Did someone really think we missed some of these things ?

AussieRob

I know we're all different and miss or don't miss different things, and I understand why some businesses fill that gap, like the butcher at Reynella selling Gammon, some of the british pubs selling smooth flow beer. They are different to what you get locally and it's a nice treat yourself to sometimes.

But and this what I've noticed they sell in Woolworths in Noarlunga....

English style baked beans ???? Do they really taste different to Aussie ones ?

Is Weetabix really that different to Weetbix ?

Is the PG tips tea that different to aussie Tetley's ?

My partner is Australian and almost each week I ask if we can have English Gravy rather than Aussie gravy as a bad joke, but really I am embarrassed because I don't think the difference is big enough for anyone to miss.

I'm not tyring to open a can of worms but just something I thought of when reading the post about beer.

The only things I'll maybe pay a bit extra for from the "english" section or elsewhere at our local supermarket are: Hellman's Mayonnaise, Branston Pickle, Pickled Red Cabbage, Ambrosia Custard, and Bisto Gravy powder...

I do notice a lot of Australian brands have more sugar added than their European equivalents - perhaps that's what the differences are in the products you've mentioned? Mind you, I still haven't found a decent replacement for a Tesco's chicken caesar wrap.....

The best gravy granules we found is "Greens " granules fr Woolies (any branch), with stuffing, it's tricky, all the ones we tried were no good. We still look for the English one(I think it's Coleman), they sell it at Foodland from time to time especially xmas time. There's also good English sausages/chipolata at the Central market.

I know we're all different and miss or don't miss different things, and I understand why some businesses fill that gap, like the butcher at Reynella selling Gammon, some of the british pubs selling smooth flow beer. They are different to what you get locally and it's a nice treat yourself to sometimes.

My partner is Australian and almost each week I ask if we can have English Gravy rather than Aussie gravy as a bad joke, but really I am embarrassed because I don't think the difference is big enough for anyone to miss.

I'm not tyring to open a can of worms but just something I thought of when reading the post about beer.

Guest Barney Rubble

I'm a tea drinker and i would say a lot of the time it is the water.

At a (Geordie) mates place in Surfers Paradise we had Blue Label tea and it was great, had the same here and even through a water filter did not taste the same.

Recent trip back i still preferred the pot of tea mum makes :wubclub:

Oh and the lamb roast too :wink:

New life, new country, new tastes - I'm in Australia now and learning to like most Aussie equivalents (except perhaps for Vegemite unless its the cheesy variety). Can't be bother faffing around for British products at inflated prices.

If I don't like it I try something else or make my own where appropriate!

When I was in the UK I swore that Heinz ketchup was the best and I wasn't a fan of the mastercook when I then got here. The other day Heinz was on on special at our local woolworths so I bought some thinking it would be nice to have some, however when I opened it, no one, including myself liked it. It made me realise that there are many things we like simply because it's what we are used to, not because it's better - except for sausages of course!! :biggrin:

NWM

No weetbix is nothing like weetabix!!!!!

I've been here 7 years and yes have adapted to the majority of aussie brands, but cant erase what i was used to for nearly 40 years (oops showing my age now!).

If i see an english brand of product, then yes i do tend to buy it.

P.s. coles sell weetabix! and PAXO!!!

It's no dramas really is it?! I do buy English recipe baked beans, just like them that's all... Weetabix is way different to weetbix but too expensive and they both last about 5 mins after the initial sugar rush so we tend to have porrridge instead, I love marmite (our mate ) and don't care what it costs and don't use it too often to mind about the price... I have found a tea I like but a coffee machine I like more...!!

pays your money and takes your choice! I am not afraid to say I like some English brands, I will buy them if I have the cash and don't if I don't... I order from M&S every now and again and it reminds me of home and good quality childrens clothes at good prices despite the postage rates, but we get most of our stuff at target and pumpkin patch for the children the rest of the time...(when there's a sale on!). I don't think that liking English brands every now and again makes me or anyone else less settled, so can smile at the posts making fun of those who do... I know why I am here, I know how settled I am here, and I will always prefer pork sausages even though I know some pretty amazing places to buy chicken and lamb ones! ;)

Play nicely people!

Weetabix is certainly different to Weetbix as others have said. The nearest I found is woolies home brand and have now become accustomed to it. The only thing I have regularly is HP sauce and for a treat now and again Mcvities Chocolate digestives because in over 6 years have not found a decent digestive

The only things I treat myself to are HP brown sauce and Lea & Perrins, the Aussie worcester sauce is just aweful, I've even converted many locals to L&P. Oh yeah, and the mother in law sends me Bombay Bad Boy Pot Noodles from the UK, lovely.

Guest Guest5035
Dont go out of our way to buy anything English...just whats the point!!

New life, new country, new tastes - I'm in Australia now and learning to like most Aussie equivalents (except perhaps for Vegemite unless its the cheesy variety). Can't be bother faffing around for British products at inflated prices.

If I don't like it I try something else or make my own where appropriate!

exactly...the clouds in the sky will be different next

stevo

Guest Barney Rubble
Chocky!I found a nice bar of rare Orange Aero last week,it was yumptious.The Cadburys here is not as good as in the UK.Now im dreaming of a Galaxy Caramel bar!:rolleyes:

There is a sweet shop in James Place in the city called Blackeby's and they had Galaxy Caramel plus caramac too. :idea:

Only thing I'll miss are my parents and brothers and sister (we are all scattered around the world as the result of a cruel government persecuting us for as small a crime as wearing clothes they don't like). So I'm not going to be hard on you guys. It's always good to carry something with you from the country you come from but for guys like me it is a blessing to be able to try new things, new ways and just keep learning and learning.:smile: I'm not going to say that you have had it easy but hey you have.

You all have moved to an English speaking country (with a different accent), have almost similar food interests with a touch here and there and lets face it the British community is a large one in Australia. Enjoy it people. I know I will. My sister lives in Europe, my brother in New Zealand, my parents go back and forth between the UK and Iran, my youngest brother won't be able to go out of the country for two years until he finishes the 'mandatory' military service and me well, I'm moving to Adelaide. Believe me right now, food is the least of my worries.

I just wish that some day me and all my family members could reunite and enjoy watching a beautiful dawn on a Southern Australian beach.:smile:

Sorry if I don't make any sense and to take away the focus on food related items on this post.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Guest The travelling brummie's

Id swap the taste of heinz tomato sauce and weetabix for a life by the beach any day!! Be glad you were lucky enough to be given a chance to live your life in Australia - this is supposed to be a positive website to help people out lets not moan about silly things cos in the big picture do they really matter????????