15 or 20 years plus ?

Guest Barney Rubble

Guest Barney Rubble

Wish we had this forum back then, arrived here in 88 with a 2 year plan to recce, went back as 3 in 90 then turned to 4 in 93'.

Anyone else been here this long ?

From memory, an aging one at that, we had . . . . .

No cider other than strongbow, sweet, dry or draught :mad:

no mobile phones,

no computers,

no internet,

no saturday arvo shopping !

no sunday shopping ! !

no Poms in Adelaide.

my most prevailant memory was that it cost a pound a minute to 'phone home' as ET would say.:swoon:

Arrived here Oct 77. Back then......

The southern suburbs didn't exist beyond Hallett Cove.

There was a large gap between Elizabeth and Gawler.

Golden Grove was still farmland.

There was horse racing at Victoria Park and people agisted horses there.

Saturday 1200 all shops and petrol stations within the metro area shut except delis, etc. You had to drive to Eagle -On - The -Hill when the freeway still went there to get petrol or down south by Silver Sands.

Aldinga was where you went for holidays in your shack.

John Martins still existed and you went there or to Myers to get kitted out for school, even the regulation coloured undies.

Petrol was 25c litre, $1 bag of mixed lollies would last a week. Supermarkets had to cover up their meat section at 6 on Thursday late opening to protect the independent Butchers.

There were 5 drive in cinemas around Adelaide. Plus 8 cinemas in town. There was an ice skating rink in Hindley St. The only thing open on a Sunday at Glenelg was Madame Carmelas and the Grand was only 3 storeys high.

You could only fly to other domestic airports and you had to walk out to your plane, the hostess had a stash of umbrellas ready. Security was Zilch in the departure area.

Kids could leave school at 15 and many country high schools stopped after yr 10.

The milk carton Birdman Rally was held off Glenelg Jetty on Australia Day.

You could catch a train for the day to Victor.

The Bunyip at Murray Bridge looked a lot healthier and would come out of the water for 20c.

People wore short shorts and music trends/ fashion took a year to hit Aus after they were released in Europe.

Uni was free!

Tv was full of American shows like The Brady Bunch, Hogan's heroes, Petticoat Junction etc after school.

Sunday 6pm was Countdown with Molly Meldrum with live acts. Saturday morning meant cartoons, the only time they were on. Weekdays from 4-6 was the Channel Niners kids show with Winky Dink the duck and you could get tickets to be in the audience. Channel 10 had Fat Cat. Fat Cat always went to bed at 6pm

Channel Nine had Humphrey Bear. The ABC showed the british series and TV ceased about 10 or 11pm.

Not everyone had international dialling capacity on the phone, you had to apply for it and it was about $1 a minute so our calls were timed. $1 then would be like $10 now.

Guest Guest5035
Feb 91 also ....... probably on the same plane as Stevo :biglaugh:

was that you sat next to me on that 747, snoring and slavvering with your mouth wide open.......

:huh:

stevo

RachieGarlo - you arrived just as we were leaving. The TV you have spot on but I have to disagree with the Southern Suburubs as we lived in PN and it was up and coming.

Mum and dad moved to PN as they didn't want to go North with all the other POMS as I told Tamara we used to live on Posh Hill god knows why as it wasn't posh but we had great neighbours.

I really look forward to coming home and seeing how 'home' has changed.

Guest Barney Rubble

Another one,

Golden Grove was at release stage 2 . . . . .

agreed it took a lot of guts and i love hearing the (Qantas) song "I Still Call Australia home" although i am not neutralised, sorry nationalised, yet, which is poor on my behalf:embarressed:

Have to get around to doing that soon.

Guest Barney Rubble
I remember the airport walk in fact its not that long ago it changed, and you still get guys wearing short shorts, I remember looking at Golden grove and thinking of buying a block of land there.

Bizzare !

Was on my way out to get some of the latest land releases and our friends phone rang (we were staying in Willaston) and it was a Real Estate agent, showed us this house and we are still here.

was that you sat next to me on that 747, snoring and slavvering with your mouth wide open.......

:huh:

stevo

Sometimes Stevo I think you ACTUALLY know me :shocked:

I remember when Panalatinga Road was a small, pot-holed country lane and Woodcroft was ..... well ...... more or less non existent. There were horses grazing where the shopping centre is now, and vines all over.

I remember the single storey Marion Mall, with no cinema. And the tiny Colonnades Mall.

When the international terminal (shed) at the airport had one gate.

When Glenelg didn't have the eyesore apartments on the beachfront, but did have the eyesore (giant dog poo) Magic Mountain.

