school intake changes

Guest Guest5035

Yeah, we've been aware of this for a while now as we know some teachers in Adelaide.

Luckily our son will already be in school in reception 2013 otherwise he'd miss the cut off by 9 days!!!! As it is under the current set up he'll be one of the oldest in his year if he does the 6 terms of reception.

If we have another of course we'll be under the new intake but we'll cross that bridge and all that.

I'm not sure how I feel about the cut off being only a few months in to the term. It seems a strange cut off point when some other states appear to have settled on June or end of May or some such.

Thats what they do in the UK now and it works. My two miss out here by 2 days, its just one off those things.

The cut off is the last day in August in England. So the start of the new school year in effect. This cut off is mid school year, well, 3 months in, which I find an odd cut off point. Going from May to May for a school year starting at beginning of Feb, I can't quite get the logic and am trying to get my head round it.

I think that it will be good from the point that the youngest child (an April birthday) is going to be able to cope with the school year ahead. Starting at 4 in the UK, as many do, those with later birthdays often struggle in some areas and 4 is still a young age. I personally don't like to see my son starting school at 4 and in Aus if he started at the correct time he would only start in July 2013, the term after turning 5 and do 2 terms of reception then most likely another year of it. I actually like this approach and think it will be good for him in those early years. As it is he starts school here in the UK in Sept 2012 and has 8 months till he turns 5. Not my ideal. So yeah, the Aus start date as it stands works for us. Not sure about the new one as he'd start even later, but thankfully he'll miss this change by a year :)

Edited by snifter

The May 1st date would have been chosen as it is about the usual start of term 2. Under the current regime those kids who missed the January term 1 intake but turned 5 during Feb, March or April would have started in term 2 and had 3 terms of reception. These children will now start in January and get the full 4 terms. Those children who turned 5 later and started school in term 3 or 4 would have had 6 or 5 terms in Reception anyway. This new system means that all children will only get 4 terms in Reception. This is where the 8M is being saved. Private and catholic schools will likely set their own intakes.

The May 1st date would have been chosen as it is about the usual start of term 2. Under the current regime those kids who missed the January term 1 intake but turned 5 during Feb, March or April would have started in term 2 and had 3 terms of reception. These children will now start in January and get the full 4 terms. Those children who turned 5 later and started school in term 3 or 4 would have had 6 or 5 terms in Reception anyway. This new system means that all children will only get 4 terms in Reception. This is where the 8M is being saved. Private and catholic schools will likely set their own intakes.

That makes perfect sense with regard to where they get their savings. And in relation to the 4 terms only each as opposed to some doing 5 or 6.

:)

Guest Rachael Reeve

My 4 have always missed out in the UK because of dates. They where all 5 when they started school. I Do not think they would of wanted to be there before because they were having to much fun being kids!