British Tuck shop Glenelg???????

keldaz

A while ago a little birdie told me there was a shop that sells British tucker. I'm sure they said in Glenelg. Little *** bits of grub is all we're missing from UK, so if you know please tell. On the food subject other expats have said 'take up all invitations', so when we we're invited out into city by OH's workmates we were excited. But what did they choose b*$"*y sushi. Sucking on a fish head is not our idea of fun, I just want good old pie and chips. Help!!!!!!!!

I don't think the Lolly Shop in Glenelg has anything much other than lollies, chips and packs of biscuits but they are near Blase on the bottom, right hand side of Jetty Road when you look towards the beach.

There seem to be heaps of shops selling bits and pieces of UK food but if all you are missing is pie and hot chips I'm sure you will be right. SA has fab pies or maybe try a pie floater perhaps, to combine what you know with what you don't?

:wubclub: LC

Guest ladyarkles

The lolly shop has Branston Pickle, Marmite, Paxo Stuffing and other such bits and bobs.

All at extremely high prices!

Check out BritishCornerShop.co.uk for stuff you can import, but again they are expensive.

~ Rach xx

There's a stall at West lakes mall, near the Boost Juice on the way to K Mart which has some British lollies and food, got a packet of Harry Ramsdens chip shop curry sauce mix there a few months ago but haven't seen it since. Can also get Paxo, fig rolls etc.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I guess it's all down to the individual, we've just found that most of the food we used to eat just isn't here. We know we are to blame to a large extent as we are fussy as you like when it comes to eating. As we've said from our arrival, we've gained major improvements to our lives, but lost the little things. Food is just fuel, we'll live.

Guest salisbury massive

Why not give us a list of what you are missing and we can tell you where to get it if its available. We've all been through the missing food sydrome. Even after 7 years I still get pangs for jammy dodgers & topics.

Oh well, it was worth a try. I guess it's all down to the individual, we've just found that most of the food we used to eat just isn't here. We know we are to blame to a large extent as we are fussy as you like when it comes to eating. As we've said from our arrival, we've gained major improvements to our lives, but lost the little things. Food is just fuel, we'll live.

I know exactly what you mean. I long for decent pie and chips, Carling, Chinese and Indian food (British-style if you know what I mean) etc. Probably why I came back about a stone heavier than I went last time I visited the UK!

Why not give us a list of what you are missing and we can tell you where to get it if its available. We've all been through the missing food sydrome. Even after 7 years I still get pangs for jammy dodgers & topics.

They sell Topics in the Hallett Cove foodland for about $1.50. There are quite a few bits of UK confectionery in there now. Also Coles at Marion often has a few things.

Escaping Pie and chips is another bonus to moving to Australia if you ask me - yuk! Not that I'm into sushi particularly but you can really find some fantastic places to eat here if you are open to new experiences. We don't get to go out that often, but when we do I like it to be something I can't make myself at home rather than just someone else cooking the same old same old. Just my 2 cents anyway...!

Guest Tterrier81
I know exactly what you mean. I long for decent pie and chips, Carling, Chinese and Indian food (British-style if you know what I mean) etc. Probably why I came back about a stone heavier than I went last time I visited the UK!

had a chicken bhuna, pilau rice and garlic naan the size of a small country last saturday night, washed it down wi a few carling, best curry i had since i left england 8 years ago, shame its in brisbane lol http://www.thespiceavenue.com.au/ check it out if ur ever up this way

Hi thanks guys, you know you just can't help some people. We've managed to find UK confectionary ok, but I dought anyone can tell me where to find Tesco fruit and fibre cereal, ready brek chocolate porridge of ginsters sausage rolls. Eating out wise OH always wants pasta, which I hate, and if I suggest curry OH starts to wretch. Haven't bothered eating out in evenings since we've been here, due to cashflo and billy no mates situation lol.

Are you honestly trying to say you can't find a decent pie or sausage roll anywhere? Try Villi's in Mile End or one of the many deli's you find on any street.

If you're talking about pork pies that we used to get back home then yeah they aren't very common but you can even buy those in some supermarkets.

We all miss certain English foods and I'm gonna really enjoy certain things when I go back in 2 weeks but one of the things that was great about coming here for me was the variety of new foods available. My diet is so much more varied here compared to the standard fare us brits are used to.

Guest ladyarkles

On the sausage roll front; make your own.

I do and they are far more familiar tasting than the shop ones over here.

You need puff pastry sheets, pork sausage meat, bread crumbs, onion, sage - all available in most supermarkets.

