The calm before the storm!

guspjmh

Just completed medicals last week and sent off police checks, so visa approval shouldn't be long now. It's been a mad rush getting everything done, but it feels like we are within touching distance now - just the house to sell...

I keep researching Adelaide and getting more and more excited about it, the more I see the more enthusiastic I become! My wife and I are looking at the Noarlunga or Aldinga area, as we'd like somewhere quite quiet but near a beach for the kids, anyone got any feedback on these areas?

The one nagging concern is still the job - we don't want Kate to work until the kids go to school, so I need to find work quite quickly, which is scary. I've never been unemployed completely since I was about 14, so voluntarily giving up my job and moving with no guarantees is quite terrifying! Does anyone have advice for the quickest ways to land work?

Guest Jennet
Just completed medicals last week and sent off police checks, so visa approval shouldn't be long now. It's been a mad rush getting everything done, but it feels like we are within touching distance now - just the house to sell...

I keep researching Adelaide and getting more and more excited about it, the more I see the more enthusiastic I become! My wife and I are looking at the Noarlunga or Aldinga area, as we'd like somewhere quite quiet but near a beach for the kids, anyone got any feedback on these areas?

The one nagging concern is still the job - we don't want Kate to work until the kids go to school, so I need to find work quite quickly, which is scary. I've never been unemployed completely since I was about 14, so voluntarily giving up my job and moving with no guarantees is quite terrifying! Does anyone have advice for the quickest ways to land work?

you sound so much like us, my husband has always worked from a young age, and we like the south also looking at aldinga, what work do you do?? we fly out 3rd july

I work in pharmaceutical sales and my wife's a teacher, although she doesn't want to work until the kids go to school (they are one is 8 months and the other is 2 years and a day older!)

What about you guys - what do you do? We aren't looking to move until January, just because of selling the house etc.

Guest philb

hi

we have our meds next tuesday and police checks have been sent off, were in the same boat i have worked since i was 16 and run my company for the past 12 years so giving up my work to move in april next year its quite scary to think i will be out of work, we are looking at port noarlunga, hopefully wont be long for the visa.,

phil

hi

we have our meds next tuesday and police checks have been sent off, were in the same boat i have worked since i was 16 and run my company for the past 12 years so giving up my work to move in april next year its quite scary to think i will be out of work, we are looking at port noarlunga, hopefully wont be long for the visa.,

phil

When are you looking at moving out there? What line of work are you in - it must be a wrench to give up your business?

Guest guest8040

We're at the same point too with the same huge worry about work. I work in the voluntary sector at a management level and my husband is a bit of jack of all trades, sales, admin, youth work. Employment is a worry as is working hours and childcare seeing as we won't have my mam on hand. It really takes a lot of bottle to do this and I'm wobbling with worry!

Guest Jennet
I work in pharmaceutical sales and my wife's a teacher, although she doesn't want to work until the kids go to school (they are one is 8 months and the other is 2 years and a day older!)

What about you guys - what do you do? We aren't looking to move until January, just because of selling the house etc.

hi

i think from my knowledge you may be ok for work from your professionalism, my husband is a qualified bricklayer, plasterer etc he also has his HGV but will have to do that again in OZ as its driving, i'm a college lecturer but from the sounds of teaching i'm not too sure about it in OZ sounds a pain to get work you have so many hurdles to get through first. I need to suss that out when i'm out there and see how i feel. January will be here before you know it.

hope to see you in 2013

jennet

hi

i think from my knowledge you may be ok for work from your professionalism, my husband is a qualified bricklayer, plasterer etc he also has his HGV but will have to do that again in OZ as its driving, i'm a college lecturer but from the sounds of teaching i'm not too sure about it in OZ sounds a pain to get work you have so many hurdles to get through first. I need to suss that out when i'm out there and see how i feel. January will be here before you know it.

hope to see you in 2013

jennet

Good luck with everything! Try to keep posting when you get out there, would be great to hear how things are going.

Hi Angus/Kate

My hubby has the exact same worries but is pragmatic and believes that you have to back yourself to get work...I work full time in the UK and hope to find similar work when we get there. As a people manager or analyst in a call centre I am sure there will be plenty of work, I have been with HSBC for 15 years so have not yet ruled out a internal trf.

My OH is registered to teach in NZ meaning that he can apply to register before we get to oz and then he just needs to complete the two courses before joining with supply agents nd trawling schools and putting his face about. He has lots of experience and is currently head of key stage two so we trust that he will get work in time...until then my earning capacity in oz is more than UK and we have savings to tide us over.

We are going in March to give us plenty of time to sell house and we don't want to arrive in jan as its the middle of the OZ school hol and we don't want to take our kids out of a uk winter straight into an Adelaide summer..arriving at Easter means that they have three full seasons to prep their skin etc..

I am sure the anxiety is perfectly normal but in a year or two it will feel like home and the uk will be the stranger to u.

Good luck if u get out there before us...

Anna

Hi Angus/Kate

My hubby has the exact same worries but is pragmatic and believes that you have to back yourself to get work...I work full time in the UK and hope to find similar work when we get there. As a people manager or analyst in a call centre I am sure there will be plenty of work, I have been with HSBC for 15 years so have not yet ruled out a internal trf.

My OH is registered to teach in NZ meaning that he can apply to register before we get to oz and then he just needs to complete the two courses before joining with supply agents nd trawling schools and putting his face about. He has lots of experience and is currently head of key stage two so we trust that he will get work in time...until then my earning capacity in oz is more than UK and we have savings to tide us over.

We are going in March to give us plenty of time to sell house and we don't want to arrive in jan as its the middle of the OZ school hol and we don't want to take our kids out of a uk winter straight into an Adelaide summer..arriving at Easter means that they have three full seasons to prep their skin etc..

I am sure the anxiety is perfectly normal but in a year or two it will feel like home and the uk will be the stranger to u.

Good luck if u get out there before us...

Anna

Thanks! I'm sure you guys will be fine, I just need to keep telling myself that the pharma industry here is more competitive than out there and I've managed to land jobs here ok. Still, it's the fear of using up my savings that worries me!

Guest ali

Hi Gus,

I sent my PC this week and most probably will be doing my Medicals tomorrow. Good luck buddy with everything:smile:

Regarding finding a job, remember the thread I started on this? I've been very busy sending out CV's and even though I'm not there yet I've got some feedback from potential employers. One even asked me to go for an interview in her office last week! I had to point out that I yet had to get the visa and make the move. But she's offered to meet with me regardless and has asked me to contact her whenever I arrive.

The way I see it you have to send out CV's even though you're not there yet and an opportunity might pop up. Once you're in Adelaide if you've got some firm offers go with them and if not get signed up with head hunters and recruitment agencies. Work will come buddy. Just do what you're doing:smile:

Cheers