House selling - encouraging start!

guspjmh

Well, with the Visa's in the bag we put the house on the market last Tuesday. We've just had the 3rd viewing, which isn't bad considering this is only the 5th working day in that time. I'm just hopeful we get an offer from these viewings!

The fact we are getting a number of viewings so quickly has given me optimism that we can sell quickly and put in place the next phase - planning the move itself!

Edited by guspjmh

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gus,

Don't want to wee on your fireworks as they say but we had about 4 viewings in 2 weeks and not an offer.

We have had nothing for the last 8 weeks until today when the estate agent rang asking if someone could come on view this Saturday - this is one viewing even when we have reduced by £13,000.

I really do hope you have more luck and that you get an offer in the next few days or so.

keep us informed

Gus,

Don't want to wee on your fireworks as they say but we had about 4 viewings in 2 weeks and not an offer.

We have had nothing for the last 8 weeks until today when the estate agent rang asking if someone could come on view this Saturday - this is one viewing even when we have reduced by £13,000.

I really do hope you have more luck and that you get an offer in the next few days or so.

keep us informed

That isn't what I wanted to hear - I'll just keep my fingers crossed for us both!

Guest guest8040

Our photos being done today - why I thought that would be a good idea when the kids are off school and have a friend coming to play for 4 hours before! We had a number of agents round and they all said your first 6 weeks are the best chance of selling in this market - no pressure then! Plus when it first Gordon I bet you get a % of nosey gets who don't have a life and just like looking round other people's homes.

Guest guest8040

Just reread my post Gordon should read goes on! Lol! And Gus as a technophobe I would have no idea what to do to link to Twitter etc haha!

Well, with the Visa's in the bag we put the house on the market last Tuesday. We've just had the 3rd viewing, which isn't bad considering this is only the 5th working day in that time. I'm just hopeful we get an offer from these viewings!

The fact we are getting a number of viewings so quickly has given me optimism that we can sell quickly and put in place the next phase - planning the move itself!

I am in the same boat, house went on the market last Wed.

First viewers last Friday and some booked for next week. I am very pessimistic as the market in Northern Ireland is really bad, prices still falling. Since the crash prices here are back to 2005 rates at least 33-40% down, I just "lucky" that I am not YET in negative equity. The only houses selling are new first time buyers homes. Average selling time 450days!!!!

Fridays viewers liked the house, but as yet, I have had no feedback. From my previous experiences, its the ones that come in look around for 10minutes and say nothing that are usually the buyers.

Please forgive Me - Mr Grumpy.

PS anyone on PIO moving back to Mid Ulster?

Guest guest8040

Irishstew you're so right the ones that ooh and aah and tell you they're going to put an offer in in the morning never do! Dreading it in a way having people trooping round our house especially the cheeky ones too that just say what they think (negative) to your face!

Guest morgans

We are in the same situation as yourself...although not as may viewings (just outside of Bridgend). Where are you planning on moving to? As soon as we sell we are also planning on leaving for Adelaide. Feels like we are in limbo now as so much is outside of our control now. I see that you are a pharma sales rep. Do you work for GE? I used to work for them on the old Amersham site.

We are in the same situation as yourself...although not as may viewings (just outside of Bridgend). Where are you planning on moving to? As soon as we sell we are also planning on leaving for Adelaide. Feels like we are in limbo now as so much is outside of our control now. I see that you are a pharma sales rep. Do you work for GE? I used to work for them on the old Amersham site.

Hi! No, not GE - work for another big pharma company who don't have local offices so I work from home. I'm hoping to move to Noarlunga/Seaford Rise/Moana, although I may change my mind again! Where in Bridgend are you? How long have you had the house on the market? Hopefully we'll have some luck soon!

Guest morgans

Sorry last post went before I finished. We are a family of 6 - two grown up girls and 2 younger boys. I know its a bit sad - but now it is all getting very real we are starting to think about the financial implications when we finally get to retire. Have you used a financial advisor who is clued up on pensions/ tax implications etc? There seem to be quite a few advertised in WDU mag - but would prefer to have a recommendation.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pleasantly surprised that I am able to report that we have accepted an offer. 3 weeks five viewings. The purchaser has his mortgage in place, no house to sell, they are ready to go. Could all happen quickly in the end. Their first offer was a bit low, we didn't refuse it as such, but told them it was ridiculously low and we would wait to see what the other viewers were offering. They then increased it by 10k which was exactly what we hoped for. We are now expecting the deposit to be paid today/tomorrow. Hopefully all the legals will go through without hassle!!!

This certainly is quick in the current market here in NI, so my family is in shock, I think the parents etc had hoped it would take a long time and that eventually we would drop it the whole idea.

IrishStew (OH)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest8040

3 weeks on the market and only 2 viewings - I'm joining all you who have been in this position much longer....thankfully I was expecting it to be like this so am not too disappointed yet! Few mints down the line and I reckon we'll be planning a reccie instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've been on the market now for around 7 weeks, and while the rightmove stats are good (well above branch average in every area), we haven't had a viewing for over 4 weeks.

My friend is the estate agent and he is assuring me that it's just a lull across the board currently, but it is getting me down that we aren't having any encouragement. Our house is in an extremely desirable area, with nice schools - so I kind of expecting the early glut of viewings would continue...

I really want to make the move early next year, as a reccie will be extremely expensive for the 4 of us!

Cheers Gus. With members like its just much easier to be cheerful:smile:

I'm doing OK. Not working anymore and packing my things to stay with my parents for a month or two on a Southern island in the Persian Gulf. Will be getting my drivers license over there and saying goodbye. Looks like I'll be on the move a bit later than I thought though. I'm hoping to make the move some time around September. On my way to Adelaide might stop for a week in Bangkok as some of my friends keep telling me that I 'should' stay with them at least for a week prior to moving to Adelaide. Still no real job offer, but I'm confident that I'll manage to get one as the number of replies I'm getting these days has become very encouraging.

How are you guys? Soon we will laugh it all over with a beer in probably sunny Adelaide.:smile:

Guest jones1541

Hi Gus

Hope the viewing went well, our house went on the market about three weeks ago - few viewings but no offer! Were planning to move next year and i was just looking at your visa start date and the date it was approved, can I be cheeky and ask how you got it done that quickly?:smile:

Claire