not ripped off in the UK

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

following on from a previous thread on being ripped off, i'm in nottingham at the mo, caring for my old fella. Doing the shopping in the supermarkets and obviously with my exchange rate which i base on 65p or 1.50 dollars whichever way you look at it, THINGS ARE SO BLOODY CHEAP here, unbelievably cheap, can't get my head around it, bear in mind i'm only talking shopping nothing else, petrol etc etc. Even if one takes the easy option of converting at 50p or 2 dollars, still cheap

stevo

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

following on from a previous thread on being ripped off, i'm in nottingham at the mo, caring for my old fella. Doing the shopping in the supermarkets and obviously with my exchange rate which i base on 65p or 1.50 dollars whichever way you look at it, THINGS ARE SO BLOODY CHEAP here, unbelievably cheap, can't get my head around it, bear in mind i'm only talking shopping nothing else, petrol etc etc. Even if one takes the easy option of converting at 50p or 2 dollars, still cheap

stevo

Yes cheap as chips! You especially see the difference in things like bread, milk, fruit, cordials and dairy produce. Amazing isn't it?

Thanks Stevo for being honest ,its hard for a lot of us to get our heads round aussie price's ,you should have a look at used car and van prices while you here as well,

I hope everything works out Ok for you and your family,

Kev.

Guest Guest5035

don't talk to me about cars here, seen about 30 upto now i want to take back, i reckon if i could, about 20 to 30 k dollars mark up on each one less taxes, a porche boxter 2002, 9k sterling ...........FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Audis,VW, BMW, Mercedes, so cheap. My old fellas 1999 opel corsa 44000 miles, he reckons 500 quid tops, over in adelaide 5/7k dollars

stevo

The thing is, I walk round the supermarkets here and grumble to myself at just how expensive things have gotten in recent times. Bread has shot up 20p a loaf, apples are nearly £2 for 6, chicken is, well, its pricey, and lots of other things as well.

While it seems cheap to you coming over from Aus, when you live in it on a day to day basis, on UK salaries and with UK outgoings and fuel prices, it is getting more expensive.

Personally i think meat, fruit, and veg are on par cost wise. The rest of the weekly shop is definatly cheaper in the UK.

Fresh produce in Oz is much tasties though. Go grab a bag of cheap apples in the Uk or cheap anything, there all disgusting.

Have you actually done the food shopping lately????? :wink: Apples. More often than not decent ones are 4.99 dollars a kilo!!!!! That's, like, 4 apples! Crazy but true.

Apples on special this week in Woolworths $2.47 a kilo :-). We buy our fruits depending on what is in season.

I buy what is in season too. Not sure how one apple can be in season and not another though!!!! Anyway tHat's the apples I have been buying since we arrived. Missing my Granny Smiths a lot. I also have been giving broccoli a miss recently.....

Yes I shop and stand by what I said, compared to what I brought in the UK meat, fruit, and veg is around the same and some cheaper; a kilo of chicken breast $9 for instance and for what it's worth I thought white goods were just as cheap 7.5 kilo washing maching $550, 51" tv $550 all about the same. Cars defense toy cheaper in the uk but insurance cheaper in oz and fuel is to.

Yes I shop and stand by what I said, compared to what I brought in the UK meat, fruit, and veg is around the same and some cheaper; a kilo of chicken breast $9 for instance and for what it's worth I thought white goods were just as cheap 7.5 kilo washing maching $550, 51" tv $550 all about the same. Cars defense toy cheaper in the uk but insurance cheaper in oz and fuel is to.

More driving though...which negates the cheaper fuel. And your cheap washing machine...is it a reliable brand I have heard of???

More driving though...which negates the cheaper fuel. And your cheap washing machine...is it a reliable brand I have heard of???

Not as much driving as in the UK for me. In the UK 800 miles a week in oz about 350 ks a week and the washing machine and TV are both Samsung so yeah an ok make.

Guest Sachertorte
Not sure how one apple can be in season and not another though!!!!

I learned that here too! Fuji apples not around all year, granny smith are. Same as pears etc. People here understand produce a lot more. If you speak to your elderly locals they will tell you where the local orchards are and you can get mostly organic produce there very cheaply.

Not as much driving as in the UK for me. In the UK 800 miles a week in oz about 350 ks a week and the washing machine and TV are both Samsung so yeah an ok make.

Less driving must be a rarity. We have gone from one car used only at weekends to running two cars daily. Husband drives to and from work and does lots of site visits and I drive to school, to shops, parks, after school activities etc etc. Massive increase.

Anyway, I know everyone has different opinions. Just airing mine.

I've got an LG front loader which has been absolutely hammered every day for 2 yrs and has never once gone wrong!Not perhaps what is considered as a top brand,but i have been seriously impressed!We had top brand washing machines in the UK,but the extended warranty was usually called upon not long after the 12 month guarantee was up!

Yes it's horses for courses. I had a 130 mile trip into London every day from Hampshire and the wife had a 30 round trip school run so I have not included using the car at the weekends. Wife can walk the school run now. White goods were from the good guys and they always discount and most goods are more than comparable.

Just my opinion.

I think it's all really swings and roundabouts really, the dollar is high which makes things seem cheap, yet look at wages etc and the average income here is higher, mate that we were over in Perth with at the weekend who is from the uk could earn 3 times as much here yet couldn't get over how expensive it seemed.

Comparing costs of cars etc and some white goods is non sensical really due to different free trade agreements and such like.

I do a lot more driving here things are more spread out used to be able to take a walk to a local shop in the UK 5-10 mins, there are not many local shops about here every where has to be by car where I live the bus services is rubbish 30 mins walk to the train station so everywhere by car.