Can't help with the breakfast cereals tho! lol

Rach xx

had a chicken bhuna, pilau rice and garlic naan the size of a small country last saturday night, washed it down wi a few carling, best curry i had since i left england 8 years ago, shame its in brisbane lol http://www.thespiceavenue.com.au/ check it out if ur ever up this way

I was all excited then until I got to the Brisbane bit! :realmad:

Oh, and I never intended to get involved in the Great Pie Debate of 2012, but simply don't rate the ones here (have eaten at Cafe Villi's but all his pies taste the same to me, although his chips are better than most places.) Sausage rolls here are simply dreadful ...

I'm off to hide under the desk - someone let me know when the dust settles!

Jim

Northern Mick- no we have found sausage rolls from bakers to be very nice. When it comes to supermarket pastries, we just can't bare the thought of all those poor pussy cats being forced to vomit in pie crusts over and over lol. Variety of new foods??

Jim and Adel- I'm with you on the pie front, obviously I eat other stuff, roast dinners, salads, jacket spuds, good old fish & chips, proper food.

ladylarkes- Its a lovely post by you above, main problem is thus, hungry, open big gob, chuck in nearest most convenient food item, typical modern Brit I guess. Very very lazy when it comes to food prep. Yes yes, I need a slap.

Got to agree with you the sausage rolls are dreadful here and most of the pies dont care who's they are are just full of a thick gravy as little meat as possible in them.And as for cornish pasties there a joke.

I was all excited then until I got to the Brisbane bit! :realmad:

Oh, and I never intended to get involved in the Great Pie Debate of 2012, but simply don't rate the ones here (have eaten at Cafe Villi's but all his pies taste the same to me, although his chips are better than most places.) Sausage rolls here are simply dreadful ...

I'm off to hide under the desk - someone let me know when the dust settles!

Jim

totally agree with Jim, the sausage rolls here are downright vile; and the "cornish" pasties are hideous!!

Have found Coles do some english stuff, but you pay heaps;

Foodland have the best mushy peas........and i do love my mushy peas!!

Best curry house i have found is a dodgy looking place on Greenhill Road, right up by the Feathers Hotel; Burnside Curry House....real honest to goodness tikka massala! Proper naan bread too; bliss.

Keldaz, i know what you mean, bit of a billy no mates myself.......aint it sad?

I can tell you that the big lolly shop just off Rundal Mall, and the same company at Tea Tree Plaza sell readybrek in a variety of flavours; also angel delight, ambrosia rice pudding, pop tarts, prawn cocktail crisps.........all a bit pricey, but worth it for a treat now and again!!

Best eating out i have had is the KENSINGTON Hotel, bit pricey, but golly the food is great!!

totally agree with Jim, the sausage rolls here are downright vile; and the "cornish" pasties are hideous!!

Have found Coles do some english stuff, but you pay heaps;

Foodland have the best mushy peas........and i do love my mushy peas!!

Best curry house i have found is a dodgy looking place on Greenhill Road, right up by the Feathers Hotel; Burnside Curry House....real honest to goodness tikka massala! Proper naan bread too; bliss.

Keldaz, i know what you mean, bit of a billy no mates myself.......aint it sad?

I can tell you that the big lolly shop just off Rundal Mall, and the same company at Tea Tree Plaza sell readybrek in a variety of flavours; also angel delight, ambrosia rice pudding, pop tarts, prawn cocktail crisps.........all a bit pricey, but worth it for a treat now and again!!

Best eating out i have had is the KENSINGTON Hotel, bit pricey, but golly the food is great!!

Big lolly shop here I come!! Please sell chocy porridge, Please sell chocy porridge, Please sell chocy porridge, yum yum yum, cold so cold, need chocy porridge, sorry got a bit carried away there. Chocy porridge is what I call chocolate ready brek. I will eat all flavours though, if anyone is in the shop as I arrive, don't get in between me and ready brek shelf, rabid vicious animal just doesn't cover my need lol. Scousemouse, whether your male or female, know that I love you.

Keldaz,

I am most definitely a girl; if you have any problems getting hold of the readybrek, i am off to the plaza on saturday.......

will pick some up for you, if you want!

Getting meself some blackjacks,..........and angel delight; oh god yes, angel delight!!!!

It's interesting to read what people miss about the homeland; if anyone is going back soon, for a visit PLEASE bring me some Thorntons toffees.......finished the box i brought back, and oh how i would love to have not been such a piglet!!

Regards

Jane

It's interesting to read what people miss about the homeland; if anyone is going back soon, for a visit PLEASE bring me some Thorntons toffees.......finished the box i brought back, and oh how i would love to have not been such a piglet!!

Sure I saw some Thorntons in the lolly shop on the street with the antique shops in Strathalbyn. Next time I'm around there I'll check and if they do I'll get some and pm you.

Jim