Motorbikes, which is best

Guest Guest5035

Guest Guest5035

Knowing nothing about bikes except my mail is delivered by one, can anyone shed light on the best learners motorbike. Much to our dislike our son (old enough to know better) wants to sell his car and buy a bike, he has his eyes on a Kawasaki Ninja, is this good or any better ones out there, really prefer a new one with a warranty etc etc.

Stevo

Kawasaki Ninja is a city bike. It has good maneuver and its fast and yet not that heavy. I have never had a ride on one but my kid brother does. It all depends on who is riding it and how skilled and careful they are really. If I manage to secure a 'paying job' soon I too will sign up for a motorcycle license but I will be looking at something around 250 cc for starters (I'm not sure what type of bikes you are allowed to ride at the beginning though.)

I hope this helps Stevo.

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

They are a good bike but if I was looking at getting a 1st bike the Yamaha XJ6 are well balanced and well made bike.

I would probably put the order of quality in build something like this:

Honda CBR

Yamaha XJ6

Kawasaki Ninja

Honda's are the best build and the most reliable do not touch the Chinese makes!

Hope this helps.

Mis

Edited by Misplaced

They are a good bike but if I was looking at getting a 1st bike the Yamaha XJ6 are well balanced and well made bike.

I would probably put the order of quality in build something like this:

Honda CBR

Yamaha XJ6

Kawasaki Ninja

Honda's are the best build and the most reliable do not touch the Chinese makes!

Hope this helps.

Mis

You are spot on. My brother was telling me to get a Honda CBR. Well I will have to see about that and check the prices first.:smile:

The CBR is great bike but Honda's are more expensive than Yamaha or Kawasaki.

I had the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion S and it was a great bike. Good acceleration, cornering and balance. I would have chosen the CBR but Yamaha had 0% finance deal on so it was a no brainer.

When I get to Oz I am looking at getting a cruiser as the roads there cry out for cruising. May also get a 250 for commuting but will have to see how the land lies on that.

Knowing nothing about bikes except my mail is delivered by one, can anyone shed light on the best learners motorbike. Much to our dislike our son (old enough to know better) wants to sell his car and buy a bike, he has his eyes on a Kawasaki Ninja, is this good or any better ones out there, really prefer a new one with a warranty etc etc.

Stevo

Hi Stevo,

Sorry to be the killjoy here...really funny replies though!

Anyway...OH worked for emergency services his entire working life before moving here...take out a loan, get a second job, sell your body if need be...but do anything you can to get him a better car and keep him away from bikes. I have the same problem with my own sons and they know about the personal losses their father dealt with through friends wiping out on bikes. Now I just have a son who's a hoon in big engined Ford!

Tamara

I agree with Tamara. Given the engineering and performance of todays machines I find it utterly ridiculous that Australia can even contemplate classifying the majority of the allowed motorcycles as learner approved. The UK limits learners to 125cc's for a reason.

If your boy HAS to get a bike then try to make sure it's not a sporty one with drop bars as they are crap to learn on.

List of learner legal bikes can be found here

http://www.sa.gov.au/subject/Transport%2C+travel+and+motoring/Motoring/Motorcycling/Motorcycles/Learner+approved+motorcycles

Edited by sidestep

Stevo the kawasaki ninja range is a great start. Definately not a city bike !!! Lol .I used to have a zx9r ninja which i loved and recently got a Honda 954rr fireblade. Riding a bike sensibly makes you more aware and a better car driver. Bikers never just fall off. They are normally knocked off by hoons in their

Big engined fords and holdens.

Stevo the kawasaki ninja range is a great start. Definately not a city bike !!! Lol .I used to have a zx9r ninja which i loved and recently got a Honda 954rr fireblade. Riding a bike sensibly makes you more aware and a better car driver. Bikers never just fall off. They are normally knocked off by hoons in their

Big engined fords and holdens.

I didn't really want to get into the debate of cars being safer than bikes etc.

However, my own opinion is that any vehicle is dangerous. When a bike is ridden sensibly and not like a madman the only dangers to the rider is those in a car/bus/lorry etc. and wildlife.

If we take the arguement of a car is safer,yes it is but when driven badly it is more of a danger to other road users especially those on 2 wheels.

I for one think any transport is safe as long as those that use it are aware of its dangers to them and more importantly others.

Guest Guest5035
I've decided that I might start with a Honda CBR 250 CC. Is there anything within its class built by Yamaha or Suzuki that might be cheaper?

Ali i know the Honda CB125 is $2490 ride away..

Stevo

Ali i know the Honda CB125 is $2490 ride away..

Stevo

Thanks Stevo. But I'm looking at financing the bike. Not paying anything upfront as for now I need all the cash I can keep. Any advice on this?:smile:

cheers,:smile:

Ali

Guest tinkham_lee

I had a Suzuki GS500F in England, over here its learner legal without being restricted. It was a great bike, very easy to ride, comfortable and never had a problem with it. I had it 2.5 years. Its not the most powerful learner legal but it will have no problem keeping up with the traffic. it looks like a sports bike but has more of an upright riding position which makes it more comfortable on longer rider.

I personally think some of the 600cc learner legal bikes are too powerful for a new rider.