Oz versus NZ

Guest deborah

Guest deborah

Just wondered if any of you considered NZ at all before deciding on OZ and what factors influenced you (apart from the weather)

I am still undecided as i like both for different reasons. Still seem drawn towards Adelaide though!

Strangely enough NZ never entered into the equation. I don't know why.:unsure: Canada was too cold in winter, really didn't fancy USA (sorry Suzer:biglaugh:), the rest of Europe didn't appeal maily due to me being lazy on learning a new language:SLEEP:so to my mind that just left Oz. Dunno what happened about New Zealand. It was like it wasn't an option. :err:

Pete

Guest louiesmum

Hi

My main reason for not choosing NZ was that although it does appear to be a beautiful country, & good for young families, I get the feeling that theres not much for the older children/young adults, sorry if I'm wrong but thats just the feeling I get from people I know that have lived/visited NZ. So therefore thinking ahead it had to be Oz for us & also the OH lived in Oz for a few yrs boefore we met & he really wanted to go back!!

Hi Deborah

It really depends on your circumstances, your job and where you live in NZ. Also the type of lifestyle you want. In some ways there are some similarities - both are pretty laid back, life tends to be based on outside activity and the beach, less crowded (NZ more so). Jobs are better paid in Oz and tax is lower which is why there is a mass exodus of young professionals over the 'ditch' from here to Oz. Driving is atrocious - kids can drive at 15 here and many dont even both with taking a test! Eating out, food in shops etc is much cheaper than uk and prob. cheaper than oz but things are going up all the time. Petrol is dearer here. You have to deal with frequent earthquakes - we had a small one last night! But the place is beautiful, people are friendly and the weather is still pretty good unless you live in the far south of the south island where it is much like Scotland. We live about an hour from Wellington - we plan to be in Adelaide at the end of 2008 even though my OH is a kiwi! Prob. go with your instinct and if Adelaide feels good then go for it!.

Mariane & Cliff.

Guest deborah

I hear that the wages are much lower as well, are they even lower than in OZ. I guess it is all relative with cost of living etc.

The way i see it is that it is close enough to go on hols and go skiing!!

Might see a hobbit or two!!

Guest deborah

Hi Mariane and Cliff,

I posted my reply before i read yours, thanks for answering my questions.

So you are moving to adelaide.

My problem is that i live in a beautiful part of the country and love dramatic scenary.

I also love horses and would love to keep my own. I hear there is equine flu in oz.

I am an Occupational therapist and NZ seem to be crying out for us although my job is on MODL for Oz so should be easy to get a job.

Hi Deborah

Well there are some very beautiful parts of the country here and the scenery is very dramatic. Some people ride their horses past our house at the weekend and when we stayed further down the coast they would exercise them on the beach first thing in the morning - it was an amazing sight. Many homes here come with much bigger sections than in Oz unless you live right in the city of course and a lot of people do keep horses. Something to consider is, if you go to Oz and have PR you can still go to NZ and work and live due to the arrangement between the two countries. If you come to nZ, unless you are a citizen or married to one, you would have to apply for residency for oz. So you could always come over to NZ later if you felt it was better for you. They are certainly crying out for people in the health service here. not sure about salaries. I know nurses have just had a huge increase here and the salaries are about the same as oz but I know doctors are not as well paid. Sorry if that confuses you even more!

Guest deborah

Hi,

that is interesting as i could always retire there when i have enough money!!

That is a great optin, best of both worlds.

I can ride in OZ just worried about all the flies as they love horses!!

Debs

I've lived in NZ now for about 8 months, and I could direct you to NZ emigration sites (mostly full of poms), as well as give you some advice. The weather is NZ is not much better than England, and the wages are crap, which are 2 very good reasons to go Oz instead. There is a reason it's harder to get into Australia;)

Hi,

Thought Id add my bit here. Im living in NZ just now so if you have any specific questions pm me. Yes the wages here are much lower than in OZ, the house prices are shocking. Superannuation virtually doesnt exist, interest rates are higher than in OZ, the choice in the supermarkets takes a bit of getting used to.............. Oh and theres no IKEA. I've heard quite a lot of people say, 'If you have money go to NZ, if you want to make money go to OZ'. I must add that NZ is truly a gorgeous country, especially the South Island.

I know some poms here, who came about the time we did and love it and would never leave, but we dont have family or anything here, so we figured if we are so far away from everyone, might as well be somewhere where we can earn a bit extra $$, pay less for our house and have more quality time as a family. I know its not gona be easy in OZ either, but we learned so much coming here that we are ready to uproot and do it all over again, soon as this house is sold!!

