Cures for seasickness

Guest Damien

Guest Damien

Seems like a few recent members have sent their bad karma my way...

Last time I went out on patrol at sea I felt so seasick we had to return to shore. First time in my life I've suffered and it was horrible. Ok, I want to make it clear right now I didn't chuck (too tight for that, don't agree in waste) but I felt pretty bad and the only thing that made me feel better was to actually control the boat, all 300hp of it! Ok, the sea wasn't great, 4m+ swell, 15knot winds and we were 11NM offshore so couldn't see land but that's the norm for me.

Now, a week before I was ill for 4 days (ate a cray that didn't taste right but still couldn't resist it!). Then the night before we went out I ate 2lb of fresh mussels in white wine and cream, bloody nice but I reckon it was the bug/rich food that made me bad (and poor karma for being rude, ignorant and naive). I've worked on boats for 14 years now on the North Sea, big reservoirs and now the Southern Ocean and that's the first time I've felt crap. I even took a kwells that morning (unusual for me) coz I new it would be a bit lumpy.

So anyone got anytips on cures for seasickness. I hope I don't need them, just wondered what others do. I suppose I could ask my bosses if I could stick to Fresh water ;)

I hope I never have to shout for Ralph when out on the water :)

Damo

There are those pressure straps that you can put on your wrist that are for car sickness but don't know if they would work for sea sickness. Also, lavender oil on the inside of the wrist is meant to help with car sickness. How do i know these wonderful things as the youngest used to get travel sick in the car and that's what we did and it did seem to work. Other than that go carp fishing ;-)...................lol

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

The sea band wristband things - I used some of them for morning sickness lol! Or maybe try ginger nuts, the ginger is supposed to help!

Guest JayandEm

Ginger is good, you can get ginger tablets, i was given them by a diving instructor when i did a live aboard course and they helped

Guest Guest75
There are those pressure straps that you can put on your wrist that are for car sickness but don't know if they would work for sea sickness. Also, lavender oil on the inside of the wrist is meant to help with car sickness. How do i know these wonderful things as the youngest used to get travel sick in the car and that's what we did and it did seem to work. Other than that go carp fishing ;-)...................lol

You are going to cause so much trouble with your stirring!!!

Guest Guest75

Do you think someone has some form of Voodoo sea sickness dolls???

I was feeling queasy myself today, only a few K's out but after the rain came through so did the rolling stuff!!!

Heard Ginger works, not keen on Kwells as they blunt yer brain ( no place for a blunt brain out there).

No milk or acidic juices before departing.

Hope mine was just a blip.

Look at this stuff coming in............... Should have seen the stampede for the ramp!!!

2012-05-03-145.jpg

Guest neeks

stay off the seafood lol

i was in the navy for 5 years and took me a little while to get my sea legs in big swells,the medic gave me ginger root raw,chew on that and it helps,i hate the stuff as dont like ginger but better then boffing

Guest ladyarkles

Just call me the Dramamine Queen!

I'm a scuba diver, and love that bouncy, boaty thing.

It's easier as diver, cos you just jump in the sea and have a little float around to get the inner ear to settle down.

I have spent many a dive interval bobbing around like a demented buoy.

However, I don't suppose your shipmates will be too impressed if you keep jumping overboard cos you feel queasy.

So, you could try sitting midships, keeping your eye on the horizon and making sure your blood sugar levels are good.

Nibble on something with long-chain carbs as opposed to a quick hit of refined sugar- wholegrain nut bar thingies are ideal.

Failing that - DRUGS!

There are non-drowsy seasickness tabs out there, but you have to take them before you feel ill. They are limited in their effectiveness once you are in that state.

Maybe it is karma after all! In which case you're f....... :unsure: erm... you will have to work it off by yourself.

Rach xx

If you haven't felt seasick before it seems strange that you would change. Sounds to me like your stomach was still delicate after the illness the week before, then you might have eaten a dodgy mussel - so your constitution was weakened and this made you susceptible to feeling seasick. Next time you'll probably be fine, but with seasickness I think a lot of it is in the mind. I always feel seasick but have never actually been sick, just get a terrible headache! I had really bad morning sickness when I was pregnant and tried ginger and the pressure wrist straps and anything else that was suggested - but none of them worked!

Try and get hold of some Andrew Ettinghausen sea sick tablets. He used to suffer really badly (not good for a fishing program presenter) but he had some tablets made up by a compounding chemist, and then also sold them through his 'Escape' website. I've heard they really work.