Could i, would i????????

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Been asking myself this question for the past few days, i'm here in Nottingham, family member reasons, the wife is in Colchester family member reasons, asked myself last night could i live here again................i think i really could do it......FFS!!... Reasons, obviously family over here, theres something else i see, its that community feel everywhere you go, also close to Europe, countryside, villages, cities are there if required, so easy and close to other towns cities, and being so cheap.

BUT the weather would stop me, i know you acclimatise, just like i am now, two t's and a sweatshirt and warm coat, also not having my wage here.. then my kids are established in Adelaide plus a few other reasons

stevo

Guest Guest5035

from what i've seen so far people are friendly here too, especially where my oldies and brother live, small communities, not been to the city yet, but i guess a city is a city, like in Australia.

stevo

Guest teamV

Stevo ,I think partly you've got holiday fever ,as I've said before I've never been anywhere I didn't like at all ,apart from hamburg .also the uk just seems so uncomplicated compaired to all the rules and regs out there .

We are a good 5 hours drive to Dover ,but last month once we got there it's like everywhere is right on your door step ,once you here the first french person you just feel like the adventure has begun.

We are really looking forward to Australia but I don't know wether we will ever feel 100 % at home there.

Kev..

Guest Helchops

Wow, Stevo...they'd have to close the forum...

I think in emigrating, I've come to realise that Britain really isn't so bad. I'm hoping that by going to Adelaide with my eyes open, it will enable me to be realistic about our choices rather than hating britain, getting to Oz and realising there are the same problems there too!!

However, I think the above poster was right, you're in holiday mode! Seeing friends and family and doing all those lovely things we just don't get time to do every day really does make you enjoy yourself. Plus, the old adage goes that 'quality' time is much better than being next door but never having those special moments because you're busy.

I think the climate is a massive reason not to come back. It really is hard to get motivated when it's pitch black outside - but then in the Midlands we've been having some fantastic weather this week for the time of year. (And I suffer from SAD - and by that I just mean I get grumpy when it's cold and dark - I was never meant to be in the northern hemisphere!)

Guest Guest5035
Wow, Stevo...they'd have to close the forum...

I think in emigrating, I've come to realise that Britain really isn't so bad. I'm hoping that by going to Adelaide with my eyes open, it will enable me to be realistic about our choices rather than hating britain, getting to Oz and realising there are the same problems there too!!

However, I think the above poster was right, you're in holiday mode! Seeing friends and family and doing all those lovely things we just don't get time to do every day really does make you enjoy yourself. Plus, the old adage goes that 'quality' time is much better than being next door but never having those special moments because you're busy.

I think the climate is a massive reason not to come back. It really is hard to get motivated when it's pitch black outside - but then in the Midlands we've been having some fantastic weather this week for the time of year. (And I suffer from SAD - and by that I just mean I get grumpy when it's cold and dark - I was never meant to be in the northern hemisphere!)

i agree in what you are saying and ask myself ......................so why did we go........this is my 3rd time back in 18 months

stevo

Guest Tterrier81
i agree in what you are saying and ask myself ......................so why did we go........this is my 3rd time back in 18 months

stevo

only you can answer that, sounds like its time for a pro's and con's list, could you get decent enough wages in uk to justify moving back and basically starting again

Guest Tterrier81

i got the total opposite last year when i was there, i didnt like it and it helped justify and answer a few questions about why i was here, although a few month after i got back i did start to get a bit homesick

Cost of living question is an interesting one Steve - the Uk at the moment is avoiding a double dip recession by pumping more and more money into the UK. Now once it get's more secure which I hope would be in the next 2-5 years the only way to pay that money back is to increase interest rates/tax but keep wages low so the future would seem the cost of living rise quite considerably.

Guest Jo&Phil
Been asking myself this question for the past few days, i'm here in Nottingham, family member reasons, the wife is in Colchester family member reasons, asked myself last night could i live here again................i think i really could do it......FFS!!... Reasons, obviously family over here, theres something else i see, its that community feel everywhere you go, also close to Europe, countryside, villages, cities are there if required, so easy and close to other towns cities, and being so cheap.

