Expensive trip to the cinema !!

Anne B

Went to the pictures today, at Marion. I try to go to Semaphore where it's only $8 but we needed to see 2 different films running at near enough the same time, and the times at Semaphore were no good.

I was amazed that for 1 adult, 3 children the cost was a staggering $54 !!

Intrigued I looked up the cost to see the same films at my local cinema back in England - it was £21.80 or $33.79.

That makes it 60% more expensive here. Bloomin' heck!!! I'm definately sticking to Semaphore in future! :arghh:

Guest Helchops

Grr...how can anyone compare rates? I just don't get it.

The only figure that counts is percentage of income! For example, if you're earning £20,000 in UK and $60,000 in oz, a £9 cinema ticket would be around 0.05% of annual income. In order to compare, 0.05% of AU income would be $30. That's an actual comparison.

If a shopping bill accounts for 8% of our annual income (£400 per month on £50k). In Oz it's about the same.

Although that may make the dollar amount look like, say $800, you can't then say, 'well that's £600 in the UK so that's expensive!' if you're earning $120,000 it's the same percentage of expenditure.

I have this argument with the in laws.

How do others compare the prices?

Edited by Helchops

Guest Helchops

Lol! This is why I wish the net could capture my cheeky smile! Of course I meant no offence. It was actually a post to vent about common misconceptions with relatives more than anything:

'ohh, how many dollars are bananas....'

The Semaphore is probably the cheapest that I know of if you live in that area otherwise it is a bit of a hike. I tend to use the Wallis Cinemas because I have an Ambassador Card http://www.ambassadorcard.com.au/register-now.php which I get as part of my Union membership so I don't pay extra for it and the cinema is quite close to my home. I get approximately $3-$4 off per ticket (about 3 bananas worth I reckon) and as we tend to go the cinema a fair amount then it is a better deal. The Entertainment Book http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/ also has limited vouchers for the Marion Cinemas and others. It can be expensive to go out for meals etc and I've heard that from a few people new to Aust but there are lots of different "deals" around that you can get which brings down the cost. I think that they must expect people to do that.....

Guest Barney Rubble

The only figure that counts is percentage of income! For example, if you're earning £20,000 in UK and $60,000 in oz, a £9 cinema ticket would be around 0.05% of annual income. In order to compare, 0.05% of AU income would be $30. That's an actual comparison.

If a shopping bill accounts for 8% of our annual income (£400 per month on £50k). In Oz it's about the same.

Although that may make the dollar amount look like, say $800, you can't then say, 'well that's £600 in the UK so that's expensive!' if you're earning $120,000 it's the same percentage of expenditure.

I have this argument with the in laws.

How do others compare the prices?

Love it, don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand the post :nah: but well put :notworthy:

We did the movies a few years ago (in Camberley) and it was 9 quid, hang on i havn't got a pound sign on my keyboard :huh:

Anyway, i digress, by comparison i thought it was ok, where they make a lot of money is in the sweets and lollies people buy before they go in.

Think the seats were more expensive the higher up (?) you sat but loved the idea of a bean bag right at the front, not the price though

And join Cinebuzz...it's free, you get 10 points per ticket (one per transaction obv) and 100 points equals one free ticket, hooray!!

I'm sure as students who have a student Cinebuzz card get in for $8/9 dollars anyway. I think that's all week but it might just be Mondays.

Whatever, membership of Cinebuzz is easy as you can apply on line or, I think, at the cinema. They will then send regular emails with cheap offers and info.

When we go, as I am Tightarse Cow, I take my own lollies - although I still have to buy popcorn lol. One time they spotted something which was obviously not theirs (I think the Coles wrapper might have given me away) and I was informed I was not allowed to do that. And the guy spotted it IN THE DARK! Just FYI, it was in Gold Class, I never leave any rubbish and am pretty well behaved :)

I seem to remember there was something about that on Today Tonight or A Current Affair some time ago...but I digress lol!

LC

But I don't have an income here, so I can't compare that way!! :wink:

And join Cinebuzz...it's free, you get 10 points per ticket (one per transaction obv) and 100 points equals one free ticket, hooray!!

I'm sure as students who have a student Cinebuzz card get in for $8/9 dollars anyway. I think that's all week but it might just be Mondays.

Whatever, membership of Cinebuzz is easy as you can apply on line or, I think, at the cinema. They will then send regular emails with cheap offers and info.

When we go, as I am Tightarse Cow, I take my own lollies - although I still have to buy popcorn lol. One time they spotted something which was obviously not theirs (I think the Coles wrapper might have given me away) and I was informed I was not allowed to do that. And the guy spotted it IN THE DARK! Just FYI, it was in Gold Class, I never leave any rubbish and am pretty well behaved :)

I seem to remember there was something about that on Today Tonight or A Current Affair some time ago...but I digress lol!

LC

We ALWAYS take our own lollies in! I refuse to pay the rip off prices that they charge and I don't like the cinema popcorn anyway, it makes my mouth all dry and claggy... Having said that, I took the kids to go and see The Lorax at Noarlunga on Monday and they charged me $4 for a small bottle of water!!! Now that's worthy of a grrrrrr!!!

My kids (big kids) always get frozen cokes from McDonalds and take them in there with them! Much cheaper than exactly the same stuff from the cinema kiosk. I remember when we first arrived and were staying in the city, going to see the Thunderbirds film at one of the city cinemas - it was so damn expensive, no wonder we were just about the only people in there!! That worked out at over STG50 equivalent then (nearly eight years ago and at a rate of 2.5 to the pound!)

Certainly became a rare treat after that!

Get an entertainment book and get LOADS of discounts off almost everything (not bananas though!) its only $65 (0.10% of your annual income, 40 pounds or 32 kilo of bananas!) Or go to the drive-in which is only $20 for a car with up to 5 people, which is $4 per person.

We saved over $1000 dollas with the entertainment book but that did include a trip to Gold Coast!)

Oh and you can take your own food and drink into the drive in and eat bananas while watching the film!!!

:goofy::goofy::wink:

Steve.

The Semaphore is probably the cheapest that I know of if you live in that area otherwise it is a bit of a hike. I tend to use the Wallis Cinemas because I have an Ambassador Card http://www.ambassadorcard.com.au/register-now.php which I get as part of my Union membership so I don't pay extra for it and the cinema is quite close to my home. I get approximately $3-$4 off per ticket (about 3 bananas worth I reckon) and as we tend to go the cinema a fair amount then it is a better deal. The Entertainment Book http://www.entertainmentbook.com.au/ also has limited vouchers for the Marion Cinemas and others. It can be expensive to go out for meals etc and I've heard that from a few people new to Aust but there are lots of different "deals" around that you can get which brings down the cost. I think that they must expect people to do that.....

At one point, we paid $80 for family of 4to see 3d film at Marion/Wallis. It's really more expensive here.