Pie Floaters

jtct

Feeling brave and want to try that South Aussie favourite - a pie floater. Where's the best place to go?

Had a Balfour's Green frog last week (tasted better than it looked but a little sweet for my taste) and I need to complete my culinary homework. The pie floater is next on my list of new things to try.

There used to be a Pie van outside the railway station on Nth Terrace,and I thought (don't quote me)one also in Victoria Square!

I showed this to my hubby and he said 'it's always been there.... What it isn't there anymore?' :/ I'd guess it'd still be there. I remember pie floaters and lamingtons, though not together :P

Looks like trip to Vilis then as

"By 1915 there were only nine pie carts in Adelaide, but by 1958 only two

remained. They were Cowley's Pie Cart outside the GPO on Franklin Street, once

claimed as the oldest still existing in Australia, and the Balfour's Pie Cart,

outside the historic Railway Station.

Today, there is only one remaining,

the GPO on Franklin Street."

The green frogs (and other colours) are available at the Balfours coffee and cake stand at Westfield Marion

How about

Dampers (soda bread)

Pavlova

Anzac biscuits

TimTams (even more chocolatey than Penguins)

Aussie burgers - meat + lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickled beetroot, fried onion, bacon, and a fried egg

Cherry Ripe

Vanilla slice

Kangaroo, Emu and Camel meat

Vegemite - yuk (cheesy Vegemite is OK though at a push)

Musk sticks

Fairy Bread

Violet Crumble

Guest BackToAdelaide

Also try a couple of SA specialties - Fruchocs and kitchener buns! And if you really like the Fruchocs you can buy them by the truckload from the Menz factory shops in McLaren Vale and Glynde.

Edited by BackToAdelaide

Guest SA Great

The pie floater vans are all gone. There was one on Franklin Street in Victoria Square but the last few times I have been there it wasnt there. Villis cafe is prob the place to go although you couldnt beat eating one at the van. Another sad demise for SA!