Council House Cold

keldaz

This recent weather change has taken us on a trip down memory lane. OH said she hasn't felt cold like this inside a house since she was growing up as a kid in a council house. I'm just a council house kid myself, so I know exactly what she means. The houses used to have no heating what so ever upstairs, the bedrooms were freezing, lying in bed you could see your breath and ice used to form on the inside of the windows. For anybody who has been watching Australia's got talent, you know the quick change act, can't think of their name, well they are slow compared to me getting dressed for school during 70's and 80's. OH said she's not really getting the no central heating thing here. We used the aircon maybe 10 times during the summer when we really needed it, a few more times just for comfort, we've said scrap that and get radiators and double glazing in. As as to the last 2 mornings, frost really, frost are you serious? We really don't get the no heating thing, oh sorry I mean the crap heating thing. Has the weather changed here as well?

Cold in Aus!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

It's coming. The Australians are waking up to the fact double glazing and proper heating will improve their lives no end. I am specifying double glazing to 60% of builds now and underfloor heating is getting popular. Radiators are old hat and inefficient, the only reason they are common in the UK is they are cheap.

Change is a'coming.

Remember, Australia prides itself in being 20 years behind the modern world.

Keep your eyes peeled for competitive supermarkets, coming to a suburb near you in the next 10-15 years.

I certainly know what you mean about cold UK days. My dad had an outdoor job and because he worked outside he hated having the heating on inside and loved the fresh air. So we would have all the windows open in the middle of winter. When I was at school my friend used to come round to our house and say "polar bears could live here" ha ha.

We have got reverse cycle heating and cooling which is great, cool in summer and toasty warm in winter (we have got it on now). It is much better than radiators on the walls taking up all the space. We have been here 5 years and one year we were here it was super cold, we had the heating on, our gas fire on and our wood burner on!!! My partner always says that how cold it gets is the one thing that surprised him about life in Adelaide. Mind you when we tell friends and relatives in the UK that it is 10 degrees and we are freezing they just laugh at us now!

I would certainly say when you are looking to buy/rent a house make sure that it has a good heating/cooling system in the house and all over the house.

We have also insulated our windows and doors because they are so thin over here and all the cold air gets in. We also have secondary glazing on some of our windows which helps.

Guest Barney Rubble

agreed, the last few mornings have been really chilly. My ride this morning to glenelg and back my face was numb before I got to Holden hill !

We were here 20 years before we succumbed to ducted gas heating, must be an age thing

Guest Dazzlin

We've only been here for a month but I can't see what all the fuss is about. However, I suspect you have to sweat your way through an Adelaide summer before you start to feel the cold in the winter, which doesn't bode well for the future!

This recent weather change has taken us on a trip down memory lane. OH said she hasn't felt cold like this inside a house since she was growing up as a kid in a council house. I'm just a council house kid myself, so I know exactly what she means. The houses used to have no heating what so ever upstairs, the bedrooms were freezing, lying in bed you could see your breath and ice used to form on the inside of the windows.....

I think many homes going back 30-40 plus years didn't have CH as standard. I know ours didn't and neither did many of my friends. One fire in the sitting room and the odd heater or 2 bar electric fire if you were lucky. I don't think it was exclusive to council houses :tongue:

TBH I think we rely on it too much now in the UK. People expect to sit in tee shirts indoors all year round so whack the heating up to 22C rather than keeping it on 18C and putting a couple of extra layers on. Breeding ground for bugs and stuff and also not great to sit in stuffy hot houses all winter.

We lived for a few years recently in a cottage that only had a wood burner and a Rayburn stove. The upstairs was cold at night but tbh the wood burner heated the downstairs lovely. Just needed to get going. We now live in a house with central heating (first one in over a decade for me lol) and we keep the heating to a minimum in winter and wear layers.

Aus does get cold in winter at times. My hubby can remember years where they had frosts as he was growing up. Not many but he said they did have them.

Living in England I would set the timer to put the central heating on long before we had to wake up so we never woke to a cold house. Luckily our r/c a/c here has a timer on it, but the first house we rented didn't have a timer and there was that awful feeling of having to get out of bed in a freezing cold house to switch it on. I hadn't felt that cold since my student days, living in a Victorian terrace house in Leamington Spa, when all you had was a gas fire in your room and the towels in the bathroom would be frozen stiff with the cold some mornings! When we eventually buy a wood burner is an absolute must-have.

Guest Barney Rubble
We've only been here for a month but I can't see what all the fuss is about. However, I suspect you have to sweat your way through an Adelaide summer before you start to feel the cold in the winter, which doesn't bode well for the future!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm i'll remind you of this post in 20 years time :biglaugh:

It just goes to show when you view a house to buy or even rent, you really should take a check list with you. Our rental only has 1 r/c aircon unit, which is in the lounge. If you close lounge door it works well enough, but rest of unit is an icebox. OH has already said we need to move on and find somewhere with more heaters, she hates the cold and is not a happy bunny, not a happy bunny at all. I was expecting her to struggle with the heat, but 40 degrees she breezed it. When living in UK we used to have central heating as high as it would go, and wander round in t-shirts. Due to the timing of our arrival in Aus we haven't seen any kind of winter weather for 12 months, when we skype relatives in UK there's little sympathy for 'it was only flipping 15 degrees here today'.

We hate the cold so much we moved to the other side of the world :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Ps. snifter, have been thinking of adding a silly user pic to our profile, I thought I know how about Beaker, best muppet ever. Then you appeared, so thank you, now not only am I cold, I'm Beakerless :realmad:

This recent weather change has taken us on a trip down memory lane. OH said she hasn't felt cold like this inside a house since she was growing up as a kid in a council house. I'm just a council house kid myself, so I know exactly what she means. The houses used to have no heating what so ever upstairs, the bedrooms were freezing, lying in bed you could see your breath and ice used to form on the inside of the windows. For anybody who has been watching Australia's got talent, you know the quick change act, can't think of their name, well they are slow compared to me getting dressed for school during 70's and 80's. OH said she's not really getting the no central heating thing here. We used the aircon maybe 10 times during the summer when we really needed it, a few more times just for comfort, we've said scrap that and get radiators and double glazing in. As as to the last 2 mornings, frost really, frost are you serious? We really don't get the no heating thing, oh sorry I mean the crap heating thing. Has the weather changed here as well?

Cold in Aus!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:/QUOTE]

Know exactly what you mean mate, reminds me of staying at my grans as a kid........all I need now is mothballs in the draws and a potty under the bed:rolleyes: (grans toilet used to be outside:sad:)

Yep and the pee in the potty used to freeze over too:huh: used to make it extra unpleasant when you put your foot in it in the morning cos you'd forgotten to push it back under the bed in the night:wink: