First time driving in dark and rain since arrival.

keldaz

Had my first time driving in the dark and rain here since we arrived. As I was driving along dreaming of cats eyes and road markings, I couldn't help but wish I'd actually bothered to replace the worn wipers on the car. Rather than clearing the screen they were just kind of redistributing water droplets in an unhelpful smear. Straight into SCA for new wipers this morning, but had to join a queue for the little wiper guide book. I was glad to see I was not the only lazy twit in Adelaide.

How do you all find driving in the dark and rain here? I would say roads are very poorly marked here.

And before any of you clever people suggest specs purchase, I've got some, I've just put them down somewhere, but need them to find them, if you see what I mean.:wacko:

Guest ReadyPenny

I find it hard too in the dark never mind the rain!!! As lots of roads are unlit and I live in the hills I am ofter blinded by oncoming vehicles lights, even when not on full beam!! Hate these short days at the mo, I'm driving home in the dark and it's toooooooo hard!!!! LOL My windscreen wipers work though, much better than my eyes in fact!

Great, I'm not the only scare de cat out there. My other half hates it more than I do. Although thinking about it, if I get the lights fixed that'd help too!!. Don't worry road safety campainers that last comment was a joke. I really can't be bothered to fix lights lol.

The roads are not well engineered when it comes to foul weather, agree on that for sure. I have no idea why, perhaps it's because the weather here is generally quite benign. But sad to say that unfortunately people don't adjust their driving habits when it's wet. The most dangerous time is when rain starts, the road surfaces are covered in oil, grease, rubber and what have you and are a bit like black ice for a while. It's time to drive much more slowly then, but the message doesn't seem to get heeded. Oh and using lights is a very good idea, again, there are some of us who don't think to do so.

Drove home along Grand Junction Road last night, and found the hardest thing in the rain is not being able to see where the lane markings are! Stuck to the inside lane (and 50!) as at least then I could follow the kerb!! Not fun...

When it rains during the day, it's amazing how many people don't realise that a grey or silver car with no lights on is more or less invisible - especially in a rain spattered mirror...I've been working on a universal signal for "put your bloody lights on you idiot", but not refined it properly yet

No worries here. Isn't really that much harder than driving on the day just requires more concentration. I'm from the country in the uk so used to no road markings.

Easy, quite happy to drive in the dark and rain. Just gotta avoid everyone else.

Guest smit

I know its changed and they are working up there, but I found the worse bit of road was heading north on south road between regency road and grand junction I think its ( north of smiths crisps). About 75 yds short of the junction the road kinked to create 4 lanes. When it was peeing down you couldnt see the white lines, so I went straight on .....doh!!!!.

And Scooter and anyone else, not the same as driving in UK, White lines in UK used to stand up from the road so you could see them in the water....not here

Guest Guest5035
DRiving in the rain anywhere is the same...take more time,care and slow down a little!!! Don't see much difference!!

yep its that simple ..

stevo

And Scooter and anyone else, not the same as driving in UK, White lines in UK used to stand up from the road so you could see them in the water....not here

You don't need white lines, they're only a guide anyhow. But I suppose some people rely on them, and they are the people that can't drive in snow as they don't have anything to drive along.

I don't think the ozzies actually pay attention to the lines in the dry anyway.

Just driven back from Clare today - luckily we didn't have any rain yesterday, just the strong winds and so only had to cope with it in daylight hours today. Driving standards from Gawler south was dreadful, cars were travelling far too close and fast and spraying huge cutains of water as they rushed past (we were only a couple of Kms under the speed limit in torrential rain with our lights on)

Guest smit
If you drive by following the white lines.... more lessons are needed.... they are just to divide the lanes.
Dont quite see what you are saying. White lines are are there just to divide the lanes and if you drive between them you need lessons!!!!!!...........

Guest USA soon just SA

man, now I am getting even more worried. Dark AND rain, that might just be the end of us. Coming from the US, we are already going to be fighting to keep the car on the "right" side of the road. Like another member has recomended, we had better just stick to daytime driving (or driving when plenty of other traffic is around to follow) until driving on the left side of the road becomes more natural. The good news is that I hear the police are very lenient and understanding about even significant driving infractions, so that will help until we get the hang of it, right?????????

PS, buying our tickets this weekend. october 20 is the date. looking froward to finally meeting some of you guys in person before the year is out.

Guest Woody and Jane

I agree that driving in heavy rain, day or night, can be quite scary here. The white lines just disappear, which on a straight two lane road isn’t too much of a problem but throw in a bend or kink here and there and it’s easy to lose your lane, especially if you’re in the middle lane.

I also find that old road markings that have been painted over in black often stand out more than the white lines in the rain or when the ground is still wet and the sun’s out. I’ve seen drivers accidentally change lanes numerous times as they are trying their hardest to follow their lane markings. Grand Junction Road I’m talking about you.

Ditto about not noticing there were no cats eyes until I read this post.

Guest Guest5035

There are cats eyes on our roads..........................i saw two pairs today...............both cats were dead though...

Stevo

man, now I am getting even more worried. Dark AND rain, that might just be the end of us. Coming from the US, we are already going to be fighting to keep the car on the "right" side of the road. Like another member has recomended, we had better just stick to daytime driving (or driving when plenty of other traffic is around to follow) until driving on the left side of the road becomes more natural. The good news is that I hear the police are very lenient and understanding about even significant driving infractions, so that will help until we get the hang of it, right?????????

PS, buying our tickets this weekend. october 20 is the date. looking froward to finally meeting some of you guys in person before the year is out.

I wish I could guarantee leniency or at least a bit of commonsense and discretion from the police but it really depends on the individual and the alleged breach. I think it would be safe to say that the more serious the breach the more likely you are to get an infringement notice. For something minor or technical you may get a caution, but I wouldn't bet on it. Be careful about red lights. In some States in the US I know you can make a right (which would be "make a left" in South Australia) at a red light provided traffic is clear. This is likely to get you very fast police attention or (worse) a totally unforgiving red light camera. You may be able to explain to the officer that it's legal where you come from and you've only been here for fifteen minutes but many police officers here are not aware of such a rule in the US. To make it worse I believe that it is able to be done in some Australian states but it is not legal in South Australia to do so. Anyway, to sum up, sad to say but discretion is very limited for police these days, so please don't bank on getting a caution.

Guest Guest5035
Be careful about red lights. In some States in the US I know you can make a right (which would be "make a left" in South Australia) at a red light provided traffic is clear. QUOTE]

In SA you can turn left at traffic lights with as the sign says "with caution", its not a left left but via the slip road, so its legal. When in Victoria you can't turn right at traffic lights the same as you do in SA, you have to pull over to the left, sounds confusing, but you'll get used to it.

stevo

stevo

I just need to clarify a bit. In the US in some states it is legal to make a right turn on a red light provided it's safe to do so. This is not at a slip road, it's at an intersection or junction that is controlled by lights. In SA you can make a left through a slip road where you see the sign, that's true. What I was concerned about was that the inquirer should know that there is no left turn allowed through a red light where there is no slip road - the analogous situation being a right at a red light in some states in the US.

Those turns in Victoria are only in Melbourne from memory and are meant to remove the obstruction to trams using the centre of the road. You will a diagram which shows which intersections require these "hook" turns. You actually drive into the intersection on the left lane and then wait in front of the traffic at the red light on the left. You need to have your steering wheel turned right and when you get the sign then boot it before the stationary vehicles waiting on your left get started. This is when you fervently hope the car doesn't stall! Yes, you do get used to them quite quickly and it's actually good fun doing it :biggrin: