will you pay to park at marion shopping centre?

Guest smurph

just stated on radio.. that they will charge after 2hrs of parking.. so thats alright for me, i dont like shopping so 2hrs is way too long anyway..lol

but unsure about the cinema.. films are a lot longer than 2hrs these days.

To be honest, it's something my parents always marvel at here, how you can park places without paying. In the UK - well in Brentwood anyway which is their nearest shopping centre - you have to pay even to park at Sainsbury's - although they refund you if you spend enough money with them, for two hours parking anyway. Took my Mum to the library here and she was saying she never goes to Brentwood library because it costs so much to park anywhere!

So yes, Adelaide is a bit behind the times generally, but it's doing its best to catch up in some way - which isn't necessarily a good thing!

I'm not sure they will all charge for parking. I can only imagine Marion and maybe West lakes could do this as the Car Parks each Saturday are usually very full. Marion in particular has the smallest car park for the size of shopping centre, so there will always be demand to park there even if you have to pay. By contrast, Collenades probably has the largest car park ever with regards to the size of the shopping centre, even at Christmas it's rarely full. It couldn't afford to drive away any business.

But back on question, I wouldn't pay to park there. I actually think the cinema is pretty dirty compared to most, the only reason to go to Marion for me is TGI' Fridays.

if they charge after 2 hours, then every 1 hour 55 mins just go back to the car and move it to another spot, no charge at all then.

stevo

I'd LOL at people who try it and think it'd work. Considering your number plate is read upon entry and exit to the car park. 2 hours every 24 hours is free.

Why would you want to be there more than 2 hours, if you want to go to cinema park in Bunnings.:wink:

God knows, anything over 20 minutes in a shopping mall does my head in lol. I'd just go to Wallis down Noarlunga as we get $11 tickets down there. You just have to cross your fingers that your car is still there when you come out!!

Guest Guest5035
God knows, anything over 20 minutes in a shopping mall does my head in lol. I'd just go to Wallis down Noarlunga as we get $11 tickets down there. You just have to cross your fingers that your car is still there when you come out!!

the cars been stolen to sell the parts to pay for the car parking....:biglaugh:

stevo

Guest RobJ1978

Are you saying Noarlunga is rough???? Just we have been looking around that area as it seems to have a lot of facilities....but obviously the net doesnt say it all?

Nic.x.

Guest Adelaide_bound

In the UK our local Tesco started charging for trolleys (you know, the £1 in the handle type thing), and we stopped going pretty much ever - think I've been back about 5 times in the last 5 months. There is a small parade of chain shops there, Boots, M&S and the like, so we've stopped going to those as well as a result. Its more the inconvenience than anything else of having to make sure you have change, but after two people ripped us off (us saying 'we'll take your trolley, here's the pound' and them not having put a pound in it, so we didn't get it back when we returned the trolley, and someone actually managing to steal our pound out of the device whilst going around the aisles) it really really annoyed us, so didn't bother any more and went to other supermarkets. Their loss really.

Anyone know how much it will be? I must say that it is really annoying driving round and round looking for a space on a hot day - think everyone goes down there to cool off! On the one hand I will probably get a space quicker on those days but on the other there may be a lot of elderly people staying at home and getting too hot rather than cooly sipping a latte at a marion coffee shop.

I think it will be the coffee shops / eating outlets that will be the ones to lose out from this - you are not likely to go and have a leisurely lunch after shopping if you know that you may have a parking fine.

Are you saying Noarlunga is rough???? Just we have been looking around that area as it seems to have a lot of facilities....but obviously the net doesnt say it all?

Nic.x.

Take no notice.It's just a joke!Noarlunga is OK.There's nothing wrong with the place.Just been to Port Noarlunga this evening,and it was great,busy'ish,civilised and very clean.Some old myths never die unfortunately !

Nic.x.

Yeah as sue said! It's just a joke!! Nothing wrong with Noarlunga really. All areas have their reputations, and Noarlunga is car crime. Although I've never had a problem parking down there.

The main reason for charging to park in the uk is for people leaving their cars and sharing one to work or getting the train and blocking the car parks up all day ,so proper shopper's can't get a parking place,as for putting a pound in the trolley ,its just to stop the kids pushing them in the canal or scum bags pushing them home with there shopping in ,if you've got to put a pound in every trolley you steal the kids soon get board ,although our asda has wheel clamp's that lock on if you go off the car park.

Kev.

Guest Adelaide_bound
as for putting a pound in the trolley ,its just to stop the kids pushing them in the canal or scum bags pushing them home with there shopping in ,if you've got to put a pound in every trolley you steal the kids soon get board ,although our asda has wheel clamp's that lock on if you go off the car park.

Which is why its so odd, as they don't have a trolley problem at our Tesco, as its on a multiple lane dual carriage way, so there isn't anywhere for them to be stolen too, and I've certainly never seen any, anywhere else than in the supermarket. I have no idea why they've done it, cause I can't see how they are making any money out of it either - I guess its just head office policy unfortunately :(

Which is why its so odd, as they don't have a trolley problem at our Tesco, as its on a multiple lane dual carriage way, so there isn't anywhere for them to be stolen too, and I've certainly never seen any, anywhere else than in the supermarket. I have no idea why they've done it, cause I can't see how they are making any money out of it either - I guess its just head office policy unfortunately :(

If you think about it like the man in head office ,it means you put the trolley back from were you got it ,so you get your pound back ,so it save's them having to employ trolley pusher's to collect them from one end of the car to the other,just a simple mind game.

Kev.

Our local Woolworths has started with the trolley-charging thing and recently Coles has followed suit on some of theirs - I'm guessing they will introduce them to all of their trolleys in time, which sucks.

As for the parking thing, at the moment I am sure I won't go to Marion once the scheme has started but I have a sneaky feeling that once the drama has cooled down, I will be back. I imagine most people will be because the reality is, it is the closest shopping centre for a lot of people. We just don't like change or being insulted by having to pay to go buy stuff!

I don't know how the charge for parking will take into consideration people dropping off, then collecting kids from work, cinema etc? Will that quick in-and-out count against your 2 in 24 hours? If you drive in but then cannot find a park, will you still have to pay?

I heard that his scheme will gradually be rolled out to other sites. Paying for a park at the hospitals, paying for trolleys...where will it all end lol!?

LC