Gill

I've lived in NZ now for about 8 months, and I could direct you to NZ emigration sites (mostly full of poms), as well as give you some advice. The weather is NZ is not much better than England, and the wages are crap, which are 2 very good reasons to go Oz instead. There is a reason it's harder to get into Australia;)

Hi Suzer

I certainly agree with you about the wages here but I think its a bit harsh to say the weather is not much better than England - although I notice that you live in Auckland where its like Manchester on a good day! We used to live in North Shore and Ive never seen rain like it! We now live in Horowhenua and to be honest its about the same as Adelaide - maybe a bit cooler in the winter. We arent really going to Adelaide for the weather but certainly the houses in Oz make the extremes easier to cope with. Where are you living in Auckland and what made you go to NZ - isnt your OH from Oz?

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

Hi,

Thought Id add my bit here. Im living in NZ just now so if you have any specific questions pm me. Yes the wages here are much lower than in OZ, the house prices are shocking. Superannuation virtually doesnt exist, interest rates are higher than in OZ, the choice in the supermarkets takes a bit of getting used to.............. Oh and theres no IKEA. I've heard quite a lot of people say, 'If you have money go to NZ, if you want to make money go to OZ'. I must add that NZ is truly a gorgeous country, especially the South Island.

I know some poms here, who came about the time we did and love it and would never leave, but we dont have family or anything here, so we figured if we are so far away from everyone, might as well be somewhere where we can earn a bit extra $$, pay less for our house and have more quality time as a family. I know its not gona be easy in OZ either, but we learned so much coming here that we are ready to uproot and do it all over again, soon as this house is sold!!

Gill

so neighbor, where in NZ do you live?

Guest Perth Pom

Hi all

We lived in NZ for 8 years before moving to OZ 4 years ago.

In my opinion, there is no comparison. NZ is like Australia's poorer cousin. There is a lot of poverty around, the weather is pretty poor, traffic is horrendous in Auckland, and the standard of driving is worse. Housing is sub-standard, with many homes failing to meet World Health Organisation's guidelines for human habitation. Winter is freezing, and summer is not that great

It is a very expensive place to live in relation to earnings.

Oz is the place!!!!

Hi Suzer

I certainly agree with you about the wages here but I think its a bit harsh to say the weather is not much better than England - although I notice that you live in Auckland where its like Manchester on a good day! We used to live in North Shore and Ive never seen rain like it! We now live in Horowhenua and to be honest its about the same as Adelaide - maybe a bit cooler in the winter. We arent really going to Adelaide for the weather but certainly the houses in Oz make the extremes easier to cope with. Where are you living in Auckland and what made you go to NZ - isnt your OH from Oz?

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

We live in Mt Eden and yep, OH is from Adelaide. We're only in NZ so that we could stay together while my spousal visa was being processed, but I'm glad that was the case, as I've really enjoyed being here. When are you moving to Adelaide?

Suzer

Hi Suzer

We hope to be in Adelaide at the end of 2008 assuming it doesnt take too long to sell the house. We will always come back here for holidays - there are still loads of places we havent been - but NZ does seem to be stuck in a bit of a time-warp and isnt very forward looking. Its a real shame. They also need to get their transport sorted out. We were very impressed with the transport system in Adelaide. When we lived in Auckland it sometimes used to take me nearly 2 hours to get home from work! Thats worse than the uk! Bet you are both looking forward to getting back to Oz - shouldnt be long for your spouse visa.

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

Thought Id add my bit here. Im living in NZ just now so if you have any specific questions pm me. Yes the wages here are much lower than in OZ, the house prices are shocking. Superannuation virtually doesnt exist, interest rates are higher than in OZ, the choice in the supermarkets takes a bit of getting used to.............. Oh and theres no IKEA.

Gill

Well Gill, if I had any doubt it is no more. We only just got IKEA in Northern Ireland 3months ago so I am not going anywhere that doesn't have it:jiggy:

Hi Suzer

We hope to be in Adelaide at the end of 2008 assuming it doesnt take too long to sell the house. We will always come back here for holidays - there are still loads of places we havent been - but NZ does seem to be stuck in a bit of a time-warp and isnt very forward looking. Its a real shame. They also need to get their transport sorted out. We were very impressed with the transport system in Adelaide. When we lived in Auckland it sometimes used to take me nearly 2 hours to get home from work! Thats worse than the uk! Bet you are both looking forward to getting back to Oz - shouldnt be long for your spouse visa.

Cheers

Mariane and Cliff

I hope not. They have had my medical results for 3 weeks now (I'm probably repeating myself but too busy at work to look) so unless they are behind, any day. Must go for a drink when you get to Adelaide..

Suzer