What was your motivation for coming to Adelaide?

keldaz

Hi All, I'm sure this question has been posted before, but I'm too busy plugging in heaters, adding duvets and planning warmer clothing purchases to look. Have seen lots of posts on why people do and don't like Adelaide, and discussions on Adelaide vs UK. But what was your motivation for making the move in the first place.

I'll start the ball rolling, we came simply because we were totally sick to death of life in the UK. Work, weather, and to be honest we sat down with a pen and paper each, and said ok lets write down what we like about living in the UK. After a few minutes we both looked up and laughed, paper was still blank. All we could come up with in the end was the 3 F's, friends, family,familiarity.

Love to know your reasons, same as us? better house? sunshine?

Ps. Should add, our love of Australia was a massive motivation for coming also.

Guest Messua

We came 13 years ago. The motivations for coming were:

A happier working environment for Hubby;

A longer, happier childhood for our 3 young sons;

Cheaper cost of living (though this is no longer the case);

A warmer, dryer climate (!!!!!!!!!!!).

Edited by Messua
spelling

Our reasons were many but top three were probably (in no particular order)

1. Adventure

2. Climate

3. FReedom for our boys to be able to go out on bikes and go fishing and have a childhood more like I did 30 odd years ago in the UK.

Sarah

Edited by Kingpin

Guest pennyblack

In no real order.

A better childhood for our children, more freedom and much less worry for us.

More house for your money, open plan living although we find it quite cold when its cold if you know what I mean. Rugging up soon fix's that though.

Super beaches and open spaces, no crowds.

The chance to have a swimming pool in your garden.

detached house without paying a massive premium.

A country where working hard at school actually counts for something when you get to the work place.

Its a great Country, cant say I like everything about it but I much prefer it to England.

Edited by pennyblack
Typos.

Guest Guest75

A new challenge!

Total life style change.

To get away from the daily grindstone of a business we lived to work for.

The people here and their "say it as it is" attitude!!!

A better life for our Daughter.

The exchange rate was very right at the time of our move and really made an impact. People in the UK thought we were going bankrupt! We were just liquidating everything!

A chance to do different things and have different experiences.

Against Europe it's a clean country!!

We have a friend who married a local, we visited and were taken by Adelaide.

Everything is here but Adelaide is not overcrowded, we could not live in or near a larger city say such as Melbourne.

Fishing.........................

Edited by Guest75
Keep thinking of things.............

I'm not actually in Adelaide yet but will be flying out in July. We're moving to be close to my husbands family - he's from Adelaide but has been in the UK since 1999. Because of where we live now and where we live in Adelaide we are going to probably have a smaller house, less disposable income and work much further from where we live (I work from home at the moment and my husband works 10 minutes away).

However, the skies in Adelaide are bluer and you see more of them, the days are longer in winter and shorter in summer, there are far more parks and open spaces than here, you can park for free at the beach if you avoid places like Glenelg and I love the city and always feel at home when we're on holiday. My husband mood is strongly influence by the amount of light around so we're hoping the improved weather over there will mean being happier and more relaxed even with less money.

Guest lyn
I'm not actually in Adelaide yet but will be flying out in July. We're moving to be close to my husbands family - he's from Adelaide but has been in the UK since 1999. Because of where we live now and where we live in Adelaide we are going to probably have a smaller house, less disposable income and work much further from where we live (I work from home at the moment and my husband works 10 minutes away).

However, the skies in Adelaide are bluer and you see more of them, the days are longer in winter and shorter in summer, there are far more parks and open spaces than here, you can park for free at the beach if you avoid places like Glenelg and I love the city and always feel at home when we're on holiday. My husband mood is strongly influence by the amount of light around so we're hoping the improved weather over there will mean being happier and more relaxed even with less money.

You can park for free in Glenelg, too!!! Agree with everything else you said, btw!!

You can park for free in Glenelg, too!!! Agree with everything else you said, btw!!

This is true, but last time we spent time there we found it almost impossible to find a park anywhere near the Jetty Road area without having to pay. Love Glenelg but it does get busy.

Guest lyn
This is true, but last time we spent time there we found it almost impossible to find a park anywhere near the Jetty Road area without having to pay. Love Glenelg but it does get busy.

Hmmmm......perhaps we should rent out the spaces outside our house when it gets busy!!!

Guest ali

hmmmmm

Not there yet but my reasons for moving to Adelaide are:

-getting away from a hectic, rhetoric lifestyle

-a chance to really progress in my line of work as where I come from its almost impossible due to the fact that we are limited by on all aspects of life by the government

-to be able to do as I wish

-to live life without worrying of getting a knock on the head

Guest Barney Rubble

Fed up working 6 - 7 days a week, although it was overtime, all we got was a newer car :unsure:

Standard 6 - 8 days a year off with a cold or flu, winter and summer.

Ended up in hospital with skin problems (atopic eczma) and decided that was it, more to life than work :cute:

Played a lot of sport but got jacked off waiting for the weekend only to have the cricket or soccer rained off

Never even saw Adelaide until we arrived here in October 1988, took a while to settle but am still here.

Now been here over 20 years finds myself still with a mortgage, working 45 -50 hours a week but that is my own problem.

Two sons who have grown up into nice young men, very respectful and both people i am pround to say i know

Have a nice house, great friends, freedom to pop down to beach or drive through the hills, go to a winery.

Find it so much more relaxed, last week whilst having a coffee in town a TV presenter (no name droping) stopped and chatted with my client and it was like we all knew each other, the social barriers are there if you look for them but not so prominent as in the UK.

After all this time here we still have yet to go to the museum on North Terrace, have been to most states and like them all, just have to look in the right places.

To those who are new or on their way, your lucky, you have the internet, we were having to make do with carrier pigeons and a pound a minute to call 'home'.

As for the rest, my signature below says it all:wink:

Not getting at anyone, but I wonder if those that come to 'get away from the UK' for whatever reason, are those that after a while start to see exactly the same problems here in Australia? It really isn't utopia here - and hours are long, work is hard here, same as anywhere! Whatever your reasons, those that haven't yet got here should write them all down on a piece of paper somewhere and keep it with you so that when you have down days you can remind yourself of why you did it. Very easy to look back with rose coloured glasses sometimes...

Pleased to see some great reasons for coming to Adelaide, which is why I posted question. To make big changes to a life you were unhappy with. Was starting to form the impression a lot of people have simply come for over to live in the sun, in some kind of english speaking Costa del Sol nightmare. Have been suprised at how many seem to head back to UK having given it 'A GO' after a very short time. Read a post the other day where a lady had done just that, 'been here 3 months, given it a go, going back to UK, miss everyone too much'. We all miss people, but at 3 months she's had a long holiday.

Also having read that 50% of Poms head home eventually, was interested in peoples motivations.

Having said that as I type this 479 people have read this thread, and only 19 replies, so please add thread, curious minds need to know.

Just to add I don't HATE the UK at all. We haven't come over because we had ****e lives in London, in fact just the opposite. We came because we could. Simple as that really. May well go back one day or move somewhere else. There are a lot of positives to living in both countries. We do love the climate here though - that's not a bad thing.

1. Better climate, fed up of dark, cold long winters and wet summers

2. For the challenge and life experience it could offer

3. Because we could, both had jobs on the "wanted" list.

4. Previous experience- travelled here as a backpacker mid nineties and always wanted to return. Then visited family here in 2010 and that decided it for us.

5. Life is too short for "what if.....?"