£10 poms in Hallett Cove???!!!!

Guest Libby1971

Guest Libby1971

Good Morning to one and all, I hope this fair morn finds you well

Thought I'd be nice and civil before I upset the apple cart. I recently met a lady, a Pom, who has been here 3 years who was moving from Hallett Cove. Her reason?

She thought that Hallett Cove was becoming the Elizabeth of the South with all the poms that are now living there!!!! She claimed it was now Little Britain...

Now as I don't live in Hallett Cove I am no position to judge and neither do I live in Elizabeth so can't comment on that one.

But I am interested to hear other people's thoughts on this one. So being as polite as possible, please post your comments below.

Libby

Hi Libby,

Her comment actually upsets me. From the way I interpret what you have written, this women must think she is a cut above us.

Elizabeth has a reputation of being resident to people who don't wish to work and live in housing trusts. Thats laughable if she thinks the residence of Hallett Cove are like this!

There may be alot (of Poms) here in HC but for one we all own our own houses and have earned our right to be here, via the visa process.

Her attitude is very snobby in my mind and I guess she's found she doesn't fit in because of this. She's also a Pom for crying out loud!

Its so easy to live in HC and not live in the expat circle. My 2 neighbours are both aussies and I spend more time with them than I do poms.

Give me strength.......well I guess she is better off out of HC. She should go and live out in the sticks, surround herself with Kangaroos and Koalas and change her name to Sheila. Then she'll feel more naturalised I guess.:o

Judi x

Good Morning to one and all, I hope this fair morn finds you well

Thought I'd be nice and civil before I upset the apple cart. I recently met a lady, a Pom, who has been here 3 years who was moving from Hallett Cove. Her reason?

She thought that Hallett Cove was becoming the Elizabeth of the South with all the poms that are now living there!!!! She claimed it was now Little Britain...

Now as I don't live in Hallett Cove I am no position to judge and neither do I live in Elizabeth so can't comment on that one.

But I am interested to hear other people's thoughts on this one. So being as polite as possible, please post your comments below.

Libby

Wheres she moving too?.........Seaford?;)Flagstaff?,Blackwood?Golden Grove?Mawson Lakes?Woodcroft?Reynella?

Guest banjo70

I know I can't speak for everyone, but to a brit living on the coast with stunning views out of your window of wide blue skies and wider blue seas must be very tempting. It's not really possible in the UK.

By coming to Aus are we all not looking for a better life? And is not part of that (for some people) living in an area that would not be possible in the UK?

If you told people about a place like Hallett Cove back in the UK - plenty of people would bite your arm off to live their. So is it any suprise that when we get here we find it exists we want to live there?

If you want to escape Poms in Australia why not go and live in any of the other towns that are four hours drive away?

Guest Libby1971

Judi I have to say I agree with you.

I felt it was a shocking thing to say...she as a Pom went there and it was ok for her and yet not okay for other people. As I say, I was stunned.

I was also shocked at how clearly she felt she was able to judge people and express that to people she had met about 6 mins earlier. She didn't strike me as someone that was a cut above the rest nor did she come across in anyway a 'snob'.

I have to say that part of the reason I wanted to come to Aus was to get away from the judgement of others in the Uk. You know the type of stuff, where we are judged on how many hols we take and where, what car you drive, where you shop, what clothes you wear etc. No-one else I have met, and I have met a fair ole few in the almost last year I've been here, has expressed such a negative opinion.

The dream was for a moment marred by a stupid comment. :(

But then, I drove down Brighton Road and saw the view and thought,

STUFF YA YOU MEAN SPIRITED COW...MOVE AWAY AND MAKE ROOM FOR PEOPLE WHO'LL APPRECIATE IT.

Hope no-one is offended by my bluntness...

Libby

Judi I have to say I agree with you.

I have to say that part of the reason I wanted to come to Aus was to get away from the judgement of others in the Uk. You know the type of stuff, where we are judged on how many hols we take and where, what car you drive, where you shop, what clothes you wear etc. No-one else I have met, and I have met a fair ole few in the almost last year I've been here, has expressed such a negative opinion.

Exactly Libby, me too. What I like about Adelaide, is that you don't feel the need to keep up with Jones, its so layed back here, people are practically horizontal.

STUFF YA YOU MEAN SPIRITED COW...MOVE AWAY AND MAKE ROOM FOR PEOPLE WHO'LL APPRECIATE IT.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hope no-one is offended by my bluntness...

Not at all!

Out of interest what is the proportion of ex-pats to Aussies in HC? When I read on here the amount of Brits living there and a high percentage of people going through the visa process want to move there. Is it in danger of being over run with poms? :unsure:

Pete

I really don't know the answer to that question!

The thing is with Hallett Cove, its a big suburb. I use the word suburb as the houses are not built on a uniform estate like we have in the U.K. Each house has its own character about it, and has been built to each owners preference.