When Seaford still had some character and was mainly show homes ..... who knew?

When there were half a milion fewer people clogging up the roads ...... driving here now feels like some of what we were trying to get away from.

Rump steak $3.99 a kilo!

Hubby not getting a permanent, full time job for almost 2 years because of the recession we had to have.

Pizza Hut at Junk Food Junction .... cheap $5 all you can eat lunches mmmmm.

Woodcroft Primary School being built ....... and my two kids amongst the first 55 to enrol there.

Having the second house built on the massive Woodcroft Heights Estate ...... no neighbours and we could still hear kookaburras then. Mind you most of it was just fields, no roads then.

I also remember (and please note this is an observation, not a racist statement) that back in the 90's you would never seen any Indian or black people at all. Other migrants were usually Polish or Italians and Greek, and very few from the Asian countries.

I've got more ..............

No Southern Expressway

The old Freeway before the tunnels ..... and Eagle On The Hill

Looking at the land release at Golden Grove and thinking .......... nope! Too far from the beach for me.

The Myer Centre roller coaster, and ......... before the Myer Centre was built!!!

Adelaide Oval when it was still beautiful.

Port Adelaide market ..... when the market was a decent place to go for bric a brac.

Reynella Markets ........ before it became a happy clappy place.

Salesian College by Sir Donald Bradman Drive ......... my kids played rugby there, now it's a housing estate.

Seaview Winery at Reynella ........ lovely sparkling happy juice ............ now a winery.

Being able to grow 10 cannabis plants for personal use ............ not me though :cute:

When British Airways still flew into Adelaide, and the runway at the airport used to be a lot shorter too.

The days when I shopped at Franklins, and BiLo, and we didn't have Woolies!

A speeding fine was about $80!!!

I've got more ...............

Remember when Mitsubishi was a major employer in Adelaide .... with the plant at Clovelly Park AND the engine plant at Lonsdale?

And the oil refinery at Lonsdale?

And Hallett Cove was a quarter of the size it is now.

When you built a house with Homestead, A V Jennings, Fairmont, Devine, Rossdale or Sterling homes, and that was about all the choice you had.

When you could buy a decent block of land for around $30,000 (ours was that price for 710 sq m) in Woodcroft

Petrol was about 48c a litre

The State Bank collapsed, the National Wine Centre was a pipe dream, and now a distant memory I believe, and Onkaparinga Hills was called Hackham East until some folks in a new estate decided the name wasn't good enough for them :biglaugh: and petitioned for it to be changed.

When school fees in public schools were still affordable, and so were the uniforms!

When everyone seemed to own a blue heeler and not a fluffball on legs.

When it was rare to see a Korean, Japanese or European built car on the roads because we still had tarriffs protecting our car industry. It really was Ford, or Holden!

Guest Guest5035
Sometimes Stevo I think you ACTUALLY know me :shocked:

remember on that flight we joined the mile high club!!:shocked:

Yeah Stevo ...... and no SKIN CANCERS either ........... I've had three removed this year.

I also remember when my stomach and my car steering wheel were not touching when I drove! :biglaugh:

i also remember when my stomach didn't touch the driving wheel but another part of my anatomy did, but now they've swapped over

:biglaugh:

stevo

remember on that flight we joined the mile high club!!:shocked:

I also remember when my stomach didn't touch the driving wheel but another part of my anatomy did, but now they've swapped over

:biglaugh:

stevo

1. Ahhh ....... the most memorable 15 seconds of my life ............. :goofy:

2. That's the funniest thing I've read for a long time .............. I have got the giggles :biglaugh:

20 years since I first came to Australia (including Adelaide). Over 17 years since I moved out here to live (1st time round). Ping pong-ed back to England for 12 years though. A lot has changed, not all for the better. I remember the roller coaster at the the top of the Myer Centre though, and Magic Mountain was great. The airport has definately improved. In general Adelaide has got more commericalised, busier, more like the rest of the world, and less "Australian" in the last 20 years.

Guest Barney Rubble

another few, iced coffee was 99c for 600ml and 49c for a 300ml.

There were 13 cranes in the Adelaide skyline then we had "The recession we had to have" then there were 2 for years over vacant sites.

Home interest rates went fron 13% up to 17% and we thought about bailing out of this 'banana republic' country.

Oh and the revolving restaurant at Glenenlg needed a booking !

Guest Guest5035
What can I say Stevo? I'm a home bod, can't stand crowds, or being ripped off!

Back in 91 no Crows or Port Power, so even now if you don't like crowds watching either team you'll be right, RAS is one big rip off in my eyes, BDO never been, i prefer Glen Miller...

stevo