Texts & mobile calls advice

Guest onourway

Guest The travelling brummie's

Hi,

Not too sure about mobile provider deals i was with Vodaphone when i lived there and you can always get good international call deals with other providers too. Best way i found to communicate over the pond was Skype, and then obviously if you have or get yourself an iphone there are heaps of apps to downloads that let you call and message other iphones and smartphones for free - such as facetime - viber - whatsapp and the actual mobile version of skype.

Also we had a deal for international calls to back home on our home phone and internet package! something like 5c a minuite which isnt too bad!

Guest onourway

Thanks so much. It's more the texting from the UK.. my mom is stressing about texting costing a fortune because she's on payg.. do you know whether we have to pay to receive texts when in oz & whether similar packages to the UK are available in oz ie free texts etc. thanks again

Guest The travelling brummie's

No i never paid to recieve text messages whilst being there, Although get your mom to check whether she can actually recieve international text messages as my mom is on pay as you go and i cant text her from oz as her phone doesnt recieve international txs. Im sure whatever provider you go with ie telstra,vodaphone, optus, virgin.... you will be able to get an international deal where you can text cheap. As i say it may be worth her getting a smart phone so she can use an app such as whatapp or Viber where texts are free to any other user in the world and calls are free with wifi and 3g. I know it seems like a big thing to do but if your moving and she will be texting alot its well worth it in the long run!

Skype is a must have too!

good luck!