Its not like neighbours, where in each others houses. People keep themselves to themselves unless you make friends with those next door.

I hear British accents around the supermarket, when dropping off my son at school but I also hear lots of Aussies too. At Hallett Cove South, in Reception class, there's my son and 2 others children from the U.K, I would hardly say we run the place!

The thing is, like said in an earlier post, why not live here? Its beautiful! Most houses have sea views. There's coastal walks, a surf club cafe, conservation walks, parks, tennis clubs, seal/dolphin spotting and a beach (not much sand but looking in rock pools can be fun too!).

HC is why I left the U.k. So what if many poms see what I see in the place and choose to live here too! They got good taste! ha

To upsticks and leave HC because the poms have moved in, is a very narrow minded attitude. Its quite ironic that the Aussie's actually welcome us!

Judi x

Guest The Lengtons

Hi Libby

I quite agree with your bluntness, but we are only doing what she has already done and it was a 'pom' who made the comment and not a Aussie, she will be pleased to hear that yet another pom family will be (hopefully) moving to Hallet Cove in April, well nearly a pom family thats me and the children, OH is an aussie.

I'm curious, from somewhat of an outsiders point of view as I haven't been to Hallet Cove yet, but why do so many Brits choose that area? When I mentioned it to my husband a while back, asking where it was, as so many of you on here talked about moving there, he said something to the effect of..öh yeah, that's where all the poms move to.

Guest Libby1971

At the moment alot of poms are interested in it.

When we were about to move and when we first got here, lots of them were heading for Aberfoyle Park and Woodcroft.

It is swings and roundabouts.

Libby

Guest Libby1971

Sorry suzer.

It is swings and roundabouts means that it goes one way and then another. In this case, preferences change. People are currently talking about Hallett Cove but in a few months it could be somewhere else.

Libby

OK playing Devils advocaat here but.....

Maybe that comment made by that women simply meant she didn't move 12,000 miles to live amongst Brits.

I didn't move here to live near loads of other Brits, if I'd wanted to live amongst Brits I'd have stayed in uk and saved alot of money.

OK playing Devils advocaat here but.....

Maybe that comment made by that women simply meant she didn't move 12,000 miles to live amongst Brits.

I didn't move here to live near loads of other Brits, if I'd wanted to live amongst Brits I'd have stayed in uk and saved alot of money.

I could understand that and thought it too (as it's how I'd feel if a bunch of Yanks moved to Ridgehaven:arghh:)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Racht70

Even in there are alot of brits there so what? im sure there decent honest lovely poeple so whats the gripe? is there a handful of brits causing misery or something i just dont get why someone would move because its being overun with brits :confused:

Even in there are alot of brits there so what? im sure there decent honest lovely poeple so whats the gripe? is there a handful of brits causing misery or something i just dont get why someone would move because its being overun with brits :confused:
Dont know what the gripe is.............talking dumb if you ask me.HC is the 2nd biggest suburb in Adelaide with approx 13% Brit born( last census available). If its a big suburb you will get more in total per %. Go to some N and NE suburbs, like Golden grove...........similar figures. Brits are all over...........so are scots, welsh, Italians , Greeks

Brits are all over...........so are scots, welsh, Italians , Greeks

:unsure: and tere was me thinking the Scots and the Welsh were brits. ;):biglaugh:

You are correct about percentages though. You would expect to find more Brits in a large suburb than a smaller one. So long as the Aussies, and lets not forget they are all decendants of migrants, are happy then I don't see a problem.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Guest thekeans

I just read all of your posts on HC and was wondering where to move to and now I know!!! Its sounds wonderful!!! Need to do more research now!!:wubclub:

Clare

Look who gives a stuff, most fo you are moving to get what you cant in England. Of course you're still proud to be English etc. Ummm australian history.... Mass post war immigration by the Italians, Greeks, Balts, Eastern europeans, all looking for the same thing and yes they tended to live in the same areas, probably due to affordability and what they were seeking when they left their own countries. Again inthe 70s large numbers of Vietnamese settled here and gathered in the same areas. Now we have the Sudanese, Indians and of course the steady influx from UK. What does this mean.... a wide choice of food now available, jobs filled, children succeeding in school, booming economy. Don't listen to mealy mouthed complainers. People like that should be flattered that you have all chosen Hallett Cove or wherever, You chose to come to Adelaide, which means it offers much to new eyes. sorry end of rant.

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Horses for course I say, if you like the look of Hallett Cove buy a house here, if you don't, don't. We love it here but are only renting at the mo and would like to buy in Aberfoyle/Flagstaff/Happy Valley/Woodcroft because the kids both go to school in Aberfoyle and thats because the very helpful people at HC R-12 told us we were living the wrong side of the Lonsdale Road !!! And advised us to try Seaview, the Aberfoyle schools seem much nicer to us and the kids are getting on just great there. If the kids were in the R-12 we'd buy a house here as its wonderful.:)