during a journey and was lying on the dashboard, with the driver meaning to stick it back up when he stopped at the lights, but before he could do so, got pulled by the police and fined! Your friend might give you a caution, but if someone other than him pulled you over... let's just say I wouldn't bank on all the police being so understanding!

Guest The Dimmocks

I just read at the bottom of my recent registration renewal and it says "You may wish to detach this section and place in the glove box of your vehicle - it does not contain personal information".

Rego you don't need to carry the bottom slip, checks trough the police MDT will show your covered.

If you PR and have resided here for 3 months or more you can get a ticket.

you should register here and swap over to a sa licene.

aussie cops donor like to give cautions as their line managers tell them off, so be warned if you get stopped for being on a UK licence, tell them you have only jut got here...

Some interesting responses on here about how long you have to change the licence over (depends on type of visa actually), what a policeman friend advises (sorry, but policemen - and no doubt women - don't know all the ins and outs of visa implications; there are plenty of very old threads about this very subject) and most people not bothering with insurance - really?

The correct answer to the question 'what do you have to carry when driving?' as anybody who's spent any time on the roads here will know, is 'a phone', which you must use at all times when behind the wheel ... ;)

Jim

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Interstate+and+international+motorists/Motorists+from+overseas/Driving+with+an+overseas+licence

New residents

If you are issued a permanent visa and become a resident of South Australia, you must obtain a South Australian driver’s licence within three months and you may be required to surrender your overseas driver's licence. Once you are issued with a South Australian learner's permit or driver's licence, your overseas licence is invalid.

[h=2]Recognised overseas licences[/h]South Australia recognises the driver licensing and testing standards in the countries listed below. If you hold, or have held a driver's licence within the last five years you are not required to undertake equivalent driving tests in South Australia.[TABLE=width: 489]

[TR]

[TD]Austria[/TD]

[TD]Belgium[/TD]

[TD]Canada[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Croatia [/TD]

[TD]Denmark[/TD]

[TD]Finland[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]France[/TD]

[TD]Germany[/TD]

[TD]Greece[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Guernsey[/TD]

[TD]Ireland[/TD]

[TD]Isle of Man[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Italy[/TD]

[TD]Japan[/TD]

[TD]Jersey[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Luxembourg[/TD]

[TD]Malta[/TD]

[TD]Netherlands[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]New Zealand[/TD]

[TD]Norway[/TD]

[TD]Portugal[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Singapore[/TD]

[TD]Spain[/TD]

[TD]Sweden[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Switzerland[/TD]

[TD]United Kingdom[/TD]

[TD]United States[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

If your foreign licence is for a class other than a car or motorcycle, and you wish to keep that class of licence, you must undertake a practical driving test in a vehicle of that class (excluding road trains and B-doubles).

Jim, this policeman certainly knew that...

if you have any questions you can always ask a policemen, if they don't know the answer they will find it...

The Australian road rules the road traffic act and motor vehicle act are all available to view

just check them out and you can find out what the regs are

good luck

Rego you don't need to carry the bottom slip, checks trough the police MDT will show your covered..

I have heard there's a bit of an information gap if you go interstate though, so definitely if you're driving across the border to Victoria, take a copy of your paperwork with you.

The correct answer to the question 'what do you have to carry when driving?' as anybody who's spent any time on the roads here will know, is 'a phone', which you must use at all times when behind the wheel ... ;)

Jim

But it's soooo difficult to use the phone while you're doing your hair and makeup and reading the day's paper, Jim!! Isn't that what all those traffic lights are put there for?? :biglaugh:

aw thanks so much :) just had a look, im a citizen worst they can do is make me surrender my uk licence and change over to an SA one so im fine till i have some spare cash :D

Also comes with a large fine and penalty points.....

got here in in Nov 11 and went in to driving licence office and showed my uk/irish licence paid the fee got my new s aus licence and my own licence back,no hassle at all.