Australian "Bogan"

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

The Oxford English Dictionary has added "bogan" to its list of new words being added to the dictionary this month.

The dictionary, which was first published in 1895, says bogan is a "depreciative term for an unfashionable, uncouth, or unsophisticated person, especially of low social status".

Australia's Macquarie Dictionary already defines a bogan as a "person, generally from an outer suburb of a city or town and from a lower socio-economic background, viewed as uncultured."

The Macquarie also offers various state-based alternatives including "bevan" and "bev-chick" (Queensland); "bog" (WA); "booner" or "charnie bum" (ACT); "chigger" (Tasmania); and "scozzer" (Victoria).

Other terms being added to the OED this month include "cybercast"; "paywall"; "quantitative easing" and "carpet-bomb".

I suppose we use the word "Feral" as well...............

Guest Guest75
Coward - or should that be 'pusillanimous poltroon'

Aha,some decent and delicious word play Jane. Love the use of words from around that era.

Guest Guest75
I'd rather mix with a load of "bogans"than mix with a load of folk who look down on people!

This is a "Bit of fun" post Moonraker. Just observing that the word has entered the dictionary.

Calm down - or go play with the "Chav's" next door:tongue:

Guest moonraker1959
This is a "Bit of fun" post Moonraker. Just observing that the word has entered the dictionary.

Calm down - or go play with the "Chav's" next door:tongue:

Erm,incase you did'nt notice Tyke my mood was breezy!I did'nt reply to this thread in an angry way,I was just stating my point of view.As for chavs next door,I would'nt know about that,I have people next door.