BUT the weather would stop me, i know you acclimatise, just like i am now, two t's and a sweatshirt and warm coat, also not having my wage here.. then my kids are established in Adelaide plus a few other reasons

stevo

I think lots of us could live pretty much anywhere (within reason). Having lived in different countries/places, this has been my experience. Perhaps the questions isn't whether or not you could live anywhere but where you choose to live.

I think its perhaps natural to have those thoughts, especially if you are there for family reasons. Can pull at the heartstrings a little. Although also some of the things you say are valid, the countryside, the closeness to Europe and a few other things. And being round family can be good. But thinking about and deciding that sort of thing is always better done in the cold light of day with a clear head, away from the places and people IMHO.

Cost of living isn't cheap to me though. Not living with it every day. And its only set to rise. Fuel jumped to £1.37 this week, highest ever and it costs a small fortune to fill the car now. And we only run one these days. If I didn't need it for work and to get around to lots of places I'd do away with it totally. But living in a smaller town where a return bus ticket 5 minutes down the road costs almost £4 now, I can't do that. Hubby and I both cycle also, him to work every day, a 20 mile round trip, me to do local runs to preschool, playdates and sometimes the shops and so on. But in the pouring rain or freezing cold and with the way so many drivers treat cyclists, its dodgy at the best of times.

I love the UK for its countryside, I adore the south west (for the most part) and some other aspects of life here, but it does lack in other areas these days where it never used to. And we are not moving because we are unhappy here or want out, so I guess that helps us.

We are due a lovely freezing snap today and this coming week. Sub zero cold front is what they tell us to expect our winters here to become. This milk dry winter is unusual and not realistic apparently. So perhaps you'll find the feeling will pass :cute: Seriously I am a robust country girl type, used to being out in all weathers working on the farm and stuff. But the past few winters we had have worn even me down.

This thread has made me sit and ponder... would I?

I could go back to my old job, I still have my house in the UK, it would be lovely to be near the rest of my family.. It would be pretty easy for me to step back into my past life.

Then I think of the reasons I came here - these have not changed and I have never regretted the move.

Simply, home is where the heart is and my heart is here.

(**** summer this year though!)

edit - what I cant say ****?

how about poo summer this year though?

And summer last year....

This thread has made me sit and ponder... would I?

I could go back to my old job, I still have my house in the UK, it would be lovely to be near the rest of my family.. It would be pretty easy for me to step back into my past life.

Then I think of the reasons I came here - these have not changed and I have never regretted the move.

Simply, home is where the heart is and my heart is here.

(**** summer this year though!)

edit - what I cant say ****?

how about poo summer this year though?

Guest Guest5035
What are your wifes thoughts/feelings on this Stevo?

same as they were 21 years ago, its behind ikea, but the kids are nearly gone now, so thats kinda changed

stevo

Guest Helchops

Except that people generally don't do that...work kinda gets in the way.

The romantic image of england is so tired in reality. It's actually six day weeks of 12 hours for me and my partner with one day to try and catch up on all our lives...madness...

Trying to fit in seeing family, friends and arrange outings is impossible when you're renting out your lives to capitalism.

Guest teamV
Except that people generally don't do that...work kinda gets in the way.

The romantic image of england is so tired in reality. It's actually six day weeks of 12 hours for me and my partner with one day to try and catch up on all our lives...madness...

Trying to fit in seeing family, friends and arrange outings is impossible when you're renting out your lives to capitalism.

Well most of us do still get Sunday off and we can still afford to go to the pub.

As we have done this afternoon,after our son's 5th birthday party.

Kev.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

stevo

I think you should be forced to stay in the UK until they extent Heathrow far enough that it's behind an Ikea somewhere.

Steve, there are things to appreciate in both countries, why not get yourself into a position where you can spend part of the year in both countries. A lot of Greek and Italian migrants who have retired do this. They get the best of both worlds. I think maybe you are realising your kids are nearly gone and you will be an empty nester .... your life can take a new direction, you will be free of all those responsibilities that go with bringing up a family and it's now you-time. Wherever I go I could picture myself living there, but often it's because I have holiday money jingling in my pocket and I'm cushioned from the realities of living there by not having to deal with the everyday humdrum and bills. I think you can build a good enjoyable life wherever you are in the world, you just need a sustainable income and time to enjoy what it can bring.