For Ali.............

Guest Guest75

Saw this and thought of you. Knowing your dislike of spiders...............:arghh:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5511[/ATTACH]

Hahahaha When I saw the post I was like oh oh! Tyke's posted a picture of a spider:biglaugh: I was close then eh? :biglaugh:

This might actually happen. So get this, today I sent an Email to the guy that I might share an apartment with and I told him the only reason I'm keen on apartments rather than houses is that I feel since they are elevated they might actually be immune to the creatures. Wishful thinking I know:tongue:

Cheers for post and the chuckle you brought to me:smile:

Ali

Haha, brought a chuckle. My wife is seriously considering hypnotherapy to get over her fear of spiders!

Gus doe hypnotherapy actually work? I might consider it as I know I will be walking down the streets with my eyes constantly on the look for one:wacko:

I think it does to a degree. I know someone who got over a fear of flying using it.

I just try to self-counsel. "It's only a spider, I have shoes that can squash it". If one climbs out of my glovebox while I am driving I may well die in the ensuing chaos though!

Gus how the hell would a spider be hiding in your glove box??? Has this ever happened?? OK now I'm freaking out:biglaugh:

Ali - to be fair when we were there on a visa activation/Reccie we saw the total of 2 spiders. Now I know it was Winter but I personally don't think there are too many more Spiders that come into the home than in the UK.

Anyway good luck with the move and enjoy!

Thank you for the well wishes:smile: To be fair I've never seen a spider inside a house in the UK. I mean everyone keeps talking about them and how big they are. Maybe they're afraid of me as much as I'm afraid of them. What do you think?:biglaugh:

I've been told that spiders like to hide in Cars because of the relative warmth at night - I'm not sure if its true!!!

If I ever get down to driving in Adelaide I'll bug bomb the car every morning!:wink:

Thank you for the well wishes:smile: To be fair I've never seen a spider inside a house in the UK. I mean everyone keeps talking about them and how big they are. Maybe they're afraid of me as much as I'm afraid of them. What do you think?:biglaugh:

I think most animals are scared of us humans it's just that we let our minds be influenced by TV, forums, etc.....lol

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi
I think it does to a degree. I know someone who got over a fear of flying using it.

I just try to self-counsel. "It's only a spider, I have shoes that can squash it". If one climbs out of my glovebox while I am driving I may well die in the ensuing chaos though!

We were coming home in the car the other week and my youngest says "Mummy, there's a spider down there on the floor." Then my daughter's friend says "Oh so there is"

I, trying to stay calm and keep them calm, say "It's only a little one though isn't it?" -(I know that's irrelevant really!)

To which they all reply "No, it's a big one!"

Just as I'm pulling over to get out and get it... "Mum, quick, it's going under your seat!!"

Got out and they said it had gone between my seat and the middle console. Well it can't have been that big because I couldn't see the bloody thing anywhere. Had to give up in the end and get back in the car but it was an interesting drive home the rest of the way that's for sure!!

Guest Guest75

To be honest it is not as bad as you think.

Everything is new here is is highlighted and sensationalized.

You do become "accustomed" over time. It's time and positive reinforcement - not all spiders are in a death squad waiting to pounce when you are most unaware ya know!!!

They do still make you jump if in the wrong situation such as a car interior:arghh:

This made me chuckle, I too am absolutly terrified of anything that crawls or flies with more than 2 legs!!! Bug bomb the house regularly and you'll see next to nothing- we occasionally get millipedes or the odd earwig (which can be big lol) Bomb the car whilst it's in the garage (i do about every 6 months)

My biggest fear is grasshoppers, for some reason they scare the living daylights out of me (much to the amusement of those around me)

Seriously though there are far less than you think there will be :)

I think most animals are scared of us humans it's just that we let our minds be influenced by TV, forums, etc.....lol

Believe it my mind is killing me with the spider problem. I'm working on it though. I have less than two weeks to go. But I'm sure that once I'm there and I see them a couple of times I'll be wishing never to see them again:biglaugh: So when are you guys planning to move then?:smile:

Spiders being poisonous is one thing my stomach being weak is another.:arghh: I can't look at them and I've been trying to look at their pictures on the internet. I think Tyke is right though, after a dozen encounters you'll somehow get used to them. In any case they have to stay out of the house and the car:biglaugh:

Guest USA soon just SA

I don't know if or how much they do halloween in Australia, but if it is anything like here, you may be in for some seriously large fake spiders in people's yard displays. Maybe seeing dozens of meter-long spiders will make the tiny ones seem much less like a "death squad" - i love that term!

Ali - if you don't go looking for them you will be fine. I used to be quite scared of them but most of them are harmless. Well most of the ones that I have come across are. I still don't like them in the house but now I can at least move them to outside of the house without having to kill them. (Unless they are poisonous and then they get sprayed!) Don't move to Darwin whatever you do - all the bugs are bigger there! But definitely worth a visit for holidays, absolutely gorgeous part of Australia and not to be missed.

Ali - if you don't go looking for them you will be fine. I used to be quite scared of them but most of them are harmless. Well most of the ones that I have come across are. I still don't like them in the house but now I can at least move them to outside of the house without having to kill them. (Unless they are poisonous and then they get sprayed!) Don't move to Darwin whatever you do - all the bugs are bigger there! But definitely worth a visit for holidays, absolutely gorgeous part of Australia and not to be missed.

Kris how do you remove them from the house? Is there some sort of device that picks them up without you having to touch them? Tyke was saying that he uses the vacuum to pick them up. If I managed to pick them up without touching them and having have to seeing them, is there a place or organization that collects them or will I have to just release them outside?

Darwin might be off my holiday books then:biglaugh: I always thought that since Darwin was up in the North the bugs would be less in numbers over there. I've come to understand that the number of snakes and spiders are greater in Queensland.

Damn, I should stop the obsession! Like you said the less you look for them the less chance of seeing them:wink:

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

Kris how do you remove them from the house? Is there some sort of device that picks them up without you having to touch them? Tyke was saying that he uses the vacuum to pick them up. If I managed to pick them up without touching them and having have to seeing them, is there a place or organization that collects them or will I have to just release them outside?

Darwin might be off my holiday books then:biglaugh: I always thought that since Darwin was up in the North the bugs would be less in numbers over there. I've come to understand that the number of snakes and spiders are greater in Queensland.

Damn, I should stop the obsession! Like you said the less you look for them the less chance of seeing them:wink:

Ali

A lot of people, including me....use a "see through" drinking glass and then use a card of some sort. You put the glass over the spider to trap it there .. this is assuming it is on the wall or floor or some sort of flat surface and then you slide the card underneath the glass, hold firmly and then.....don't trip....but walk it out to the back garden. Tyke uses the "woosy, woosy" :biglaugh:method of removing spiders.

Hey, there you go Ali.....there's a business idea for you....removing spiders....there might be a few takers.....just on this forum alone

Edited by Toni

Actually I've been thinking about it. A nice and efficient gadget would be making quite a buzz not only in Australia but all over the world:wink: I've even thought of its design:wink:

Ali

Guest Guest75
A lot of people, including me....use a "see through" drinking glass and then use a card of some sort. You put the glass over the spider to trap it there .. this is assuming it is on the wall or floor or some sort of flat surface and then you slide the card underneath the glass, hold firmly and then.....don't trip....but walk it out to the back garden. Tyke uses the "woosy, woosy" :biglaugh:method of removing spiders.

Hey, there you go Ali.....there's a business idea for you....removing spiders....there might be a few takers.....just on this forum alone

Oi you!!!:tongue:

"Woosy" indeed?????!!!!

Should have been here today.........

Cutting some old gum that still had bark on.......... happens soooo many times but a Centipede was under the bark - chainsaw loosened the bark and the Centipede flew up and stuck of my safety glasses.

How I hate those suckers.!!!!!! Don't know if it is their colour or the way they move but I hate every 40mm's of them!!:arghh: