Nothing to do with Emigrating!

Guest RobJ1978

Guest RobJ1978

My daughter currently attends the smallest school in cumbria AKA Captain Shaw's Primary School. The school has been under threat of closure for the last 30 years, through no fault of its own. It is a very good school, however with only 16 pupils it is once again getting targeted. We are only going to be 13,000 in deficiet next year which is only 3,000 more than allowed...as part of a VERY active PTA we have raised 2,000 just before xmas...this isnt getting taken into consideration as it isn't a regular income! Now we have the local MP on board...but we really need to get our name out there. The school is going to be on Granada reports, hopefully tonight.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had to fight for the same cause and if you can give me some tips on what to do and who to contact that might make a difference?

Look at what the children did at the Cumbria County Council meeting

Here is the petition if you would like to help us out....apparently we need 3000 signatures to spark a debate...we only have 700 in total...so help is greatly needed http://www.change.org/petitions/captain-shaws-ce-primary-school-prevent-closure

Thank you if you have taken the time to read this.

Advice welcomed!

Nic.x.x.x.

We had a school close in 1997 Croydon Park Primary School (in Adelaide). The parents and community of that suburb staged this excellent media campaign - they blitzed politicians at every possible turn. The community would find out where the MPs were going to be and would organise banners etc and ensure that they got media coverage. In the main it was a quiet protest - sometimes you would just see a glimpse of a poster or a small group of people hanging about with a banner. It went on for months. Unfortunately it wasn't successful as the government had other plans (I believe they built a housing estate on that spot) but it was great to see the spirit of people and was very embarrassing for the government.

Also added to petition. Smaller schools are great community experiences. My daughter's school suddenly downsized last year ending up with a quarter of pupils but the community involvement and spirit and attendance at events to support the students went up 100%. The students gained so much more from being able to exchange time across all ages from 5-17. Small schools have their place and if they provide a good learning environment then they should be given a chance. Pity there isn't a wealthy parent on board, I read of one dad in the UK who bought his daughter's dwindling school because he thought he could turn it around and he wanted his daughter to continue there. Could you apply for it to be one of those free schools that are opening in England? Good luck with it all.

Guest RobJ1978

Thank you all so so much!

We could apply to be a free school, but because of only 16 pupils, it makes it only 11 parents...quite a difficult task. Plus, i'm kinda in limbo because obviously we won't be there, so can't take any of the jobs on. But they are thinking of it.

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest RobJ1978

Hi guys,

Just thought i would update you....to council still want to close us, so the local councillors did a 'call-in' which is to say the big group of councillors didn't have the correct information when they presented the case.....this didn't work and they went ahead to propose closure.....we are now doing a peaceful protest on saturday through the village. Looks like the end decision is going to be 12th April....and we are looking into flights on 9th...gutted i wont be here...but also can't hold off.....can I????

The original links are still in use if any new lookers would like to sign our petition and post it on Facebook!

Thats all folks!

Nic.x.