Red wine thread

Now I never need an excuse for a nice glass of red but when it's like it is outside at the moment it makes it that extra bit nicer.

So I thought I would start a thread based on what bottle of red is ticking the boxes at the moment. Include brand name, type and price and where purchased.

For me:

d'Arenberg

GSM - Grenache/Shiraz/Mourvedre

$15 from BWS

Guest Damien

d'Arenburg's Cab Sauv at $18 from Dan's is fab, a nice cheap bottle is Nosey Parker Shiraz, $12 and you can't go wrong. My parents are coming over in Jan, my dad will love the wine here. He's more a quantity than quality bloke so a 4l cask for $15 will make his day! P**s head.

Guest Guest75

Anyone into the ports here?? Not just for Christmas you know!!

Great winter warmers.

My Aussie friend gave me a liter the other day from his Hogshead (550 l) Oak barrel.

He bought it cheap in an auction.

He keeps adding a bit of brandy and other ports to it.

Marvelous!!

Guest BrianS

Mike press mp one, $27 ish from smaller bottle shops but knocks most $60 - $70 bottles out the window,

Yalumba the scribbler $16 at dans

Langmeil three gardens $18 at dans

D'arenberg cadenzia

Torbreck woodcutters Shiraz.

List could go on and on really

Guest jorose

Just drinking a nice Shiraz at the moment. It's Glimmer of Hope which is produced by Kangarilla Road Vineyard & Winery, Kangarilla Rd, McLaren Vale. I also like McWilliams Shiraz.

Guest yogi64

Let me see.

Two Hands, Gnarly Dudes Shiraz.

Wolf Blass, Gold Label.

Turkey Flat, Shiraz.

Grant Burge, Holy Trinity.

Whistler, Hubert Irving.

As for Port.

Grant Burge, 20yr old Tawny.

Uleybury Wines, White port.

Seppeltsfield, Para 21yr old Tawny.

Mike

Thanks for the input guys, certanly some reds now on my radar to try.

I love Black Cook sparkling Shiraz beats all the other sparkling shiraz hands down. Around $18 I think from BWS.

Great thread by the way! It's the Adelaide Hills Winter Reds Cellar Door Weekend this weekend too - 28-29 July 2012 - www.adelaidehillswine.com.au/events/ if anyone is interested.

Kerry

We were in Handorf over the weekend for a friends 30th and winetasting was on the agenda, some real good reds actually, Rockbare's Barossa Babe Shiraz was my fave.

Andy

Has anyone tried any of the Wild Fox organic wines? Have heard that organically-made wine pretty much avoids that "morning after" feeling...

Not that I'm a red wine drinker generally, but I'd be interested in something that doesn't give me a headache the next day!

Guest Shanners

...and for a cheaper tipple you can pick up some nice cleanskins (various reds & whites) from Serafino's in McLaren Vale for $5-$6 (you have to buy a case though - pity!!).

You can taste them before hand as well so you know that they are decent.

Cheers

Chris

Guest BrianS

Have tried the organic wines, they are ok. Not fantastic but ok, getting ones with minimal sulphur or 220 preservative would be better, or the drops they sell in dans that remove impurities.

Another good red for a great price is Rymill the yearling about $11 and very smooth.

Pushing the boat out tonight and having a bottle of bellas garden from two hands

Guest leeannekays

I have started my own red wine book and I log all the wines I have;-)) . Ive just had a lovely full bodied bottle from Langhorne Creek. $20 a bottle.

Leeanne x

Guest leeannekays

Love wolf bass:-)

Let me see.

Two Hands, Gnarly Dudes Shiraz.

Wolf Blass, Gold Label.

Turkey Flat, Shiraz.

Grant Burge, Holy Trinity.

Whistler, Hubert Irving.

As for Port.

Grant Burge, 20yr old Tawny.

Uleybury Wines, White port.

Seppeltsfield, Para 21yr old Tawny.

Mike

Guest leeannekays
Not a single person drinking Jacobs Creek Red's ?

I've always loved Jacobs Creek red, even in the uk.

I have had it here also.

I like wolf bass red too.

Leeanne x