My Mum (80) knows that we have been talking about emigrating so I asked her today how much she would like to know and how soon would she want to know if we were really going to go.
A year before? 6 months? 3 months?
She said as soon as we decide she would like to know so she could be prepared.
So I told her we had definitely decided it was now or never and we are waiting to receive the paperwork.
She looked a bit sad and said 'you have to do what's right for the children' and she will miss us. My sister left to live in France in December and she is still upset about that so I feel awful for leaving her and know once we go we probably will never see her again and that is something we will have to live with
We have even said she can come with us but she said its too hot and it wears her out walking into Pudsey (where she lives) never mind a 24 hour flight!
Then she started saying 'who is going to bury me? and I told her that Su (my sister) is only 2 hours away and I can be home in a day.
I've told her that we are not going to take anything with us when we go because if I can't take her then nothing else is important, and she said 'well you are taking the dogs and the cat!' she doesn't miss a trick! lol
Now the Mother In Law she is a different story altogether, we didn't dare tell her I was pregnant and that was 19 years ago!
God knows how she is going to take it because OH sister her only other child is moving to Brisbane in April and she is needing medication to cope with that information.
Don't know whether to tell her straight away or leave it till last minute - she is very delicate
When is the best time to tell?