Enough is enough weather

Guest Guest5035

Guest Barney Rubble
Totally peeeed off with the winter this year, has to be the coldest wettest longest winter in my time here....

Stevo

Do you have a part time job as a mind reader :policeman:

Walking to my car this morning and i stood outside and thought W.T.F.

"This has to be the coldest, wettest, longest winter in my time here...."

Drove to work trying to remember a worse one :nah:

Then again amnesia may be setting in, may have to wear a beanie to keep brain cells from seizing up ! :biglaugh:

It's a real shocker isn't it.

The cold started early this year.....in June and it's hardly let up with wind and rain since then.

My neighbour (been here 40 years) says that it's the worst she can remember..................................even the Northern Territory is looking good right now!

What must the new arrivals be thinking? This wasn't part of the sales pitch for sunny Australia. My OH detests winter and he's moaning about not spending this season here anymore.

My daughter and grandkids are still in Cape Town and they are having a bad winter too....maybe it's not just us suffering?

Tamara

I just keep reminding myself what winter in the UK is like. Not that it helps much when you get up in the morning and your living room is just 13C. Thank goodness our rental has ducted heating, although as I don't know how much it costs to run yet I refuse to put it on for more than a couple of hours a day.

If it seems like a long winter that's because it's been one! There was a thread started in April about how cold it was then, and here we are five months later and it's still freezing. Once we've had one bright day there'll be someone on here telling everyone that it's nice and warm nearly all year and how short the winters are ...

I knew before moving here that it wouldn't be sunny all year round, but got to be honest I didn't anticipate just how long the cold, dreary, wet weather lasts. Seriously thinking about whether this is what we're looking for long term.

Jim

Guest Guest75

Had me thinking too. Here in St Ives at the moment and the weather is lousy - grey ,cold drizzle and it is supposed to be summer here.

I can see a northern move for the Tyke household if the winters continue like this in SA!!

Yes, its been the 'pits' and not good for our first Winter in Adelaide - but ............. I'm determined not to be a Whinging Pom!

So, on the bright side .....

1. I haven't slipped over on the ice

2. I haven't had to scrape ice off the windscreen

3. Haven't had to shovel snow off the drive

4. Haven't had flights cancelled or not been able to get to the airport because of unpassable roads

5. We've had some great sunny days

6. The wattle and other spring flowers is cheerful

7. The roof doesn't leak

8. The heating is just about adequate and there's enough in the kitty to pay the next bill

9. There won't be a hosepipe ban

10. I know Spring (and a hot Summer) is just around the corner (and the solar should be up and running at the end of the month).

Edited by jtct

I just keep reminding myself what winter in the UK is like. Not that it helps much when you get up in the morning and your living room is just 13C. .

It's the height of Summer here in the UK and if the rain lets up and the temp gets up anywhere near 13C, well there will be thousands out on the beach in swimwear and Ice Cream sales will rocket :-)

Well now I know what I'll do during the winter months! I'll play like James Dean (with a shaved head and a much bigger nose), pull my collars up, my hands in my pockets and rebel without a cause:wink:

I used to live in Kuala Lumpur for a a couple of months. The Iranian New Year is usually held on the 20th of March (the day Spring comes). So that year on the 20th of March Spring would start at 1:45 PM (KL time) and I was sitting by the pool, enjoying a cold beer and the company of friends and great food. When we started congratulating each other on the New Year it suddenly hit me that I hadn't felt the season change. Unlike Iran where you can see, smell and feel seasons change. That awareness took away the joy out of me. So now, even though I appreciate long summers of working hard, drinking hard (well on the weekends), partying hard, loving hard, smiling forever... I don't mind a little glum weather to remind me how great summers can be:wink:

I don't know if I made any sense here, but guys even the 'weather' needs a break here and there:wink: I'm sure that you all feel the warmth of summer when you sit with your loved ones around you:smile: I'll try and send you some warm weather from this part of the world.

Cheers,

Ali

Yep,it's Cold all right!I must say though,i think it all depends on many things as to to how you percieve the Winters here.2010 Winter was to me the coldest i've experienced here.The rental we lived in was totally crap,no heating,dreary and dank.These issues seem to have a direct influence on how one feels about Winter as a whole IMO.When we arrived here in 2008 very helpful people on this site advised to layer up with Clothing in the Winter.What great advice,3 to 4 layers and its suddenly acceptable!Some days recently have been marvellous,it's just the nights and poor insulation here that are uncomfortable.Lets face it though,it's hardly Siberian.:wink:

We are here validating OH visa and must say that the nights are cold, but, the days are not too bad - we've had one day Thursday where the rain and wind were bad but other than that it's not been overly cold during the day. In fact my youngest as been in the sea the last 3 days!!!!!!

