ipad v cheaper tablet versions

Guest The Dimmocks

Guest The Dimmocks

Looking at getting an ipad or a cheaper tablet version for our son. Which would you think is better for a child just to download learning apps etc.

You can get some pretty good android pads from companies like "light in the box " and " dino direct". Just make sure the touch screen is 5 point capacative, I purchased one for my partner which is ace, got an even cheaper version which was a resistive, but that was rubbish. You can even have it if you want.....

Although IPAD's get the most focus, I find the lack of integration a bind, so you cannot play flash files, some websites cannot load, and there is no USB without a special adaptor.

Our daughter paid $700 for the ipad 3, and uses it as a book reader, as it's other applications are more limited, the same could be said for android tabs, but at least you can get one for $150....

Guest The Dimmocks
You can get some pretty good android pads from companies like "light in the box " and " dino direct". Just make sure the touch screen is 5 point capacative, I purchased one for my partner which is ace, got an even cheaper version which was a resistive, but that was rubbish. You can even have it if you want.....

Although IPAD's get the most focus, I find the lack of integration a bind, so you cannot play flash files, some websites cannot load, and there is no USB without a special adaptor.

Thanks for the offer of your "rubbish one" but will decline LOL. He currently uses an ipad at Kindy so want something that is pretty similar to touch so may rule the cheaper tablet versions out. Been told Big W have an ipad 2 for £399 at the moment not sure if that a good price or not.

I won an ipad a few years back and wasnt really keen as it didnt have a camera and didnt think would use it. Sold it on ebay for over $600, was happy with that at the time and bet the lady who brought it kicked herself as a few months later the ipad 2 came out. Will head to the shops to see what is about.

Guest Helchops

If its for learning apps, there really isn't anything on the market that offers as much choice and intuitive apps as the iPad.

Go to the apple website to see their iPad education section.

Honestly as the owner of an iPad and Tab there is no comparison.

Guest Guest5035
Am I reading this right? Your son is 4 years old and you're getting him an iPad?? How about getting him some lovely books????

50 shades of grey..

stevo

Guest The Dimmocks

I have already read fifty shades.

Yes Diane he is 4 nearly 5 and we are getting him an ipad. They have 10 at kindy which the kids use on a daily basis. He is currently awaiting an autism assessment and if diagnosed would get funding to be used by the age of 7 to use on speech therapy, occupational therapy and lots of other services. If there is money left over then it can be used to buy educational equipment and ipads are recommended as they are great to help learning.

But to be honest I not sure why I just told you all that as I dont have to justify myself to you.

and for your info he has hundreds of books which is uses all the time.

Guest m.jephcott

I have just written an assignment on ipads and autism and would recommend the ipad over the tablet, there are far more apps specifically designed for children with ASD and they are more affordable than those for the cheaper tablet version.

They have 10 at kindy which the kids use on a daily basis. He is currently awaiting an autism assessment and if diagnosed would get funding to be used by the age of 7 to use on speech therapy, occupational therapy and lots of other services. If there is money left over then it can be used to buy educational equipment and ipads are recommended as they are great to help learning.

Seriously, lucky kindy.

Not to hijack your thread but at my son's pre school (we are still in the UK) we had to fundraise (I am on the committee so help with this) to buy a single computer for the kids to use at pre school :sad: Funding cuts meant they lost all their approved funding for new equipment and could not afford to buy it all themselves.

We are lucky in that at home we are an all Mac family and our son uses the computer to play the learning games and stuff from the App store. He doesn't use it much but sometimes goes through phases where he wants to play some of the games and puzzles. Some of them are pants but there are good ones also. We'll start giving him more computer time once he starts school so he can get to grips with it more alongside the school IT lessons. I've veered away from too much technology before school starts but realise once that kicks in it will step up a bit more.

We thought about an iPad for us as a family but have not gotten one yet. They cost a chunk and can't justify it atm. Although I may sell my Mac when we move to Aus and buy an iPad instead then as its more portable.

Guest The Dimmocks

They are a big kindy with a large number of children, they also have a number of kids with lots of disabilities. They have just got a new fancy TV/Interactive computer which is huge. It is a great Kindy and will be sad when my boys leave at the end of next term.

Seriously, lucky kindy.

Not to hijack your thread but at my son's pre school (we are still in the UK) we had to fundraise (I am on the committee so help with this) to buy a single computer for the kids to use at pre school :sad: Funding cuts meant they lost all their approved funding for new equipment and could not afford to buy it all themselves.

Lots of schools have to do the same thing here - have just been through the fundraising effort with the school our son attends.

Guest Django
Am I reading this right? Your son is 4 years old and you're getting him an iPad?? How about getting him some lovely books????

I thought it was obvious that if someone asked about an Ipad for a 4 year old there would be a good reason behind it.

I thought it was obvious that if someone asked about an Ipad for a 4 year old there would be a good reason behind it.

Yes I'm sure they've read the many published pieces of research into the negative effects of excessive screen time on kids of all ages, and it's good to see that the old "using the TV as a babysitter in the corner" has been superseded by more modern technology. I do like the fact that here in Australia the early years education system is generally a lot more geared to allowing kids to be kids rather than trying to hothouse them into being little robots before their time.

Guest The Dimmocks

We dont use our TV as a babysitter. I asked a simple question to help my son learn. I am all for people having opinions but dont judge people you dont know just by a simple question asked on a forum.

Guest Django
Yes I'm sure they've read the many published pieces of research into the negative effects of excessive screen time on kids of all ages, and it's good to see that the old "using the TV as a babysitter in the corner" has been superseded by more modern technology. I do like the fact that here in Australia the early years education system is generally a lot more geared to allowing kids to be kids rather than trying to hothouse them into being little robots before their time.

I would suggest that you nip out of your ivory tower every now and then and look into things such as autism and aspergers and find out the benefits of using technology such as an ipad. I kind of take offence that you assume that 'The Dimmocks' would allow their children to sit in front of the TV all day or do you know them personally? Its very easy to sit on your throne and tut at things you have dismissed without researched first, but a parent that is just trying to do the best for her child????

iPad all the way so easy to use and no viruses and simple easy updates. My 5 year old uses ours to play apps on now and then and can navigate it easily and choose her apps and play them and wether we like it or not it's the age of technology.

Guest Guest5035
iPad all the way so easy to use and no viruses and simple easy updates. My 5 year old uses ours to play apps on now and then and can navigate it easily and choose her apps and play them and wether we like it or not it's the age of technology.

can your 5 year old teach you how to spell on the ipad..:embarressed:.....wether !!!

stevo

and for what its worth i agree with dianes point of books at that age..

Edited by Guest5035

Surely reading on an iPad or from a book is good. It doesn't matter what platform it is on as long as a child is reading, surely.

Anyway, back to OP I would go iPad all the way. My wife has an iPad 2 and me the 3 and they are extremely good and I backup what mr Bacon says.

Guest The Dimmocks

[quote

Did you not see my post regarding the fact my child has lots and lots of books which he looks at everyday (he is currently lying on the sofa looking at one). The ipad is for extra help with his learning.

and I asked about ipad v tablet versions not ipad v books.

Edited by The Dimmocks
added extra bit

can your 5 year old teach you how to spell on the ipad..:embarressed:.....wether !!!

stevo

The 5 year old wrote it for me. Like they say stevo, you can't teach some old dogs new tricks. Now back to your chalk and board.