Buying in UK and shipping to Aus - customs query

Guest onourway

Guest onourway

Has anyone had any experience of buying in the UK and shipping to Australia? Thinking DVDs and books etc bought on sites like eBay, Play and Amazon. Just wondering if I'd get stung on customs charges as items arrived in Australia?

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

I've bought books, DVDs, clothes for kids and various other bits and pieces and never had an issue with customs or charges for anything.

I think the allowances over here are quite high (I've got $1000 in my head for some reason but no idea if that's right or not!!)

Edited by Mrs Bon Jovi

I do know of a recent returnee who got stuck with customs charges on new items. Not they had masses but they did get charged.

Be careful, take wrappers off, don't leave everything brand new in boxes unused looking. I'm sure stuff like books and DVD's are not going to raise eyebrows but if you are planning on shipping over lots of the same to sell on or something they may start asking questions. But single items for personal use I doubt would give you problems.

Yep....Defo a $1000....just recieved my latest collection of blurays as they are cheaper to buy even with postage!

Although the Gov is looking at lowering the $1000 limit to make Aus more competitive!!

Not sure how hitting shipped goods makes Aus more competitive. It simply forces the consumer to buy from uncompetitive sources! Aus companies are years behind when it comes to online trading (and online presence generally if you look at the design of many websites over here), and their answer is to lobby government to stop consumers from buying from overseas, instead of getting their own act together. Rant over - I feel better for that :biggrin:

Jim

Not sure how hitting shipped goods makes Aus more competitive. It simply forces the consumer to buy from uncompetitive sources! Aus companies are years behind when it comes to online trading (and online presence generally if you look at the design of many websites over here), and their answer is to lobby government to stop consumers from buying from overseas, instead of getting their own act together. Rant over - I feel better for that :biggrin:

Jim

Not all e-commerce sites are bad. I think mine is OK!!!

• 1 month later...