So to round up stop being so bloody British and stop asking about the weather......lol!!!!

In fact my youngest as been in the sea the last 3 days!!!!!!

So to round up stop being so bloody British and stop asking about the weather......lol!!!!

:notworthy: To your kid! It sounds like someone's having fun but I bet he (or she!)won't be doing that in a few years time lol! I think people are right; you do become acclimatised. Which is good when it gets hot but totally pants when it's this cold :sad: I guess kids don't feel the cold as much?

I don't believe talking / moaning about the weather is a uniquely British thing.....unless the people we share our lives with are wanna-be Brits :biggrin: Let's face it, no matter where you live or what your nationality, the weather affects what we do and how we do it so why wouldn't it be a topic of conversation or reason to complain?

I think Ali made a nice point. It is good to have definite seasons and I do love being rugged up at home or while watching the footy. I love the way 'our' creek has water rushing through it at the moment and I really love the wy the different seasons feel, smell and look different.

And while I'm very grateful I don't have to think about every drop of water, I am so over the rain now, thank you!

:frown: LC

Guest Guest5035

And while I'm very grateful I don't have to think about every drop of water, I am so over the rain now, thank you!

:frown: LC

here here...

stevo

wonder how many really thought australias weather was as cold as its been....

Guest Barney Rubble

Guess my 'whinge' was more of a comment on how many consecutive days we have had without blue skies. Then i get up this morning and there they are, cloud less blue skies all the way to the coast

We are soooooooo pleased to here this is a bad winter, its our first full winter here and its suprised us. Been having to repeat 'must not whinge, must not whinge' over and over, plus 'it's better than the UK, remember the UK'.

When we first arrived we heard a lot of South Aussie's head to Cairns around this time of year, we were like why? Safe to say we get it now, and will probably find ourselves heading over there in future winters.

Roll on the warmth and sunshine.:arghh:

As a girl who loves the sunshine, and whose primary reason on moving to Aus was for better weather, I would still take SA's cold winters over the presence of salt water crocodiles, stingers, unbearably high humidity in the summer, monsoon rains for at least a quarter of the year, and "mad as a cut snake" Queenslanders anyday!! :biglaugh::wink:

Totally agree Diane,everyday humidity is a killer,insects which fly at you,sea is so alluring but scared to go in it for fear of what might be lurking.

Queensland is great for a holiday, but for everyday living SA wins hands down.Lived in Brisbane and Cairns for a yr a few yrs back so able to compare.

Sue

Ive lived in Cairns for a while and this time of year is amazing- but the locals all get about with jackets on. When its 25 degrees. Lovely for us though.

Having said that, this is our 3rd winter here and we are now living in Crafers. Lovely summer, but **** its cold and wet. 3 degrees last night anyone? We've been having single figure nights for months now, and I can honsetly say I have never seen rain like Ive seen here, anywhere in Britain. This coming from a bloke that made weekly trips to wales for bike riding...

Two nights ago we had a rumble of thunder here that literally shook the house!

The main problem though is the houses I think. They still build houses here to keep cool- up in the Hills keeping cool is not a problem even on the 40degree days. The houses have really poor insulation, and often our house is colder inside than out in the day. You can see yout breath inside some mornings. It makes them expensive to heat too.

We are building a place in the hills now and our priority is insulation - double glazing, isulated walls, floors and roof space. This helps to keep heat out in summer too!

But on the plus side as someone pointed out, no scraping ice off windows, shovelling snow, icy roads etc. Last time we were there (dec 2010) it didnt get above 5 degrees, for 5 weeks!!!!

If you do find sun here in winter, its still warms your bones though, which is lovely.:cool:

Edited by Jimjustin

Having said that, this is our 3rd winter here and we are now living in Crafers. Lovely summer, but **** its cold and wet. 3 degrees last night anyone? We've been having single figure nights for months now, and I can honsetly say I have never seen rain like Ive seen here, anywhere in Britain. This coming from a bloke that made weekly trips to wales for bike riding...

Two nights ago we had a rumble of thunder here that literally shook the house!

Yeah, we're also in the hills and although it's a nice place the rain does become wearing after awhile (like you, I never saw this much rain in Britain - and I'm a Mancunian!) I'm surprised you don't have to scrape ice off the car windows, though - we do during winter pretty much whenever we leave one on the driveway overnight rather than in the garage.

Jim

Guest moonraker1959

Not sure why people whinge about the weather!You can't change it so best to just accept it!If you want to escape the chill,drive inland.I noticed in places like Mannum and beyond feel warmer.Always nice for a day trip up that way.Remember,there's no such thing as bad weather,just bad clothing!:wink: