IT contractors in Aus

Guest Chris_J

Guest Chris_J

Are any of you IT contracting. I've got a job yay :-) its a 6 month contract through an agency who are obviously taking their fee so I think it's like an umbrella company. What else do I need pay or watch out for claim etc. I never contracted in the UK only ever been a full time permy.

Guest bubbe2005
Are any of you IT contracting. I've got a job yay :-) its a 6 month contract through an agency who are obviously taking their fee so I think it's like an umbrella company. What else do I need pay or watch out for claim etc. I never contracted in the UK only ever been a full time permy.

is it contract to hire??? seek shows perm IT positions also...

Guest bubbe2005
I'll be interested in the reponses that you get to this Chris as I will be in a similar position once we sell the Goddam house. Which Agency did you use if you do not mind me asking?

Good Luck

Mis

what position will you be seeking?

Guest Twistedkemo

SA Health are undertaking a MASSIVE transition from their existing systems to a more integrated system, pretty much all hospitals, support services, allied health, gp etc (see EPAS) will be moving. Not sure where your expertise lies, but most definitely google sa health + EPAS.....

ive worked for agencies as long as I have been in oz and have never been out of work through the government departments, try hays, well worth the recommendation ...

Guest bubbe2005
What do you mean contract to hire? I had 3 interviews 2 were perm and this one which is a contract on an hourly rate.

here in the USa they call it C2H, after a 3 month contract or 6 month contract they will look into the option to hire you pending BUDGETS.

Guest bubbe2005

after contracting for 2.5 years cause the company I work for are too cheap to hire me, I will not be looking into contract positions again. I have to try to look for a perm position. Job security!!

Guest bubbe2005

are you contracting as a sys admin? or net admin?

Guest Chris_J

Sys Admin. I get you now with the contract to hire. I am going to a government department and if I can do as well as twistedkemo then I will be happy. Can I just ask if you have a mortgage and get approved ok as a contractor?

Guest Chris_J

Sorry bubbe it's not contract to hire, not too sure what I want but security is nice. It's not brilliant contract money but pretty good money if it was perm. It works out nearly 12 on my old uk salary.

Guest bubbe2005
Sys Admin. I get you now with the contract to hire. I am going to a government department and if I can do as well as twistedkemo then I will be happy. Can I just ask if you have a mortgage and get approved ok as a contractor?

I'm not even there yet But i wish i was!!!

I'm still waiting on SA SS approval. Sys admin also.

are you working int he CBD by any chance? and what suburb are you currently residing in?

Let me know how the car finace and mortgage goes on having an IT contract job....cause I really don't know tbh. Ask Andrew Williams on here and see what he says.

Are you ready to buy a house already?

Guest bubbe2005
Sorry bubbe it's not contract to hire, not too sure what I want but security is nice. It's not brilliant contract money but pretty good money if it was perm. It works out nearly 12 on my old uk salary.

i am not going to ask you your hourly rate, but when i see on seek for perm its 50-60K depending on job title and certs or experience.... hourly rate i've seen 25+, is your hourly rate anywhere near the figures I mentioned? or is it all a lie?? I have read hays reports for desktop support/sys admin 5-7 yrs experience average rate 25-30, perm $60K

Guest Chris_J

It will be in the CBD and we are in Hackham for a few more weeks yet. No car finance, we bought a car outright it's just a 2004 Astra but its doing the job. As for a mortgage we are going to wait 12 months as we've only been here 2 weeks.

Guest Chris_J

When you say sys admin what do you do? Desktop or server etc? I was applying for about 70k and getting calls for anything from 50 to 70 depends how good you come across I guess. As for hourly rate, I would say that is a little low.

Guest bubbe2005
When you say sys admin what do you do? Desktop or server etc? I was applying for about 70k and getting calls for anything from 50 to 70 depends how good you come across I guess. As for hourly rate, I would say that is a little low.

thanks for the heads up, yes sys admin with AD experience and backup and restore experience, no server exp yet

70K is BRILLIANT! how many years sys admin experience do you have may i ask? 7?

Guest bubbe2005
70 may be high be 60 is good. I have 12 years IT experience split up with desktop and server and Cisco networking, some VMware, Citrix and exchange

can't beat that!!! now you'll have LOCAL experience and more job offers should come your way after the 6 month contract!!!

Guest Rustyspoon

I am here nearly three weeks now and there seemed to be a good number of sys admin roles available.

Like Chris I have 12 or so years experience & certs in AD, windows server - SQL, mail etc, Citrix and virtualisation along with L1 & 2 stuff. One of things I have been asked the most is storage experience I only have a small bit of iSCSI SAN in a HA cluster but if you had more you would be snapped up.

For the last two weeks I have had interviews every day after registering with Robert Walters, Paxus and Hays.

Had two permanent position job offers on the table yesterday with the possibility of another contract role.

Accepted one and start Monday week, money wise I was looking for 80k ish and got it plus super and phone, laptop & home Internet etc.

Interestingly 50% of people interviewing me have been poms, as have a couple of the agencies.

Guest Chris_J

Who was your job offer with? I wonder if it was one I missed out on :-) through Robert Walters. Fair play Rustyspoon, sounds like you have a bit more experience than me. There does seem a bit of storage work at the moment, but I have no experience there really.

Guest Chris_J

Rustyspoon is your name Eamon? Excuse the spelling. If it is you, they seem like a good company especially for concentrating in one area. They were my second choice I got the one I wanted but job security would be good.

Guest bubbe2005
Hi Guys,

Hays do an annual salary guide for all types of IT positons if you need to get an idea of salaries. Its on their website

http://hays.com.au

The guide covers all types of jobs (not just IT)

Cheers

Chris

I have this salary guide as others but i wonder how TRUE these hourly rates are and salary rates are based on the amount of experience one has.