Is Migrating Easier these days or Not ?

AussieRob

Just a thought really, nothing contentious.

Aside from the unknown emotional drama that comes from Migrating (missing family, Friends, etc which you cannot foresee or underestimate), is it easier to migrate these days, here's why ?

Nearly everyone has email, sending instant letters and pictures via e-mail is a great way of sharing, just think of the older days when letters would take weeks to get a reply.

Facebook is another great way of keeping in touch, sharing pictures, locations and thoughts.

Calls home are soo cheap these days, by so many methods, Even just 10 years ago it would have been a min 50c per minute, these days you can't spend that in 1 hour.

Video calls via Messenger too, to see family and friends

And finally, although still expensive flights are relatively cheaper to the old days, my aunt migrated some years ago, and if someone was to visit england it may be a choice of who could go rather than when they could all go back.

then to help you settle there are shops to give you foods from home, more pubs do british foods and beers, supermarkets now do microwavable curries, plus loads of things that have changed even in the 7 years I have been here which seem to make it easier.....

But........ With all this ease of keeping touch, helping you settle, does it actually have a detrimental effect, of keeping us with one foot in the British camp....

Guest Guest75
I think it is a lot easer these days when we moved computers were black magic and had never heard of the Internet It makes life so much easer now.Still think They are still behind the times here but are catching up slowly.

Smoke signals were used when you arrived Ian!!:tongue:

Back on topic.................

Good question.

We arrived nearly 12 years ago.

No forums and little info on the internet. People thought we were mad and even the locals here questioned our move.

We had visited a good friend here though.

I'd say it is fractionally easier as there is sooooo much more information available.

But still you have to actually experience the move and this land.

The emotional side will just be the same.

Think back to the early settlers - they would exchange the odd letter with UK family and that was it. Never able to return.

If I collect guests from the airport I give the guided tour on the way home. People often comment that they have read so much about the areas but to see them in the flesh is another thing.

Dunno about easier; I think it's a lot more expensive though than 7 years ago when we worked out everything at 2.5 dollars to the pound, and the house market in the UK was a lot better whilst houses here were a lot cheaper!

When my folks moved to Australia in the 60's though even a letter would take months and months to arrive - they lived here 3 years and didn't see any of their UK family in all that time - whereas since we've been here, we've had rellies visit just about every year, and have been back for two family trips. It was also a lot more backward here - women weren't welcomed in pubs and air conditioning was hardly invented!! Mind you, that was Sydney!

I saw one of those docco's the other week, where they showed an ever increasing percentage of british migrants returning to the UK within 5 years, is that because more of us actually have a short term plan of experiencing another country, or do we just not let go of the old country like we had to years ago and miss it more.

I am missing my friends A LOT but because of Skype, emails, etc it is not TOO bad.

Everything is very expensive but we were aware and we budget carefully.

But I didnt for one second think I would miss London and Kent (Garden of England) as much as I do. Victorian houses and the Royal Parks, the Tube and the buses. Quaint villages and proper trees and lawns. Can't really compensate for those.

Sarah